What is the Asian equivalent of starting with the Greeks?

What is the Asian equivalent of starting with the Greeks?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Books_and_Five_Classics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_of_the_Grand_Historian
sjc.edu/application/files/3114/6954/8421/Santa_Fe_Eastern_Classics_Reading_List_2015-2016.pdf
Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tale of Genji

It's also starting with the Greeks.

the four chinese novels
Journey to the West is one. It's a wild fuckin' ride, too.

Confuscianism
Mencius
Xunzi
Taoism
Buddhism (know key ideas and the differences between Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana)

Start with the four books and the five classics 四書五經:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Books_and_Five_Classics

Four books:
Great Learning
Doctrine of the Mean
Analects of Confucius
Mencius

Five Classics:
Book of Songs
Book of Documents
Book of Rites
Book of Changes
Spring and Autumn Annals

Of the above, in English probably just read the "Four Books", then read "Records of the Grand Historian".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_of_the_Grand_Historian

Start with the greeks

Sta ru to wi ta de gre ku so.

An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy: From Ancient Philosophy to Chinese Buddhism by Jeeloo Liu

The Complete I-Ching by Huang

Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy by Philip J. Ivanhoe, Bryan W. Van Norde

Liu begins by telling you how foundational is the Yijing (I-Ching) for all East Asian thought, concepts like Dao, Heaven and Earth, the process philosophy of changes, Yin and Yang, all were introduced there.

Ivanhoe and Norde have pretty much everything, Confucius, the whole Daodejing, Mencius, the inner chapters of the Zhuangzi, Mozi, Legalism, etc.

Did you mean sutaato wizu za guriikkusu?

Start with the Gooks

Start with the Chinese, as per:

Commence with the Chinese

start with the baghdad gitah, onii-chan

Start with the four books and five classics

That's wonderful

commence with the chinese

Lao Zi - Dao De Jing

Read that shit then come to me. Also disregard anything said in this thread. Start with that, research what it is and what it implies and more things will come to you naturally, like with the greeks.

Literally all you should read by the chinese are the Four Great Classics, don't be retarded.

Why would you purposely limit your scope? There is a very rich literary tradition you are missing out on.

winner

They're all in chink though

That's nothing like starting with the Greeks, that's like starting with Dickens.

No, it's not nearly so influential as any of these It's white people shit, like "The Art of War".

intertested. i used to love the dynasty warrior series and want to know the prereq's for romance of the three kingdoms

>It's white people shit, like "The Art of War".
And you don't want the OP to read that because....?
Remember that the Illiad and Odisey are the whitest of white people snob shit. Fuck man, more people need to become familiarized with asian texts.

The first two books on that list (Great Learning, Doctrine of the Mean) are available in this pretty good annotated translation:
www.indiana.edu/~p374/Daxue-Zhongyong.pdf

Confucius and Mencius are available in many online and printed translations.

learn Classical Chinese, brainlet

I was just being playful, of course Laozi is important.

Probably the Analects and Mencius to understand the aesthetics, and also the Records of a Grand Historian for the mythological history leading up to the Han dynasty's collapse.

Advance with the Anime!

Wish with the weebs.

Get up with Genji

Chinese to the East Asians, Greeks to the Russians and Turcic people (the muslims), India to the Indians. Japan has its own thing, but it is rooted in China, although it is downplayed quite a bit there if I understood it correctly.

Joking! It was the Great Nordic Vikings.

Egypt, Babylon and Greece to the Arabs and the Middle Easterners.

Start with the Chinks

lol

bump

This and,
Read them in Swedish then.

10/10

read Zhuangzi / Chuang Tzu senpai
it's lit af

I am came in here just to post this but you beat me to it. Well played sir

>Asian

Who cares?

Commence with the Chinese

Nope
Nuh uh
This would be like starting with Dante and Cervantes.
Warmer
Ding ding ding dong ching chong ping pong ming mong

I haven't seen anyone mention them but the Vedas are to the Old Testament for the eastern tradition what the Chinese are to the Greeks.

sjc.edu/application/files/3114/6954/8421/Santa_Fe_Eastern_Classics_Reading_List_2015-2016.pdf

killing yourself

>the Vedas
Isn't that pooinloo?

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations

this

Yes, and the Old Testament is jewinloo. That's what makes them so similar: Old religion is turned on its head by a savior and spreads through neighboring but originally distinct cultures. Christianity came from Judaism but spread through Greece, Rome, and all of the West. Buddhism came from Hinduism but spread through China, Japan, and all of the East.

Starting with the Greeks or Asians is the same, read Campbell

I have and that's not what he says. While he does believe in a fundamental shared basis of all myths as a reflection of the psyche, he recognizes sociological features of myths that cause them to need reconstruction in the face of changing circumstances. He would also tell you that it's not enough merely to read the Greeks or the Asians, you must read both and more to extract the universal from the particular.

I'm a cotton bowl.
You're a silky leaf.

The Four Great Classical (Chinese) Novels:
Water Margin
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Journey to the West
Dream of the Red Chamber

Korean:
The Cloud Dream of the Nine
Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven
The Story of Hong Gildong
Chunhyangjeon

Japan:
The Tale of Genji
The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
Nansō Satomi Hakkenden
Snow Country - Yasunari Kawabata

start with digimon (which contrary to popular belief, predates pokemon)

starting with the chinks

Veeky Forums doesnt use enough god tier syllabi

Western culture has an intellectual continuity with the Ancient Greeks, but there's no such thing as the Asian intellectual tradition. You'd have to study by region or people (ex: Indians, Chinese, Japanese, etc). Reading basic texts and primary source material on Buddhism and its various schools of thought is useful, but I don't find the use of the term Asia useful in trying to study philosophy or religion; you're better off narrowing it down

This is something I wish I happened more often.