My mom just gave me a huge ass jar of this carrot-sauerkraut shit she bought at a slavic grocer's...

My mom just gave me a huge ass jar of this carrot-sauerkraut shit she bought at a slavic grocer's. What the fuck do people even do with this?

Eat it, probably.

eat with sausage

Add it to your bowls and salads and such.

Please sharpen your mom's knives so she can make better salads.

Side dish or relish for almost any style of roasted pork.

Is it pretty much just this and pastarami?
Anybody use it outside of that context like this guy ?
Also will try for the salads.

Eat it as a side-dish
Put it in sandwiches
Put it on warm doggos
Slavs in particular like to eat in on thin, hard bread with an assortment of other pickles while drinking vodka

>pastarami
well fuck

>not having a babushka make u kapusta, and eating store bought garbage
truely plebian tier living

but forreal i like to top it with some sunflower oil or EVOO and eating it with some black bread

Anyone else here tried the carrot/sauerkraut stuff in the European aisle at Big Lots? It's pretty good.

We only get Omas making cheese and pie up this way senpai

Mix it with tunafish and Dijon mustard, put it on some rye bread with sliced tomato and cucumber. Or mix it with rice and beans. Or just eat it straight, if it's anything like the stuff I get at the Russian grocery in my neighborhood, it'll taste fine on its own. The Russian places near me pickle their own stuff, though, so the cabbage+carrot+cranberry thing I get there is always super fresh and crunchy.

(By the way, if your Slavic grocer has store-made half sour pickles, fucking get them. You'll never want the jarred stuff again.)

Sauerkraut is delicious, you can even eat it raw as a snack.

Protip: fry it up with some onions and poach an egg on top of it for the GOAT cheap meal

Fry with smoked sausage and paprika, or maybe fill pierogi.

Love that stuff, much better than standard sauerkraut. The type with mushroom and spices is the very best.

Let it sit in the back of your fridge for about a year. Take it out one day while cleaning up and taste it. Realize it is gross. Leave it there for another 3 months. Finally just throw the entire thing away.

If you really want to go above and beyond then save the jar

I could go for some of that.

My mom used to make dinner where it was fried trout, mashed potatoes and the carrot/kapusta mix. I miss mixing the potatoes and kapusta together

Crushed black pepper goes great with it.

This.

Use your pepper mill to cover it lightly with black pepper.

Roast some pork marinated with juniper berries and (ground, good quality) proper mustard (preferably from Poland, Germany, what used to be Prussia), and stuff it with this small blocks of apples.

Mash the sauerkraut with some potatoes (Dutch-style stamppot) or serve it on top of it (with the potatoes semi-mashed).

Make a gravy with the meat drippings from the pork with some mushrooms. Pour gravy on top of sauerkraut, potatoes and porkroast.

Sing the songs of the Prussian armies, the Polish hussars and Ukrainian cossacks while lamenting the very existance of Russia while having conflicting feelings about France.

if it's not crunchy anymore and too sour: make a pork neck/belly potato soup with it
meat, big cut potatoes, fried onions, kraut in the end, after everything is together and seemingly done make it sit on low fire covered for a half a hour more. Make it stew thick, maybe even add a bit of potato flakes. No species besides black paper or one bay leaf. Nice with sour cream and raw garlic

>conflicting feelings about France
why are those crepes more popular, what about blini..?

POTATO.

I bet it would make a good fucking reuben

Make Bigos, a polish stew.

bin, don't act like most of the food you take home from eating w/ ur parents doesn't just go to waste.

Hey charles, take some of this home...
ok mom
sits in fridge for week
bin.

Give it to someone else like she did lmao.

She was smart in giving it away, now you're stuck with it.

add sesame oil and gochujang to turn it into kimchi and then eat it with everything

>this is how kimchi is made

prove me wrong

>bought
why? its so easy to make. carrot krauts kinda bad though

It won't be kimchi but I know a number of koreans living in the US who like to make a chige soup with sauerkraut.

i owuld eat it out of the jar with aspoon