Face it niggers. the only reason you prefer metric is because your brain is incapable of making too many calculations

face it niggers. the only reason you prefer metric is because your brain is incapable of making too many calculations

it's more just to fuel their superiority complex, actually

Troll thread aside, I don't understand why Europeans get so worked up over the fact that Americans know both systems of measurement while they know only one.

capable doesn't imply that it is a good idea

you can walk just fine with a fork up your ass but why the fuck would anyone rational do that

yeah lol their lives suck so they have to come up with bullshit memes to make themselves feel better.

>Americans know both systems of measurement
>being this delusional

Imperial is a lot more comfortable to talk about for real-world human measurements. How tall something is measured in feet is more comfortable in feet and inches. How far away something is is better measured in miles than km. lbs. is significantly more practical unit of weight to talk about than kg, and F numbers spread over a much more practical human-temperature range than C or K. You don't really need to have easy conversion from one to the other to have a useful system of measurement. When it does become relevant, you can always convert Imperial into metric and do all your engineering or w/e.

we do faggot

>How far away something is is better measured in miles than km.
y
>F numbers spread over a much more practical human-temperature range than C
when do you need more granularity than 1 C in casual conversation?

is evidence that you don't.

Anyone that works in a field that requires an amount of mechanical knowledge will know both

We're taught metric in middle school science classes and use it in science classes all through high school.

>this guy's opinion
>on a science board

>How far away something is is better measured in miles than km.
>y

Because I'm Murrican and I have an intuitive feel about how far a mile is. Your distance metric is a mystery to me. How big is a meter? I dunno. How big is a thousand of them? I have a hard time conceiving of a thousand of anything in any kind of concrete spatial way. So I dunno.

Imagine you were taught to think in base 10 (that's IIIIIIIIII many). Now you want to learn binary. I don't know if it's possible to do understand how large a binary number is without first converting it to base 10. That's what it's like using Imperial and metric simultaneously.

tl;dr i know how far a mile is but i don't know how far a meter is so the only way i can conceive of a kilometer is to do km*1.6=mi

>Americans know both systems of measurement while they know only one.
So how many pounds weight 58 Kilogram
How many inches are 56 meters
How many liters are 21 gallons
How many watts are 24 horsepower.
If Amerifats can't answer this without going to Google then Americunts know only the retarded system.

Canadian here. We use a combintion of a the two.

if someone says its 25 lbs I can roughly mentalize how heavy it would be. I couldnt do the same for kilograms.

If someone says they are 5"7' I can visualize that. I couldn't do the same for 120 cms

However I know that 30 degrees C feels like. If someone says its 50 degree F I have no idea what that would be.

It all depends on what you grew up with and whats intuitative to you.

It is ultimately subjective. And that goes both ways. The only merit to metric is simplified conversion. The metric unit measurement standards were honestly poorly chosen. A meter is an uncomfortable unit of measurement. We could have used feet, and just used decimal and scientific notation.

ie. 8.3 feet or 8.23 E^(-23) feet. But we don't. We use metric for that because it came designed to be used that way. a "kilofoot" would have probably triggered the already triggered nancies who were upset with the breakaway colonies.

It astounds me how often people like you claim superiority under guise of "science" when you're really just close minded about the business.

America uses metric in most engineering and science and medicine. Even at risk of mistake sometimes, in the case of medicine. Nurses have to be trained because if they misread a doctor's handwriting and confuse metric notation due to the written similarity, they could kill somebody.

Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of both systems doesn't make us retards.

how eactly are you planning to verify whether or not they googled the shit retard?

Off the top of my head
2.2 lbs per kg
2.54 cm in an inch
3.8 liters per gallon
Irrelevant. Watts are used for almost everything in the US relating to power. Horsepower is only ever used in the context of automobile and this is an international standard.

You can now use this information to convert the quantities you asked for. I'm not going to waste time doing the math.

>face it niggers. the only reason you prefer metric is because your brain is incapable of making too many calculations

No.

The reason i dont prefer metric is because no human is exactly 1000 cm tall etc. No human is exactly 100 cm wide. The metric system results in a lot of waste in the form of waste cuttings.
The only reason it exists is because it makes some maths nerd happy.

>Irrelevant.
Exactly. The relevant questions are:

How many feet are 12 and 1/4 inches?
How many gallons are 36 fluid ounces?

You can easily do the corresponding conversions in metric.

No human is 1000 feet tall. Your cock is not exactly 2 inches long.

Why do I have to verify? No mater if burgers give correct answer here.
Although some burgers are so unfamiliar with the metric system that they don't even know what "Kilogram" means, let alone convert it to pounds.

36/128 so a bit more than a quarter. Calculating it gives me .28

Again, this is all irrelevant. None of these are necessary to convert. There is no practical reason to have 36 oz converted to gallons.

