Let's talk about art and art related literature

Post your favourite works of art, good books that deal with art history, theory, philosophy or biographies and essays by important artists.

I'd also like to hear if this kind of thread is compatible with this board (since it's not entirely about literature but /li/ is practically the only board where you can talk about art).

Has anyone read On the spiritual in art by Kandinsky?

>pic related is Odd Nerdrum

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2014/06/why-new-abstract-paintings-look-the-same.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>odd nerdrum
That just so happens to be the name of my character on old-school runescape :)

If it's a joke, it's a really good one. If it's real ... just wow.

Wassily Kandinsky - Inner Alliance

rare serb cutter

This is my favorite. It is not the best peace of art, there are better kompositions and better abstractions, but it just hit me. It perfectly fits when i look at it and i can look at it for hours.
Evidently the best Veeky Forums to art is by the artist themselfes. You could read van goghs letters (they are a bit dull but when you share van goghs love to nature and art there will be no problem) or a collection of goethe about his aesthetical perceptions. Andre breton (i just can speak about Nadja) is a bit difficult and messy, dont read him when you are not into surrealism. In my opinion the best literature to art is picassos word and confession (in german its by schifferly). He is just the inkarnation of art and you should read him.

This looks exactly like Picasso's three musicians. #woah

What is that? Is it a collage? A fresco? It looks a bit like Dali, a bit like Tanguy, a bit like Man Ray if it's a photo montage, a bit like an old fresco painted over. My phone screen is so small I can't make out much, which adds to the oddness of it.

It is the collage 'the near puberty' with gouache and oil on paper by the surrealist Max Ernst.

Pic related is a great example of contemporary art, not my favorite, but the presentation and context behind it is great.

Some cool books I have on my shelf:
>modern art by meyer schapiro
>art since 1900 by hal foster et al (the staple for modern and cont art)
>the lives of artists by giorgio vasari
>man without content by giorgio agamben
>the meaning in visual arts by erwin panofsky
>the return of the real by hal foster
>l’image: deleuze, foucault et lyotard by thierry lenain
>penser l'image by emmanuelle alloa
>the end of art history by hans belting

I still think that something like 70% of the contemporary art produced in this century is tasteless shit appealing to the market or some common sense political agenda. An interesting read: vulture.com/2014/06/why-new-abstract-paintings-look-the-same.html

/ic/ should be that board but apperently it is Dantes lowest ring full of plebian technique fascists, illustrators and odd Digital 'artists' doing digital 'art' talking about other 'known' digital 'artworks'.
It is literary post modern hell.

y'all know /gd/ is a thing right?

Anybody have any books on how to begin getting into and studying art?

It's frankly an area I know nothing about outside of enjoying a paintings, but I feel you're missing a lot unless you know the history and so forth, maybe some critical theory

theres good videos on art history. look up how to read a painting

>/gd/
>graphic design
>art

Read Gardner's Art Through the Ages for a general survey, then delve into Art Since 1900 by Hal Foster et al. for 20th century developments. The latter is a mix of history and theory and uses a lot of approaches like psychoanalysis, formalism (structuralism), ethnography, feminist and queer theory, post-structuralism and social history.

Start with the monks.

>doesnt consider graphic design art
>considers writing an art form

oh you

I feel like art history is like is kind of like religious history: first there are some small dim tribes, some of them rise to high civilisations. Then the most wanted takes over and it is totalitarianism for centurys untill it breaks apart because of unconventional thinkers. The time we live in is Totalitarianism of opaque abstraktion, that loomed since the end of Original surrealism. And i fear it will be a long rule

Graphic design is Dekoration. If you disagree we are too different to communicate

James McNeill Whistler - Nocturne in Black and Gold

John Singer Sargent - Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose

Ivan Aivanovsky - Ship on Stormy Seas

Pieter Bruegel the Elder - Hunters in the Snow

I like his paintings too, my favorite is the ninth wave.

I also like reading Browning's dramatic monologues about renaissance Italian painters.

Ah yes, the move towards abstract!

Decoration is an art. You should visit a grand palace, cathedral or hermitage sometimes.

not sure how lit it is, but always liked turner.

I have a copy of the surrealist novel Hebdomeros by De Chirico. Read a few pages and it seemed interesting but haven't carved out enough time to sit down and read it in full. Anyone here read it? Didn't Max Ernst also do some novel like things? collage novels?

I think the interview or parts of it are on youtube as well. highly recommended.

He's pretty great

>self-evident