Is it possible for an adult to learn from elementary school basic arithmetics up to last year of high school math in...

Is it possible for an adult to learn from elementary school basic arithmetics up to last year of high school math in the span of a year? How would you go around this? 2 hours a day? 3 hours a day? More? Or is it not feasible in this time span?

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whatr we talking here? Did you miss out on highschool?

I learned an entire year's worth of high school math in three months years ago, when I attended summer school (I did it to skip myself ahead). So yeah you'd be cutting it close, but it should theoretically be possible. Be warned though, your retention might not be as good later on, because you've spent less time with the material.

I was never good at math so instead of working harder I always avoided it and half assed it through tests.
Now I want to binge it all to maybe pick a STEM career since I am not sociable enough to make it as lawyer or teacher or go through the liberal arts.
In my third world country if you don't have a degree you can't expect more than the minimun wage which only is 375 american dollars a month.
I know it's fucking stupid but this is the only solution I could find.

Would taking a part of my studying hours on rehearsing previous material a way to make up for the fewer amount of time?
What is the last material in your country's school system before being ready for uni?

What country? Liberia or something?
In USA, most highschool students are required to finish atleast:
>algebra 1
>geometry
>algebra 2
>precalculus/trigonometry

Maybe friendly cognitive scientist can weigh in on this, but I think the brain learns by making neural connections. And the longer a connection is used and the more it's refreshed, the better the knowledge is retained in long-term memory. So I don't know if there's any good substitute for familiarity with the material. But as long as you keep on using it, and study courses that use it, you should retain what you absolutely need to know.

As for my education before hitting college, I studied in the U.S. for my undergraduate degree so my high school math education consisted of of what the NY State Board of Regents called Courses I, II, III, and Pre-Calculus. I also took Physics and Advanced Placement (AP) Computer Science.

I'm not going to lie though, there is a huge jump from that to the first year of College Math (Calc I and II). It's more that your brain needs to get used to looking at a different class of problems.

Maybe Britain has a better preparatory standard with their GCSE and A-level courses, but you'd need to ask someone that studied in the U.K.

I hope that helps.

Reviewing?
Then Yes. Surely you can. You can even learn/review College Math before December of current year.
Learning from fist time?
Then Hell no. Back to the work Janitor.

Ecuador in South America.
So up to Trigonometry and pre-calculus before uni is it? I just want to get the necessaries for getting into college, I wish I could use more time but at 24 having wasted 6 years since my high school graduation,considering a univeristy career is around 4 or 5 years I have to act fast and without half assing it if I want to turn my life around while I still can.

But maybe some of it can be considered remembering if I went through school and high school? Even at a subconcious level?
Oh fuck it I'm doomed, gotta get the rope.

There still a hope. Go to
khanacademy.org

Just fucking study you brainlet
There is a lot of shit available for brainless fools like you: openstax, khan, YouTube

Just fucking study for fucks sake

>Is it possible for an adult to learn from elementary school basic arithmetics up to last year of high school math in the span of a year?
Yes.

>How would you go around this?
Skip all the elementary bullshit, and fiddle with literal algebra from day one. Not being intimidated with abstraction is literally the only obstacle until 12th grade. 1 or 2 hours a day should do.

a lot of the time college will start students out in precalc, unless you do well on the math placements

This but I would add that OP should start with fractions. I'm assuming he can at least do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Fractions are the first area where I have met adults in real life that don't understand them.

After fractions, definitely algebra. It's going to be the most important. You're useless in STEM generally if you suck at algebra. And then definitely some geometry because that shit comes up everywhere in STEM. Then throw in some precalc/trig if there's time, it's a good way to review algebra and geometry stuff.

I think the geometry is important for college level math since being able to visualize things and understanding a physical representation of math really helps with intuition as well as offering an alternative way to view problems.

I don't know if OP will have the math skills and intuition necessary for STEM if he powers through everything in a year. He'll probably have to work quite hard in college to compensate.

If you're an adult and not in an assisted living institution you already know high school math.

I learned everything from first grade up to the end of high school in two months going at it approx 6-8 hours daily. Now I'm using QM ab initio methods to model positron annihilation in solid state matter.

I should probably send a chocolate box to Sal or something for making me an actual physicist lmao.

tl;dr: If a lazy fuck like me can make it so can you, brah. We're all gonna make it.

Bruh, just study the admission course shit if you're in Ecuador.

I will work as hard as necessary, I have a lot in game here if I go through this, if necessary I might extend it to a year and a half but not more than two since the next step is uni. Given the alternative is suicide I'm willing to work as hard as I need.

>Given the alternative is suicide I'm willing to work as hard as I need.
Best motivation. I learned basic emergency medicine in a month b/c of a similar feeling.

Also thank yoy for pointing out the importance of geometry.

I don't want to enter just to fail my classes because I wasn't prepared enough. I enter the public uni in 2012 to business engineering and couldn't pass the pre courses.

NEETdom us practically a form of
assisted housing for the retards or chronically lazy. Although not a NEET anymore I still just earn the minimun wage and won't make it beyond that unless I do something about it.

Thanks for the anecdote. I need that type of encouragement, although I'm sure our circunstances are different but the pressure is forcing me to put my all in one last chance.

I did it, effectively. Pre-algebra to Calculus.

I didn't have a time limit, though, I just did it whenever I felt like it. It's all pretty simple, didn't really need to write notes down or anything. I maybe worked an average of three or four hours a week. I was able to get through most subjects in a month or two, this way.

Oh, also OP, consider using spaced repetition for important things. It uses algorithms with flashcards to maximize your memory retention when studying.

How much math are you actually familiar with currently? Basic arithmetic? Fractions? Any algebra?

I think it's doable unless you have literally no experience with math and basic arithmetic is completely unheard of to you.

Suicide is a fine option too though. Not sure how you can convince yourself that it's the only other option though. The logic does not check out. But you should definitely learn math because this shit is awesome--in the literal sense of the word, not the colloquial usage.

t. Math major

Sidenote: I had a couple shots of vodka as I started writing this and you can see it kicking in in the second section. I apologize for the rambling.

"learn" yes
proficient at?
depends on your level of motivation

Did it in 6 months, doing about 20hours a week.

First 2 months I did khan, but for precalculus & trigonometry I switched to a textbook

woweeee boys, he's had a couple of shots of voddy
what s fun guy, bet he's mental at parties

Yes, it's possible. I did it, but it took me 2 years. I studied pretty much obsessively. I did it for pretty much the same reason and had roughly the same background as you, maybe even worse. You just have to commit your life to it.

really simple. Go to exam solutions. com

Holy shit boys we gotta fookin mad lad over here. Watch out!

Why don't you shut the fuck up about feasibility and just do it and find out yourself?