How does any of this detract from the fact that Americans have a knowledge of both systems while Europeans only know the one. Having difficulty converting between to different systems of measurement doesn't even invalidate the fact that one would know both.

Keep repeating this as if it's true. We learn how to convert lbs to kg, C to F, and all other relevant conversions in elementary school as early as the first grade.

My cock is exactly 8 inches

OK, let's suppose that Americans know both systems equally well, and they are equally good. Then this is redundant, and you'd be better off just using one. In that case the logical choice is being compatible with the world, unless you want to build a wall around your country. Oh, shit, you do...

Exactly? Not 8.3?

appeal to conformity? seriously? On a science board?

Why jpeg?

>more knowledge is a bad thing
Why are you so insecure about knowing 1 system of measurements to the point you want to drag everyone down with you? Anyone who uses both, like Canadians and older Brits will tell you there are situations where imperial is much better.

Not conformity, practicality. You know, standards, collaboration, etc.

Then why not 3 or 4 systems? Are you lazy or just dumb?

August sixteenth, two-thousand and seventeen

vs.

sixteenth of August, two-thousand and seventeen

which one is the more shorter and more fluid version? The american one.

Name me a 3rd or 4th system that is used by a significant portion of the population and has any practical applications. You're being obtuse for no reason other than you're insecure.

Just made up them for shits and giggles. The more "knowledge" the better, isn't it?

That's not a valid response. Try learning how to parse information correctly before arguing.

>If someone says they are 5"7' I can visualize that. I couldn't do the same for 120 cms
120 cm is too short, 170 cm is ideal.

120 is ideal. Can suck while standing straight so you can put your ashtray on her head.

2017-08-17
American one is as retarded as other legacy date formats.

If it was 8.3 I would have said 8.3

>significant portion of the population
If conformity is important, then metric wins.

Are you retarded or something? That's not at all what that means.

Strawman argument.

>more knowledge
But that isn't knowledge you cretin. I know that this plank is 1m long. Restating this fact within a different measuring system isn't a new fact.

Also
>the idiots itt who say that imperial is more "natural", not realizing it feels that way to them just because they are used to it

The other one has literally one syllable more, which might as well be dropped. "Fluidity" is arbitrary and if you drop the "of" I feel literally no difference between them. If you legitimately do feel some difference, it would go away after some time of regular usage.

You have a limited idea of what knowledge is.

>>the idiots itt who say that imperial is more "natural", not realizing it feels that way to them just because they are used to it
I was born and raised in a metric country. Moved to the US later in live. I prefer imperial for a lot of things.

>More knowledge
More useless & illogical garbage knowledge is a bag thing. Specially if they slow down calculation as Amerifat units.

>I prefer imperial
Now, *that's* a great argument. I'm sold!

The argument that natural comes from what you're used to was made. I gave a counter example. Good one, autist.

how are we saying this?

two zero one seven zero eight one seven

or do we only notate the date year-month-day and then translate it audibly with more clarity like

seventeenth of August, two-thousand and seventeen.

(also why did you jump a day)

Leave yourself a tool like 1 meter, 1 meter=3 feet then add 3.37 inches so multiply. One mile is 5280 feet, the point was we think more do the math euro fag we do. Water freezes at 0° what a kek

Oh, then I guess that the plank is also 5 zozzgoggles long and √836 tooteepoos long! I can make up my own knowledge, that's so much fun and so useful!

In which cases do you prefer imperial?

Fuck off, OP.

Fuck off! Day is not metric. It's centiyear.

Sure, but there is no practical application of what you just made up, and there is no population that uses your system, so it's even useless for communicating quantities. I prefer Fahrenheit, fluid ounces, and feet and inches in my day to day life.

A tool is only good if you know how to use one. Too bad that head of yours is dead weight nozzelongs in length oh my god holy I'm laughing so hard.
Because I use tools and wrenches all day I perfect imperial because 2mm through 50mm damn wrenches are to fucking many I like having less bolt sizes as well it's dumb. Screw foreign cars Chinese crap time is wasted using your crappy tools

>the idiots itt who say that imperial is more "natural", not realizing it feels that way to them just because they are used to it
Americans can't justify it logically so they start resorting to "muh feelings" illogical arguments.

LESS TOOLS FAGGOT

>I prefer Fahrenheit, fluid ounces, and feet and inches in my day to day life.
Do you really have a choice if you live in the US? You may suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

you can't justify the arbitrary units metric uses either. At least imperial's arbitrary units have a practical basis.

You must be illiterate.

high quality thread

Yes I do. Everything I own has both. Every ruler has a metric side, every thermometer has a Celsius setting, every scale has metric settings, every food package has a metric weight or volume listed, and every measuring cup has metric markings.

Nice theory though.

