What does Veeky Forums think of H.P Lovecraft?

What does Veeky Forums think of H.P Lovecraft?

Dude he's a FUCKING RACIST

I'd say that he's probably one of the very few horror authors to understand mankind's relationship with the Unknown, how fundamental it is and how incredibly hard (and madness inducing) being a true "rational, logical thinker" is. Also, I don't mind his writing style too much even though people on here like to shit on it.

Yes, he is a great writer.

DUDE...

the only times I've been put off by his prose is when he goes full autism with his detailed descriptions, like in At the Mountains of Madness.

on the other hand, he could write very intriguing investigative stories. The Shunned House is a personal favorite.

Not OP, but I'm trying to pin down what philosophy his writing followed. I hear materialist and naturalist thrown around a few times, but I personally think he was a determinist. Thoughts?

Mildly mentally ill autist who was a product of his environment. To overthink his works as "literary", i.e. striving to understand greater ideas through his craft, is laughable.

That said, he should be lauded for two things. One, his prose. It is like the bizarre endpoint of victorian elegance bastardized years after the death of the queen, antiquated in his own time. It is so bizarre when compared to his contemporaries (Cather, Faulkner, F Scott Fitzgerald) and even his peers like Howard, that it deserves to be looked at as something almost artistic, and certainly unique.

Two, his creativity, born I suspect of mental illness. Only Tolkien rivals his in "world building", which, while derided today as in the realm of garbage fantasy and rightly so is infinitely interesting from Lovecraft in that he was the progenitor of the craft.

woah, that's great. Now here's a comprehensive list of everyone that care that a writer from 100 years ago didn't like black people
Sorry if it's a bit overwhelming to read

Cosmic horror dude, he invented his own writing philosophy.

How many times does he say, grotto , eldritch, and clyclopean geometry?

Also:

Innumerable, sunken, writhe, indescribable

I love him. I read him at least once a week. He expressed existentialist horror very well but he did it always on his terms and in his style, explaining this and this

>you must be mentally ill to have imagination

I recently read a collection of his stories and I enjoyed them. Whilst they're not particularly scary, they are entertaining. As others have said, he does use antiquated English sometimes and it can bog down the story, but more often than not I think it creates a good atmosphere.

No discernible talent.

Weird human, fairly decent writer, lovely imagination (unfortunately derived from his intense bigotry).

dude dogs are for fucking troglodytes lmao

he's right btw

Love him. But I like Arthur Machen even more.

lovecraft is a RACIST SEXIST BIGOT and he should be banned

I agree, he's a great author.

Racism was one of the engines of his distinct brilliance.

It shows that aesthetics comes first, that any actor in the mix can bring about great things, and political concerns - to the extent that they inhibit aesthetic development - are for cunts.

How did he discover the truth of the Cthulhu mythos?