Hey Veeky Forums, I'm doing an experiment for a paper I have to write tomorrow or tonight, depending on when I wake up...

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm doing an experiment for a paper I have to write tomorrow or tonight, depending on when I wake up, on how some of these steaks I cook turn out.

I'm going to be cooking each steak the same: in a skillet, at the same level of heat, and with the same amount of time spent on each side. The only difference is that I'm using different marinade to record how each spreads the heat, and effects the flavoring.

So far all I have are : fat, olive oil, and butter. What other liquid marinades can I use to skillet cook these steaks?

Also any recommendations on how I should cook these steaks in a pan would be appreciated. This is the kind of steak cut I have btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You fucked up from the beginning. You only marinate flank and shit cuts of steak. You salt and pepper proper steaks. Let me show you how to cook a good steak that wasn't cut to a 1/2 inch.

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

Try yoghurt. It supposedly gets the flavour deep in to the meat you're marinating and makes it more tender by breaking down the connective tissues.

I appreciate you going out of your way to give patrician advice, but this is more about "see what happens" than "I'm doing it to be good"

I may actually give it a go, but I don't know if it'll spread the heat too well.

>fat, olive oil, and butter
so, fat, fat and fat. They're all oils and they shouldn't affect heat penetration at all.

You definitely get different results from using oil vs butter.

Exactly how does one marinade using fat? Are you talk8ng about leaving a steak in lard?

I was just going to hold the thickest strip of fat towards the heat of the pan until it drips in and then cook it in that. Call it the 'control' of the project I guess.

That's fair, but the truth is that marinates don't penetrate without acid bases. And any spices left on the meat end up getting seared and tasting like burnt shit. So. Choose your techniques carefully. Steak is cooked at 600f in most cases and anything on the surface of that steak turns into char.

Try salt and pepper and letting it rest for 24 hours

Do you people use thermometers?

What *kind* of results?
Flavour? Yes, of course.

Try a brine using citric acid then pat dry and season steak

You don't cook a steak with butter, who told you that? You cook a steak with anything else.

have any of you every cooked a piece of flesh in your lives?

This is the ugliest, worst steak I've ever cooked on a grill and you people are fucking even this up.

That was a rib steak that was a little overcooked because my temperatures were too low. Not marinaded, not spiced. Salt and fucking pepper.

I boil mine in water.

When you place a piece of food at 600 to 800 degrees on a grill, you don't let spices be exposed to that temperature. It's just science.

Who told you that you can't use butter? Butter leaves the outside of the steak a lot crispier/browner than oil or nothing.

So you're cooking on a hotplate?

The object is to see how the marinade manages heat spread. Not the heating element or what substance it's being cooked in. Citric acid would penetrate the meat and tenderise it. Doing thus while bringing the meat to room temp before cooking would be interesting to see how it affects the doneness of the meat at the same cooking time as the others.

Op is fucking dumb at scientific method and you are dumb at reading comprehension.

Hey man I don't gotta be good at science, I just gotta write about it.

What the fuck are you talking about? You don't seem to understand the basics.

Chimichurri is heavenly

Literally retarded.

>I'm going to be cooking each steak the same: in a skillet, at the same level of heat, and with the same amount of time spent on each side. The only difference is that I'm using different marinade to record how each spreads the heat, and effects the flavoring.

What you need to do is take one steak and simply season with salt and pepper, let it reach room temp and cook. This will be your control. There is no marinade, simply salt and pepper for taste. Then take your other steaks and marinade them differently. I'd say it's crucial that you make these yourself to avoid any adultrants or substitutes added during manufacturing. Do one teriyaki one butter and herb and one other that you pull out of your ass. Let these marinade for a couple hours at least. The same time for all, except the salt and pepper.

>So far all I have are : fat, olive oil, and butter. What other liquid marinades can I use to skillet cook these steaks?

Pay no mind to this. Fat, olive oil and butter are what you use to transmit heat and create a seer. You aren't testing the seer. You're testing the marinade and it's affect on the spread of heat (cooking) and taste. Taste is subjective so it doesn't count for much.

>Also any recommendations on how I should cook these steaks in a pan would be appreciated.

Let steak reach room temp. Pan, nice and hot. Use a high temp oil like sunflower seed. Steaks don't look too thick so do 2 1/2 - 3 min per side.

>fat, olive oil, and butter
>liquid marinades

Those are not marinades, they are fats. A marinade would be something like soy sauce, garlic, lime juice. You are trying to test heat distribution and penetrations of fats. If I were your instructor and the word marinade appeared anywhere in your paper I would fail you.

ITT: OP thinks that cooking oil is a marinade

You're addressing an idiot. Don't bother.

Soy sauce, brown sugar, worcherstershireshopship sauce, bourbon, lemon, garlic, onions. Thyme Rosemary.

Thanks, user. I'll go for this instead.

. The oil carries the flavors of things like garlic and it also allows the marinade to adhere to the meat better than a liquid.

Don't forget to measure internal temps before and after cooking

Wdym acid bases. What do i put to have the marinade penetrate?