Curry thread? Yes please

Share your best and, preferably, easiest curry recipes that even a dumbass like me can make in less than 30 minutes. Rice not included.

Other urls found in this thread:

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/.
youtube.com/watch?v=WWoxlXWGYTA
allrecipes.com/recipe/212721/indian-chicken-curry-murgh-kari/?src=VD_Summary
sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Kadai-Chicken-Sanjeev-Kapoor-Kitchen-FoodFood.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sorry, poo in the loo has ruined any chances of me eating curry again.

1. This is a request thread sadly
2. Britain invented curry
3. palak paneer

Eating stuff that tastes like a burning tire fire nope

Cook onions, garlic, and ginger in butter or ghee until soft. Add cumin, coriander, and black pepper to pan, along with sweet spices if you like them (cinnamon/nutmeg/cardamom/clove) fry it for a bit until it smells like spices have been toasted. Add beans (have to use canned for a quick meal, but if you have the time to cook dry beans it'll taste better) or meat. Add tomato/cream/more butter (use whatever you like/have to make a sauce) and simmer until thickened and/or meat is cooked and tender. Add salt and lemon, yogurt, or something else acidic to taste.

No amounts to use because it's all preference. I like less cumin and more coriander, and more onion, than most recipes call for. Just try to go easy on the spices, especially the cumin and sweet spices. You can always add more but if you add too much it quickly becomes overwhelming.

I love curries but they are such a pain to cook. You need so many different ingredients, all the spices only require 1/2 a teaspoon and the rest of the jar just sits in the pantry for years and don't get me started on ghee. No wonder those people can never make it to the toilet in time.

Also I guess you should add some salt earlier in the cooking process before adding beans/meat, but try to go easy on that too because you'll usually want to reduce the sauce to thicken it which will increase the saltiness.

>palak paneer

>yemeni roommate
>adds heaps of cumin to everything he cooks
>constantly reeks of cumin and cigarettes
don't live with him anymore but the smell will stay with me forever

use the spices in other things. We didnt invent the new world for nothing you know.

Cumin seeds fried before adding pretty much anything elevates a dish. tumeric and mustard seed potatoes are next level (i prefer simply thyme though). The only useless thing i can really think of is garam masala, and if its that much of an issue to have a pack in the cupboard you could just make your own

I've been really getting into fresh tumeric recently because my gp and others memed me into its a good anti inflamatory and it makes you feel good mane but fuck it is a cunt to deal with, stains anything yellow but it tastes really good too, actual flavor as opposed to powder which does not a lot for me except color.

I can only buy it with around 10+ bits, never loose, it's like ginger root but a bit smaller. So almost any curry i make is yellow with green thai curry, my brain does not like being rused like that but how do i make it green. i've read blended chilli leaves but i aint got no time fo dat.

go to an indian wholesaler and take some small tinny sized ziplock bags to get minimal fresh portions of spices and some samosas

of course, but powder still has its uses. powders in general take longer to diffuse and certain flavours may be gone completely. great for rubs (this is where garlic powder > garlic)

I stopped using turmeric powder because it seems like it never added any flavor but if I used too much it tasted bitter. If I can't get fresh turmeric I just use ginger instead.

Please don't laugh but is it possible to do a decent curry in a crock pot?

JUST A QUESTION.

Pretty much any decent curry starts with frying mashed/pounded/ground aromatics, it could be a wet paste (fresh tumeric, shallot, chili, etc) or dry spices, but either way, that's not happening with a crock pot, so, no. Not possible.

Possibly Japanese style curry, I've never tried that but I wouldn't put it past them to just dump a bunch of powder into water and simmer it.

You won't get the flavor from cooking the spices in hot ghee/oil, it adds a toasty deeper flavor sometimes. You could do that in a separate pan and add it at the end though, but even if you don't it'll still taste okay.

Curry in a crock pot is the optimal way to cook it other than using a dutch oven.

My local farmer's market spice lady makes a spicy for goan-style vindaloo curry that's got an 850k scoville rating.

Does anyone have the knowledge to tell me if that's going to get diluted enough to be edible or if my face is going to melt off? The lady says she has to make that one with gloves and chemistry goggles on.

