Why was the world obsessed with jello and weird foods in the 50s?

Why was the world obsessed with jello and weird foods in the 50s?

Advertising became a big thing, and it could be used to sell all kinds of garbage the newly industrialized food production system was spitting out. Newly minted members of the middle class were pretty guileless. You could sell them rebranded military rations as the new, modern, economical way to eat and they'd buy it. Especially when you give them recipes for these horrors, like pic related.

They were still recovering from the Depression. Any food they bought was gourmet.

Don't compare my children's cartoon to the president.

Freedom of speech bro.

1) they'd just been through The Depression and The War, standards weren't exactly high after decades of poverty and rationing
2) jello was an instant version of aspic, a dish that's been associated with fancy parties since medieval times and took so long to make that merely having it on the table was a novelty

Beat me to it. Refrigeration, powdered gelatin and canned fruit turned a luxury dish into an everyday treat. We're too far removed from the time when you never saw gelatin unless you had servants prepare it. We don't appreciate it.

Absolutely. When people were starving to death 20 years ago cheap, plentiful food seemed amazing. And having just gone through a war being too fussy about the quality of it seemed like being ungrateful. This was easily exploited by advertisers and an industry that was working hard to sell the cheapest food possible in the newly popular supermarkets.

Have a free recipe for casserole using cream of mushroom soup, frozen green beans and fried onions from a can. This bullshit will be your new family holiday tradition because you're that gullible.

Sorry Bill, won't happen again

>reddit filename

I got these from Imgur.

Which is the image host for reddit. There's also a hilarious mole-people subset who use imgur as their main platform and are unaware of its supporting status.

Veeky Forums confession, green bean casserole is pretty good if you use fresh green beans and not the salty mush from a can.

You seem to know a lot about reddit.

I've heard people say this, but I don't get why you'd want green beans in a cream sauce in the first place. I've never eaten green beans and thought, "You know what would make these better? A creamy sauce!" A aot of 20th Century American dishes in cream sauces were relics of the Depression when they encouraged people who couldn't afford much in the way of meat to consume a quart a day of milk per person. That's when making creamed vegetable dishes with unlikely candidates like lima beans, carrots, cabbage or parsnips became a big thing. Creamed spinach and green beans seem to be the two that held on in popular culture.

Please stop bringing politics into everything.

>reddit cryptocurrency

It's called counter espionage.

Green bean casserole was invented in 1955; from the outset it was designed to be a dish with minimal ingredients and cook time. Creamed vegetables long pre-date the 20th century.

My family started making it with fresh green beans, homemade mushroom cream soup, and crispy sautéed onions. It's pretty fucking good. The canned crap with condensed soup is dogshit.

Which just goes to show that a lot of exalted haute cuisine of any time has little to do with its inherent quality and more about it's accessibility for the upper middle class. I imagine in a few years we'll be looking and foams like we look at aspic.