Who are your living heroes?

I realized that all my heroes are dead.

Who are some of your current living heroes? Why? Best anecdote?

Otherwise, tell me about some of your dead heroes, or why my heroes, some of which are depicted, are trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Accomplishment
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I actually think the genuine Men of History at the moment are people like Bannon and Farage.

I'm coming around much more to appreciating men of action. Especially right now.

I don't think I have any current heroes myself, except for my father.

But I think the matter of this whole extremely risky, last-minute stab at fighting globalisation (at least in its post-War formulation) is actually the only place where a kind of heroism has re-emerged and history has been rekindled.

Also, I know this might seem absurd, but I have to give a shout-out to the Veeky Forums hivemind and its meme culture. It's had a remarkable impact and I really have been invigorated by the absurd, savage way it has managed to reconfigure the flows of information and culture and the very direction of history (anyone denying this is blind).

I like Houellebecq

>Nietzsche

he would have preferred your 'future self'

My relation with Nietzsche is a strange one; I agree with large swarths of his thought, but I disagree with more. Despite this denial of his thought, I use it as evidence of being a better Nietzschean than one who agrees with everything he says as, he wrote in Thus Spoke Zarathustra:

'One repays a teacher badly if one always remains nothing but a pupil'

Nonetheless, my appreciation of him stems, more oft than not, for similar Classical interests. I'm with him most of time he speaks of anything BC.

all my heroes are dead for more than 1500 years lmao

Me.

this
heroes don't exist it's just a spooky concept

Cicada 3301

It's time like these where I'm glad I visit Veeky Forums for its uniqueness and freshness of thought.

The good are dead: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Accomplishment

this list too white

How old are you?

wheres joffre my man

This guy comes the closest.

sincerely hope you're kidding

He's a smart man, got me to stop being a /pol/ack and actually read and learn.

>I actually think the genuine Men of History at the moment are people like Bannon and Farage.
Both of them are truly incompetents, they have no real idea what they are doing even when they have influence, the Trump administration is a complete mess and I doubt will be able to get any results that end in any fundamental change... the only populist that is even semicompetent (and that's stretching it) and seems to have some actual plan is Le Pen

well shit that's good to hear. and surprising...usually he's just used as the token "smart guy who agrees with us."

why are you responding to flaming morons?

t. Bernout

Came here to post this. I'm gonna fill the walls with Peterson-posters

Everything they have tried to roll out so far (immigration EO) they fucked up because they don't seem interested in having to perform serious work that's hard and requires planning and coordination, essiently at this point they are just trolling and I doubt that's going to change so noting fundamental is going to get done if that's they're strategy

Usually you're a leftist faggot

What are you talking about? The immigration EO rollout was fine for the most part but a political court stuck their nose in it.

You don't roll out something like that unless you craft it to survive court scrutiny, like I said these guys don't understand what they're doing or are just trolling

alexis texas

>Who are some of your current living heroes?
My dad
>Why?
He saved my life by not wearing a condom

>One repays a teacher badly if one always remains nothing but a pupil

Steve Reich

>I realized that all my heroes are dead.
But user, they're alive in spirit and in the hearts and minds of people like you

go to bed alex

Hitler

First post is again the best post. Thread can be closed now.

>the only populist that is even semicompetent (and that's stretching it) and seems to have some actual plan is Le Pen
kys

>Steve Reich
Why is that?

Oh, fuck. I just listened to his 'Music for 18 Musicians'. What a masterpiece!

E Michael Jones

I don't get it. Why is it so good?
How can I achieve a better appreciation of this?

My dad.

Also

>Hegel AND Schopenhauer
wjat the fucks

Gene Wolfe - Classical storyteller in the 21st century.

Dick Smith - The only prominent Australian with the sense and balls to say that this country is 10 different kinds of fucked. And he addresses human overpopulation, a strikingly obvious issue that nobody else dares to touch.

Peter Hitchens - He completely understands how fucked Britain is but has the decency to be civil about it and explain it all even though he knows it's beyond saving.

Armond White - The only living movie critic who's really worth a damn. Aside from maybe Slavoj Zizek.

It's often hard to appreciate music intellectually if you don't know the history of a certain sub-genre in detail, because you can't see who did what.

Try listening to the history of minimalist avant-garde. If you don't develop an appreciation, oh well.

Try:

Terry Riley - In C
Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air
Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes
Steve Reich - Drumming
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic
Harold Budd - The Pavilion of Dreams
Steve Recih - Music for 18 Musicians
Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach
Meredith Monk - Tablet
Steve Reich - Octet
Meredith Monk - Dolmen Music
Philip Glass- Glass Works
William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops
Arvo Parte - Tabula Rasa

Aphex. Twin. Hes a legit creative genius.

idk that feel user, all my heroes are immortal

Who's the middle bottom?

The middle bottom is Zeno of Citium, the founder of Stoicism.

L.E?

>No Engels

these guys right here

They're sad? But I wuv them.

I don't see why he'd stop you from being /pol/ unless you were the kind who just blindly hated things.
He's just telling you to lead by example.

That said, I agree with him on the dangers of buying into right-wing identity politics and playing the left's game. But there is a lot of room between Richard Spencer and the left, and just because you're "sorting yourself out" you shouldn't be apolitical in the meantime.

>are you fucking kidding
>you're a fucking white male
>oh okay you're back with us, everything's cool

Men of history will always be flawed because the self-doubting, no-interest-in-power thinkers don't end up in positions like that. So all we can do is accept the leaders closest to the thinkers we'd prefer. And every fringe movement starts out with a lot of crazy in the leadership because those with a lot to lose aren't going to sacrifice it in years of public humiliation and media attacks.

I don't like the idea of having heroes since everyone comes with their flaws, especially those with a lot of publicity. I admire everyone who is a good citizen, independent thinker and has the balls to just work on himself and start a family without becoming escapist.

Engels ruined Capital with his edits. Marx probably pretended to be his friend because he was rich.

that's not even awkward, it's cringe... just cringe.

>aristotle
>100
>plato
>87

>shakespeare
>100
>dante
>62

What the actual fuck do those numbers mean?

"Murray ranks the leading 4,000 innovators in several fields of human accomplishment from 800 BC to 1950. In each field Murray identifies a number of sources (leading encyclopedias, histories and surveys) providing information about the leading figures in the field. The rankings are made from information in these sources. A raw score is determined based on how many sources mention and on how much space in each source is devoted to a person. Then these raw scores are normalized so that the lowest score is 1 and the highest score is 100. The resulting scores are called "Index Scores"."

It's supposed to be a scientific, objective measure, as opposed to asking "Hey Veeky Forums who do you think is best?"

I have a genuine liking for Jordan Peterson.

>Goethe > Dante
Thas right.

We wuz philosophers an shit

>the same author as the bell curve

too fucking bad, nigger.
and we're taking africa back from you, too.

>a scientific, objective measure
lol do you seriously believe there's such a way to judge human culture? even made by a random american dude

kek

No, I don't. All he measures is how often certain people are referenced in certain works. It's far from perfect, but it's one way to measure things.

I don't think it's particularly great either since it's slanted towards those whose names have become memes, like Einstein.

>picasso
>77

I never realized that ultimately it is a measure of meme-ness. The hope, however, is that the widespread knowledge of an individual and his accomplishments is an adequate gauge of that individual's work.

Ultimately, the cultural impact of an individual is a difficult, if not impossible, task to quantify.

Why?

Who is that?

Nick Land

Truly the Mishima of our generation...

>mfw people actually take this kike faggot seriously