Sounds like some made for white people tough guy shit

Now cue the tough guys claiming they can taste anything but fire at 800k

>Does anyone have the knowledge to tell me if that's going to get diluted enough to be edible or if my face is going to melt off?

Unless you're some kind of experienced competitive chili-eater that stuff is going to make your face melt.

How do I make restaurant tier butter chicken and chicken tikka masala? Do I really need a tandoor oven to recreate the flavours?

>Do I really need a tandoor oven to recreate the flavours?

Nope. You just need to be using the correct recipe and technique. A few things:

1) Many curries are cooked on a base of onions. Treat this just like carmelizing onions for making French onion soup. It can take 45 minutes just to cook the onions. Low and slow.

2) Make sure you toast your spices whole, then grind them for each dish you make. Make sure you have good flavorful spices, not old dried-up-and flavorless crap.

I caramelize onions in 5 minutes in my cast iron pan

stop using nonstick and learn to cook

>make in less than 30 minutes.
This is the issue. Most good curries are long simmering dishes with long ingredients lists and many steps to their preparation. They're not at all difficult to make, but they are labor and time intensive. For a starting point get one of Jaffrey's books.

Sounds like you need to learn the difference between sauteeing and carmelizing.

They are two totally different processes that produce two totally different results.

When you cook onions quickly, like your example, you get a mostly transparent onion with the edges being browned. The onions still contain most of their moisture.

When you carmelize onions you drive off all their moisture. The onions reduce in volume tremendously. You end up with onions that are a pale brown color all the way through. The color is uniform, not clear in the center and browned on the edges. This takes a long time because you have to cook off all the water in the onions before they will properly caramelize

This might help you:
simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/.

Here's an easy one.

youtube.com/watch?v=WWoxlXWGYTA

Best thing is to just browse youtube and pick one you like.

This is true. Caramelized onions are crucial to many Indian dishes. They provide both body and sweetness to the sauces that offsets the spice. One of many time consuming steps involved in this kind of cooking.

Is there an authentic recipe for chicken tikka masala? it feels like most recipes online are made for white people.

>white people.
South Asians are white.

Chicken tikka masala is by definition a white-person recipe. It was invented in England.

If you want to make it as traditional as possible then just research traditional recipes for its two components: Chicken Tikka, and a Masala. Masalas are a large category of Indian cooking; there are many versions.

Im a flyover white dude, but I get very fresh stuff. Follow this video, but add in jalapenos and serrano peppers, and more cayenne. Tastes so good over jasmine rice and a ton of cilantro.

cilantro is love, cilantro is life.

woops, better lay off the drinks
allrecipes.com/recipe/212721/indian-chicken-curry-murgh-kari/?src=VD_Summary

Yes search for Murgh makhani or butter chicken. And remember coconut doesn't go in ctm in any form

C'mon man you can do better than that recipe. Try this.
sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Kadai-Chicken-Sanjeev-Kapoor-Kitchen-FoodFood.html
You can sub out the cashew paste for cream. Aslo, if you have fenugreek leaves, toast them and powder them over the curry to finish.

Even if you go by the oft repeated and totally fake origin story it was invented in Scotland not England. And in reality it was basically a milder for of the already mild butter chicken from Moti Mahal in Delhi.

delete this

Curry paste
Boiling water
Salt & pepper to taste

Throw some small chunks of meat in to a pan.
Add some grated or chopped garlic
Add a couple of chopped chilies
Add a chopped onion

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer
Cook for like 30 minutes until the meat is cooked

Experiment with the ingredients, maybe mirepoix and consider sweetcorn, replace the onion with spring onions

This makes Chinese style, I don't cook the indian vindapoo stuff.

If you want to use a tandoor though they're easy as shit to make out of plant pots.

Imo the key is to marinate the meat with yogurt and spices it adds a lot

Cheap Japanese curry like the kawaii girls in the anime eat:
Fry meats until browned
Add Dashi or bullion stock and curry
Add grated apples and sugar
Add carrots and peas, simmer
Once the fluid is reduced, add cornstarch solution

>japanese extra hot
so mild then?

>drowning all foods with spice and onions
>ruining the subtle flavors of meat and other vegetables

This is not Veeky Forums