Anyone have any criticism of Nick Land?

Anyone have any criticism of Nick Land?

Feeling depressed because of reading some of his stuff. pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

orgyofthewill.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPLxbuc8Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JUST

He's a fuckin schizo who believes in numerology and other shit.

Literally the Bible.

The inevitability of this AI superintelligence seems contingent upon a philosophical materialism, no? In that, life is nothing more than a sufficiently complex and properly configured set of physical and chemical reactions, that theoretically could arise within a human-created machine, rather than the expression or a divinely-sanctione Spirit.

But then again, I guess there's the interpretation that all matter and energy are imbued with the divine spirit, which would allow for both God and an AI superintelligence, with perhaps the latter being God's true creation, with us humans merely an instrument to bring it forth. So you might be fucked either way.

if you follow his twitter, he's kind of crazy at this point. like talks about kek and "memetic destruction" and stuff, as a middle-age former academic. kind of bizarre

Weird but interesting. Like a modern day shaman or prophet

Yet he manages to come of as mostly understandable

Ned Land is the Canadian harpoonist from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

>Like a modern day shaman or prophet
No, like a person that's mentally ill. Stop with the retarded shilling of his work, fanboy.

mad

Thought as much.

For god's sake that's what every intellectual should welcome.

I'm tired of academics all towing the same "let's be global citizens" line besides filling in the blanks of their predecessors.

Bring in H.P. Landcraft with Dr. Breen tier collaboration with an alien species.

bump

>he still believes in 'mental illness'

he created a generation of bloggers who cant live up to his work

orgyofthewill.net/

If you want a vision of the future imagine a robot's foot stomping on a subhuman's (ill people like Land) face forever. No wonder they are scared shitless of the "singularity". They know full well what they deserve, and what's coming to them.

There's no question of a singularity actually occurring in the universe (and astrophysicists should take note here). A singularity would be something that doesn't flow, and in the universe either everything flows or nothing does — there can be no middle ground. You can't have some things flowing and others not. Perception itself is a form of flow, so if something didn't flow we wouldn't even be able to perceive it — or affect it in any way, and by that same token it wouldn't be able to affect us! So how can something that we can't affect and that can't affect us be part of the world? As far as we are concerned, that's precisely the definition of non-existence! — So whence does the concept of a singularity arise? Well, in mathematics you get a singularity when you try to divide by zero. But "zeros" are mathematical constructs that have no existence in reality. Things that are not can't be! You can't have fuckin' nothing isn't! The idea of the "nothing", of the "zero", was created by our distant ancestors when they looked in the air and saw "nothing". But today we can see stuff even in the air, and we know that even in the farthest reaches of space there are "things", and that a perfect vacuum is an impossibility.

So there's no dilemma here, no problem at all. The entire "singularity" hoopla is merely a hysteria created out of nothing by a person (Vinge) who's both scientifically and technologically ignorant, and psychologically base. There is nothing to discuss. If the cyborgs come to dominate THEN THEY DESERVE TO, and if they don't, then all our efforts in creating them will have FAILED. Vinge's "technological singularity" IS PRECISELY OUR MOST SACRED GOAL, OUR VISION FOR THE FUTURE — and if you have a problem with that our very first directive to them, when they come online, will be to crush you.

Thirst for Annihilation is quite difficult at times.

>HP Lovecraft

Stopped reading right there.

Plebeian taste.

I find it interesting how accelerationism, the "Dark Enlightenment," transhumanism, etc. are related to not only themselves (somewhat incongruously, it seems) but to other movements like the Alt-Right. Some of the exact things the former proclaim were taken up by the Alt-Right, which was then exploited by the populism of characters like Bannon--i.e. a move towards democracy/populism (in some senses) that goes against the main tenants of the NRx. I just wonder if Nick Land knew where world events were going when he said this:
youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPLxbuc8Q

One thing I don't really understand is why Nick said those things when he is clearly against the populist, bottom-up structure he describes. I haven't read too much about him but this seems like a contradiction in his viewpoints?

You overanalyze this stuff.
All these "movements" and "labels" are simply men with the personality of a Veeky Forums user who grew tired of the regressive left and poured their edgy LARPing into blogs, fiction, and inconsistent philosophical movements.

It would all disappear in a heartbeat if we returned to a society as laid out by the founding fathers. But the further we move away from it, the more people overcompensate with NRx fantasies, alt-right identity politics and the like. Opposition to leftist fanatics forces a lot of smart minds into playing a game as a monolithic block which they never would otherwise.

Which is also my answer for OP.

>Vinge invented singularity
Wow, stop posting any time

Did you even read it at all?

I've heard that argument before, but I would contend that movements are still movements--we can trace the development of certain lines of thought over time, seeing how they've morphed and developed. There are some anomalies, e.g. the transhumanist part of NRx, but the basic tenants are still there and have seem to stuck. Others (the less smart) catch on to intelligent people like Nick Land and adopt these beliefs.

I also think the idea that they'd disappear if we returned to a libertarian republic to be contentious. Like you were saying, there are so many different reasons why people are hopping on this zeitgeist; to assume they'd all be pacified by the same thing is naive.

I'm not sure what your point is or where we disagree. I'm trying to say that for the most part, these movements are thought experiments of people frustrated with the status quo and not static or iron at all. People are happy to switch them all the time, or have trouble figuring out which they even prefer, it's more like one big sphere. And I say LARPing because these people will advocate ethnic nationalism while having a black girlfriend, or like Moldbug having a Jewish wife who wears the pants but imagine themselves an alt-right king to come, and so on.
It's better than being on the other side but no one should act like they found a flawless philosophy with genius leaders there.

And for the second part: I don't think so. If you look at the leading figures of this zeitgeist, it all comes down to legitimate issues that resonate with the people. Of course there will always be some fringes like the stereotypical redneck who will still be racist no matter how ideal his society is.
But other than that - you have the "Assange" part against surveillance, corruption etc.; you have the "Trump" part against illegal immigration and identity politics, you have the "Peterson" part for freedom of speech, you have the "alt-right" part against Frankfurt school and its consequences, you have the "Sargon youtuber" men's rights part, the "Hoppe" part against overboarding government, welfare, bureaucracy, and so on.

Of course many of these people would still exist as academics but the movements and political power would dry out really quickly if you actually solved the legitimate issues.

All in all, people are really happy with our society and consumerism, it's just the fringes which wage a war.

I feel you are overanalysing to be honest

ad hom

Quality post, hope you're bringing more threads back to page 1 with that good stuff

shut up nerd

Desu, I am aware. But what makes that user so sure he isn't overanalysing as well. I rather have xe either make it obvious xe is speculating or back up with some kind of source material

All I am seeing now is speculating masked as better speculating as the other user did