Making a simple pan sauce

So I tried making a simple sauce.

After searing a pork tenderloin and getting it in the oven, I threw some garlic in the pan for a few seconds then deglazed with some red wine, then put a little worcestershire sauce, deli mustard, and cumin in there and reduced.

It wasn't TERRIBLE on it's own but it definately clashed with my pork, was definately too sweet and a bit sour.

Next time I might just make a simple roux in the drippings and add some vegetable or chicken stock.

What techniques do you guys have for making simple pan sauces?

Why add garlic before deglazing?

BTW its own, not it's own

Cook stuff, create fond, deglaze, reduce... pan sauce. Maybe add some lemon juice and a few capers.

Wanted to get the garlic a bit more fragrant, I only threw it in for like 15 seconds before pouring the wine, then crushed it into the sauce.

What liquids do you recommend? Red wine was just too sweet

what kind of wine did you use?

if it was too sweet you probably had a pinot or something, a cab would likely be more to your tastes

that aside, my fav pan sauce
>1tbs bacon grease
>shallot
>red wine
>butter
any oil/grease will do but I prefer bacon, make sure there's only 1 tablespoon worth in the pan
add chopped shallot
sautee
reduce heat
deglaze w/ red wine
reduce red wine until sauce is no longer watery
reduce heat again
add a big fucking knob of butter
work it until you have nice texture smooth texture with the proper amount of body
>WA LA

anyone have experience using hard liquor to deglaze in a pan sauce? was thinking of using tequila but i chickened out at the last minute

It was a cabernet sauvignon from the liquor store bargain bin(probably why I didn't like it desu).

Just new flavors I'm not used to I guess, the mustard and worcestershire was probably the biggest issue, shoulda stuck with savory instead of sour.

That sounds heavenly though, I love shallots.

If you start on low heat and have a high rimmed sautee pan you can minimize risks, just hold it with a pot holder and if it flares up just let the alcohol burn off, don't panic and dump water on it

Just add some water to the pan to degleaze, reduce by half, then monte in some cold butter to thicken, simple as

I like to use stock to deglaze the pan, and then I'll either season it, slap some butter in it, or make a roux with it. Vino is also good.

>pork
>red wine

Shouldn't you use white with pork? Additionally, if you're just doing a pan sauce you want to go as simple as possible, especially with something like a pork tenderloin. The worcestershire sauce itself was probably overdoing it.

White wine (or even just water like the previous user said), to deglaze, maybe a bit of the mustard, off the heat, melt a knob of butter in, maybe a bit of fresh herb like tarragon, done.

Best part is niggers dont know how

You cooked with bargain-bin wine? You do know the "never cook with wine you wouldn't drink" rule isn't a meme right?

How the hell much is a knob of butter???

approx. two knots, or half a lump

bout a chunk I would say

Great. That really cleared it up.

Just about one and a half clods, I'd say.

I'm not a fan of red wine for cooking. Chicken broth when in doubt.

Do those cartons of chicken and/or vegetable broth last a good while? It would be sick if I could just keep a small container of broth in my fridge for a month cuz I don't want to go the bullion route

If you have a spare afternoon once a month you can make your own and freeze them in ice cube trays.
>WA LA
Instant broth. Perfectly portioned.

I've made my own broth before, so ya.

That doesn't really answer my question though

1 tbs.

They'll keep for a week or more, just let your nose be your guide.

If you just need a little bit, buy that shit and freeze it in ice trays and use as needed.

Chicken stock is the king.

deglaze, add butter*, reduce.

35.05595 grams. It's critical that you use a lab scale when making pan sauce.

I would eat a knob at night

The easiest and most delicious pan sauce is made as follows:

1. Deglaze with the appropriate stock. Chicken for chicken, beef for beef, fish for fish, and reduce.
2. Add cream and stir.
3. Add a tbs or two of butter and stir.
4. Reduce to desired consistancy.
5. Season as needed with salt.
6. Run through a strainer and serve.

Fattening as fuck, but if you put enough cream, butter and salt in anything, it'll be criminally delicious.

I definitely saute my garlic first cuz it's better caramelized but everything else was spot on. Op needs frond and reduction. Probably could've added a dash of salt to mellow and meld his flavors and it would've gone a long way to helping. Something I learned with pan sauces is less is more usually and an extra dash of salt is a good friend. One of my new favorite toppings is just thinly sliced garlic fried golden in great high quality olive oil and poured over pork chops. God bless the Basque.

Damn that sounds good af, simple too. Thanks!

Just remember that it's fattening as fuck and should be reserved for special occasions if you're not into exercise and shit.

I'm already skinny AF so I'm not worried, I don't pan sear meats erry day either so my cholesterol or whatever should be fine too

I'm not a fan of cooking with wine. A simple pan gravy best.