What is the best bookstore in your city?

What is the best bookstore in your city?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2016/nov/14/interview-with-a-bookstore-literati-in-michigan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Badger's Books, its a second hand store that has been around for decades with the same 2 people running it. i have picked up all sorts of gold from there over the years; an authors copy of their own book and 1850 edition of Wellington's despatches originally owned by a Lord amongst other things.

Claire doesn't actually read she only buys books for aesthetics purposes

Gosh she's cute

Is that in Madison, WI? Just a guess.

Probably Rizzoli. After that maybe Albertine. The Strand is for tourists and living memes.

Literati Bookstore, in Ann Arbor Michigan

theguardian.com/books/2016/nov/14/interview-with-a-bookstore-literati-in-michigan

West Side Books
I've found there (and nowhere else) some of the best authors I've found here

is she a pseud like cliff? if so, let's end her.

>she only buys books for aesthetics purposes
I fully support that

In my town there is a small second hand bookshop in the indoor market. The dude keeps buying more books, and has essentially built another shop out of bookshelves in front of his shop (rooms included).
Any book you want, he looks them up online, and then can find them in his shop quickly. He has brilliant memory for bookcovers.

>if so, let's end her
christ, user.

omg she is so Veeky Forums

she (female) probably sucks cocks

Women find men sexually attractive, that is so homo.
Women are all gay.

I quite literally don't understand how do they have sex with men, unless the dude is a muscular lean guy, we are pretty gross.

More like il/lit/erate

Orell Füssli (Zurich).

It's bullshit. Small as fuck, only 5 levels, one of which is just with board games, novelty trash and stationary. One is just language learning and textbooks. But it's THE bookstore in Zurich. You have almost no other option I shit you not.
I just buy my books from Book Depository.

oh my God that looks pretentious. what disgusting city is this

We can't all live in fly by states.

that's such an attractive way to rest your hands

Probably Foyles by pure volume
Or the 2nd hand one opposite

oldest bookstore in america. Moravian Book Shop in Bethlehem, PA.

I saved this from a fellow DC user.

>kramer is an overpriced tacky shop used for first dates for vapid people in a vapid city pretending they're cultured

>carpe librum has shit books

>idle time books has shit books

>capitol hill books has pretty good selection but is so "cute" that it's a fucking meme filled with people pretending to read while squealing "oh my god this place is adorable"

>second story books is great but too "intense" for most people just browsing because of its comparatively too small of a fiction section, its antiquarian selection, and its cool but awkwardly bookish staff

>city

WENT INTO A BOOK STORE TODAY

IT WAS THE FIRST STORE MY PARENTS EVER ALLOWED ME TO GO INTO

IT MADE ME HAPPY

just fucking end my life

HEY MAN WHATS UP? YOU A STUDENT, WHERE YOU WORK AT, WANT TO BANG? I WALK BY LITERATI EVERYDAY AND MY HOMIE USED TO BANG A GIRL WHO WORKS THERE

The Monkey's Paw.

it's a meme of a place, but i genuinely enjoy it

Word, it's so ridiculous but I love it.

It's called North Star books. Great owner, great selection. Located right next to your favorite industrial hipster coffee shop.

I'm stuck with a Waterstones, Oxfam or Black Wells. Not much variety.

Magus Books is a bit pricy, but it's the best I can find in Seattle. If anyone knows a better place, I'm all ears.

There used to be this place in NC called Nice Price Books that had a wonderful selection at extremely good prices, but it closed down recently. I dislike being part of the generation that is going to watch used book stores go extinct.

;_;

Your city doesn't have any bookstores?

Anyone know of some bookstores in Portland that arent Powell's? That place is a poser magnet.

Walmart wins by default i guess

powell's city of book

a full city block and then some.

Kaboom Books is the best bookstore here in Houston.

This is very accurate. Capital Hill books is great, the old dude undercharges me every time I go. Second Story is the strongest over all, they also have a warehouse in Rockville with really good prices and a way larger selection.

Magus is relatively cheap, most of their prices are comparable to online sellers like Abebooks. +they give the most money for used books I have ever seen.
Go to the goodwill on dearborn, they have a classics section, everything is $1-3. Pic related is some of the stuff on the shelf last time I was there.

Pretty unbeatable, disregarding the culture surrounding it. The only place you can reliably find somebody like Giammbatista Vico in print

I randomly walked past Bridge Street Books in Georgetown a few weeks ago and went in. It was pretty good as far as new books go.

shit's expensive af, tho, faggot

Oh, god, those stickers. But neat, thanks, I'll check it out.

There's a little corner-shop in my town run by an elderly, white woman. I'm usually the only one there when I visit. It's very homey.

That looks absolutely terrifying with its windows everywhere and people watching while I browse. Like somebody's going to leap out and ask me about artisanal coffee.

only one i know of is brattle (boston) since its near me, but its become a real meme of a place

>bookstore

Jesus, Gramps. You know that $5 used paperback is free on-line, right? You know it's the same text, right? Get with the goddamn times.

>not being a muscular lean guy

I am but lots of chubby dudes have more sex than me.

80% Off Books in fargo, its like HPB but 80% off

The wall of paintings is tacky, but the upstairs labyrinth of unsorted books is fun just to walk through. The prices seemed alright.

I don't know what the best bookstore in all of Los Angeles is but the best one in the San Fernando Valley is probably the Iliad Book Shop.

I'm pretty fond of the Book Trader in philly. I can usually find something worth picking up at the Last Word too

The Neighbourhood Bookstore & Cafe in Winnipeg, MB.

This one, in Copenhagen.

sick burgers cd's Lps and comix. my kind of resto

lol

RETARDS THIS IS A CARLICLAIRE THREAD NO A FUCKING BOOK STORE THREAD REEEEEEEE

don't look like much from the outside but they're great

my man that seccond picture is a cafe. wtf is up with americans and book cafes. there isn't a single one in Toronto and we have a fucking tattoo parlour / cafe.

Wouldnt you rather wade through waist-high stacks of literal garbage and eavesdrop on the autistic screeching of the family who runs the place down the street at Red River?

>tattoo parlor/cafe

That sounds revolting. What is wrong with you bagged milk drinking kanooks?

When I lived in Jerusalem I really liked visiting one called Holzer Books. It's a small and comfy second hand store with a decent variety in several languages. The owner's a really nice and well-read fellow, I think he studied philosophy or Jewish theology. Once bought from him an introductory book to Qabala I didn't got much into yet. Usually there's jazz or old prog/folk rock playing in the background and his doggo laying in the back. The second floor has a nice cushioned sitting area by the window that looks over the street and lectures and discussions are held there every evening, on literature, philosophy, religion, history etc. There was another store I'd go to with shitload of variety and wide rooms full of shelves over shelves, but this one's more cozy and close to heart.

Yep the UK sucks in general imo. Unless you're in a fancy book-y type city like Oxford or Cambridge, or a massive city like London, you're stuck with Waterstone's. Not that it's awful. Some Waterstone's can be really comfy