Tell me about Deleuze. The more I read his writings and read about him, the more I'm interested...

Tell me about Deleuze. The more I read his writings and read about him, the more I'm interested. Do you know anything about his hermeticism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Deleuze
philosopher.eu/a-n-whitehead-summary/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

redpill me on his fingernails

>When a critic seized upon Deleuze's unusually long, uncut fingernails as a revealing eccentricity, he replied: "I haven't got the normal protective whorls, so that touching anything, especially fabric, causes such irritation that I need long nails to protect them."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Deleuze

>when ur so open to the potentialities of being u dont even got fingerprints

>"my way of getting out of [the tradition] was, I really think, a kind of buggery or what comes to the same thing, immaculate conception. I imagined myself getting onto the back of an author, and giving him a child, which would be his and at the same time be a monster."

Deleuze basically anal-raped Spinoza and John Duns Scotus in order to birth his own chaotic model of univocity in which being is predicated upon difference rather than identity. Deleuze is a basket-case of the hermetic/theological tradition, but he nevertheless channels their ideas in his own mad, black way.

responsible for accelerating capitalism and its inherent destructive libidinality by shitting up critique for the past 30 years, literally a mouthpiece for liberalism
>ay jus liberate your desire maaan, gotta express it!!
if he was still alive I would put him in the gulag along with Judith Butler

>liberate your desire

Deleuze is not Foucault. You haven't read any Deleuze, or totally missed the point of a thousand plateaus. He discourages feverishly clawing away at your vitals like a drug addict (IE. tearing down institutional power, liberating the flows of desire, etc.) because doing so doesn't flatten the strata onto the plane of consistency (IE. conceding power absolutely the the authority of the market). It merely engenders a monstrous and hollow shell of a body which is a totally unsustainable way of life.

Haven't read anything about him, but he seems to have been hugely in cinema's theory.

This post was meant as a request for recommendations on entries of his work please

boo for vitalism
>What, however, if there is no puzzled look, but enthusiasm, when the yuppie reads about impersonal imitation of affects, about the communication of affective intensities beneath the level of meaning (“Yes, this is how I design my publicities!”), or when he reads about exploding the limits of self-contained subjectivity and directly coupling man to a machine (“This reminds me of my son’s favorite toy, the action-man that can turn into a car!”), or about the need to reinvent oneself permanently, opening oneself up to a multitude of desires that push us to the limit (“Is this not the aim of the virtual sex video game I am working on now? It is no longer a question of reproducing sexual bodily contact but of exploding the confines of established reality and imagining new, unheard-of intensive modes of sexual pleasures!”). There are, effectively, features that justify calling Deleuze the ideologist of late capitalism.

>'But which is the revolutionary path? Is there one? - To withdraw from the world market, as Samir Amin advises Third World countries to do, in a curious revival of the fascist "economic solution"? Or might it be to go in the opposite direction? To go still further, that is, in the movement of the market, of decoding and deterritorialization? For perhaps the flaws are not yet deterritorialized enough, not decoded enough, from the viewpoint of a theory and a practice of a highly schizophrenic character. Not to withdraw from the process, but to go further, to "accelerate the process". These prophetic lines of Deleuze and Guattari (which legitimized in advance all the theoretical and practical reversals that the new left in power would shortly make), undoubtedly constitute the most coherent philosophical formulation of the contemporary liberal programme (as can be seen by the practical use that someone like Toni Negri stubbornly continues to make use of them); one that corresponds, in sum to the historical moment at which, the major political and cultural practices to its unlimited development having been finally dispelled, liberalism can now turn on its own foundation and as a function of its own logic, becoming in this way 'actually existing liberalism'. Foucault wrote that 'one day the century will be Deleuzean'. He did not realize what truth there was in these words.

>Anti-Oedipus. A marxist of mechanical bent might remark that the well-known success this work enjoyed coincided exactly with the Trilateral Commission beginning its reflections on the new problems of 'governability' faced by contemporary capitalism. this is a point that Michel Clouscard already perceived, in his particular way, back in the 1970s.

w2c sweater?

to my surprise, Michele Lamy (Rick Owens' wife), was a student of Deleuze

Wow what a lucky guy

>Wittgenstein: if you cut them off, will you die?
>Deleuze: It would be very painful...
>Wittgenstein: You're a big guy...
>Deleuze: ... for you!

It's 'extremely painful' you fucking embarrassment.

i heard reading a book that he wrote is the best way to learn about him. could be wrong though not sure

bump

why did deleuze keep his fingernails long?

so he could play his guitarry

this book is a piece of shit (atleast in translated English)

How come?

I've tried reading Dosse's other books, but I find his prose style really obnoxious. He has that typical high French style like
>Ah, but.. can it be? Ah, oui, it can!
Too many fucking literary/rhetorical flourishes. It just reads effeminately to me.