>there is no practical application of what you just made up
So knowledge is only what has practical application? You have a limited idea of what knowledge is!

>I prefer Fahrenheit, fluid ounces, and feet and inches in my day to day life.
Ok, but why? What makes those superior?
By the way, I wonder which one you'd prefer if you moved back to your home country and had to use metric again.

>So knowledge is only what has practical application? You have a limited idea of what knowledge is!
Strawman

>Ok, but why? What makes those superior?
I don't know, I just prefer it. We're talking about preferences. I don't need to analyze it.

>By the way, I wonder which one you'd prefer if you moved back to your home country and had to use metric again.
My preference wouldn't change just because people around me didn't know imperial. What line of reasoning is that?

>how are we saying this?
today
>(also why did you jump a day)
Time zones. Time is not divided into days.

>At least imperial's arbitrary units have a practical basis.
Erm, you practice what you were taught.

I was taught both.

I have a hard time conceiving 5280 of something. This isn't a valid argument. I doubt you conceive a mile as the number of feet within it, much like how I know how long a kilometre is. I can, however, do my conversion much faster than you, since I just need to add or take 3 zeros.
Since when was an anecdote valid evidence for anything?

I bet you Amerifags don't even know what your unit of mass is.

>time zones
I'm aware time zones exist but now the example case is forced to use two instances of "seventeen" which weakens the clarity of any example. The initial date chosen was convenient. Changing it to YOUR day brings a chance of confusion for nothing other than to satisfy your own egocentric wants.

>Since when was an anecdote valid evidence for anything?
When the premise is personal preference, you autist.

>I bet you Amerifags don't even know what your unit of mass is.
Pounds

It's not me. Veeky Forums shows me retarded local time, because amerifags don't know anything else.

Not really, you were coerced into conformity with your environment. I was taught French, but I don't use it.

Wrong.

Nobody asked for your personal preference. The comment was made on how American's feel natural using their retarded units because it is all they ever used, and you gave an anecdote as evidence against that.
>Pound
That is your unit of force. Mass is measured in slugs. Your system is so backwards that you measure mass in units of force, which is only useful when used in the context of gravity. Yet another unnecessary conversion.

slugs is used sometimes, however lbs. is used for both mass and force. In a context where the difference between the two has to be specific we usually just use something else, but sometimes we use lbf.

That ancedote was direct evidence against an absolute statement.
>because it is all they ever used
The anecdote was about how as someone who grew up with metric I have some imperial preferences.
>pound or pound-mass is a unit of mass used in the imperial, United States customary and other systems of measurement.
Slugs aren't used as frequently.

Thanks for playing.

Another nice thing about the Imperial system is the abbreviations.
pound - lb
ounce - oz
Is it logical? No. Is it intuitive? No. But you are sooo used to it, it must be the BEST on the world, like everything American.

Where does the letter "μ" appear in the word micro?

It's necessary evil for disambiguation, and the most logical one can come up with, after M, which is also used.

>anecdote
>evidence
You are on a science board user

OP got what he wanted.

Why oh why is Veeky Forums so fucking easy to troll?

It comes from the lower case Greek letter Mu, and in order to keep consistency we don't double up on prefixes.

The abbreviations are distinct. This is important. Confusing a poorly written cm with mm can kill somebody.

>you are on a science board user
No one here is doing science. Likewise, the premise isn't scientific. It doesn't warrant actual evidence.

So nowhere is what you're saying.

>>Why do we use imperial?
pic related (from op pic)
>>Why do faggots use metric?
OP said it, but everybody changed the topic to avoid the facts.
/thread

>No one here is doing science. Likewise, the premise isn't scientific.
No true Scotsman...

>So nowhere is what you're saying.
I didn't say the letters of abbreviation must appear on the original unit name. Only that it's nice if it's logical and intuitive.

>/thread

No! The shitshow must go on!

>No true Scotsman...
What science is being conducted here on Veeky Forums? How is the premise of this argument scientific? Don't throw around terms you don't understand.

It's a shame nobody posted this yet!

Canada should be green

>red & blue map
>Sees green
t. Color blind.

Myanmar also uses both systems

Look at actual picture and not the thumbnail you retard

Theres 3 colors on that map.

Mechatronic undergrad here, fuck you
Imperial unit adds unneccesary complexity to already complicated calculations
Also, remember when NASA blew their Martian probe because they were sticking with Imperial unit?

It blew up because engineering brainlets like you can't do a simple conversion.

No sweetie, engineers used metric, it was manufacturer who assumed specs were in Imperial and didnt bother to convert, not the other way around

Why should you stick to measurement tools require conversions when there is a system that almost all of the world uses that doesn't require any.

>not verifying yourself that your wingding fits inside your widget

Too busy sucking cock?

>we all do it this way therefore you have to too.

Thats tyranny. America stands for freedom