Pynchon published V. when he was 26

>Pynchon published V. when he was 26

Orson Welles directed, wrote, and stared in Citizen Kane when he was 24

Reads like it.

>a meme author published a shitty pomo novel at 26
really made me think

pulling the toaster into the tub now

I don't think Pinecone gets enough credit for this; he was 26 years old when he wrote it, and it was published in 1963 ... 1963! Think about the cultural/social climate then, and the topics he broached with such whimsical alacrity: interracial relationships, abortion, casual sex, etc. Think about the breadth of (non-electronic) research that would have been required historically, medically, geographically, etc. to write it. There are historical trivia bits scattered through out 'V.' that return less than a page of results upon a cursory google search. 'V.' is such a venerable achievement, and it sucks when people like and don't seem to appreciate it, or dismiss it because of it's "meme authorship".

I can understand why people don't like 'V.', or didn't find it entertaining per se, but the ambition, the audacity, and the ability to write it at 26, when it was written, is incredible.

R9k taking over

This af. Pinecone is a damn legend. He's not a full blown meme-man like DFW is.

You're complimenting all the wrong things.

age is a meme

Michel Tournier published his first novel at 45. And he is a better writer

>Dostoevsky published Anna Karenina when he was 11

I seriously you guys aren't over 26 and still here lmao

Stephen king wrote some pulp bullshit as a teenager and was published.

He also didn't make any serious money as a writer until his late 30s.

>Kafka published The Trial when he was dead

It doesn't mean anything, you fucking autist

Oh, yeah, how stupid I am... of course it means a lot to you because you just want to be a published faggot looking for vain glory instead of writing something really true and you're so jelous and butthurt! Of course

Well I had my first psychotic breakdown before I was 21. Heh.

Ya lol only people under 26 use the Internet:)

To be fair there are some history facts that I learned in high school that yield very few results when I look it up. Teachers back in the day did a pretty good job relaying information to students since they had read so many different books on the subject and knew which parts were important, some of which maybe only appeared once in an obscure book.

I'm talking about events whose only documentation was a single, or few, very esoteric sources, i.e. for specific details about the Herero and Namaqua people genocide in Namibia, Pynchon had clearly managed to get a hold of and read a copy of the 1918 'Blue Book,' which detailed the treatment of these peoples by the German and British government.

He clearly was not just regurgitating bits of academic trivia. For context this blue book was ordered to be destroyed by the German and British governments and at the time of V.'s writing only a handful of copies still existed.

>Veeky Forums fellatiates Pinecone for years
>Suddenly a change of heart in late 2016

l wonder what this could be. Surely it has nothing to do with the influx of people from a certain other site.

neat, i think I had mine maybe a few months before 21. and another a few months before 25 because I didn't put down the ganja.

put down the ganja brah

I love Pynch. I just think V. is horrible. Consistently rate it bottom 3 in the Pynch oeuvre

What's the best Pynch then?
inb4 GR
What are the top 3 Pynch?

It's very popular here to say Mason and Dixon. I'm not sure why you have a problem with someone saying GR is his best work.
Consensus here:
1. Mason and Dixon
2. Gravity's Rainbow
3. V.
My third is Vineland. I know, I know.

never.

>Wallace Stevens didn't hit his stride until he was in his late 50s.

Do not despair, one of the thieves was saved. Do not presume, one of the thieves was damned.

I don't have a problem with GR (or any other Pinecon), it just seems to me that it's the most popular work of his here on Veeky Forums.

It's really not even my point that he published it. It's that he wrote such a staggering work in the first half of his 20s. Think of all the shit he talks about V. They didn't even have the internet back then.

This always happens m8. It happens at some point. Believe it or not, Veeky Forums used to love DFW circa 2011.