His two-volume set on Structuralism, and his Empire of Meaning, can be great for a panoramic view of the social-scientific zeitgeist, but analytically and "architectonically" they're weak (IMHO). It won't give you much more than the panoramic. I wonder if he has the same problem with Deleuze & Guattari, especially since this flaw would be a dozen times more fatal in their case.

He has a shitload of these biographies though. I think he has one on Ricoeur, Certeau, etc.

top kek

zizek really does have a point there

Why are we talking about this leftcuck marxist trash?

he grew up in the shadow of his older brother who fought in the French Resistance and died on the way to a nazi labor camp

probably why deleuze rants on and on about "microfascisms"

holy fuck

great post user

Currently reading it. Haven't noticed anything strange yet, but I'm only around page 50. Details please?

Good one. Thanks for the laugh user.

Except that he now admits that the view he is describing is pseudodeleuzian. If he did read Deleuze extensively, he missed the point most of the time even though it isn't that difficult.

Because desire is what drives you to call him that by connecting ((feelings)) to signs in what you believe to be objective facts.

Are you sure it isn't his authoritarian father or whore of a mother, Herr Freud?

Why do I ever bother replying to threads? Unless they're obvious bait, they always 404 as soon as I reply. At least the nails joke in this one will stick with me.

Is his book on Foucault any good?

HOW COME THERE ARE ALWAYS BOOKS ABOUT DELEUZE AT BOOKSTORES BUT NEVER BOOKS *BY* HIM

>Alfred North Whitehead if he was an edgelord frenchfag

i made some threads about him in the past and if you replied to them, thank you, user

This is now a Whitehead thread.

Not bad.

Everybody wants to do to Deleuze what he did to other philosophers. Those are not books, those are anal intrusions.

Redpill me on Whitehead. What are his basic ideas and why should I read him?

Don't hold back nigger. Go full spergout. Thank you my friend.

you shouldn't read him
his whole deal is to think about objects as processes instead of substances
he did some neat mathematical logic early on though

I've learned to distrust most millennial bloggers reading Deleuze and being very impressed by the word rhizome and hating anything and everything occult.
I don't know what they've been reading, but even a cursory read of Deleuze initially led me to the idea that he is extremely useful in understanding and approaching esotericism.
For some reason everyone else is obsessed with him in order to legitimize their dumbass perspective on how street fights will bring utopia narrative.

This post though comes very close

That's pretty much guantum physics innit?

philosopher.eu/a-n-whitehead-summary/

This guy is kind of silly but this summary is good and simple.

Whitehead is actually kind of metal when you translate him out of his indiosyncratic language. I think the final passages from the book "Grendel" kind of demonstrate Whitehead's philosophy very well (well, there are parts of that book where Whitehead is quoted verbatim but whatever)

"Grendel, Grendel! You make the world by whispers, second by second. Are you blind to that? Whether you make it a grave or a garden of roses is not the point. Feel the wall: is it not hard?"He smashes me against it, breaks open my forehead. "Hard, yes! Observe the hardness, write it down in careful runes. Now sing of walls! Sing!"(171)

Interestingly enough this is what it feels like to read some of the more difficult parts of Process and Reality.

any recommendations on how to approach deleuze holistically and not just in trendy bits and pieces?

experience schizophrenia in todays capitalist world and then read capitalism and schizophrenia.

Read him in order, including essays from "Desert Islands and Other Texts" and "Two Regimes of Madness". Some books such as Proust & Signs have chapters added later, but that shouldn't be a big deal since Deleuze keeps coming back to the same stuff.

Just read his books cover to cover. Most of the terrible Deleuze commentators you see nowadays have never even read his books, only short chapters reprinted in course packets, if it all. Keep in mind too that Deleuze saw himself as a "pure metaphysician"--while Guattari was more interested in the psychological and historical applications of thought, Deleuze was motivated by the classical sense of philosophy as establishing a metaphysical system upon which human practices and the physical world can be understood. Deleuze himself would never call his thought a "system," but ultimately it's systematic in the sense that everything goes back to flows. There are no objects, only flows of energy contracting and dispersing at different speeds. There is no "self," only a flow and contraction of perception. There is no State, only a flow of social practices invested into certain mechanisms of control and repression. And so on. It's all flows, everything, and if you don't read his works in light of this then you will misunderstand him.

Though "Difference and Repetition" is his hardest work and a bad place to start with him, you should at least be familiar with the metaphysical system he lays out in it. As another poster suggested, "Desert Islands" is a good place to start since it offers a wide variety of his ideas on metaphysics and politics that ultimately come to fruition in "Capitalism and Schizophrenia."

deleuze is essential
if u fuck w/ philosophy, and want to get back to where you were before reading hegel, you have to read deleuze
he is the quintessential post-modern philosopher
just be warned: he's an absolute madman

>fuck w/ philosophy
wew lad

Essential works?

bump