Hi Veeky Forums, poorfag from 3rd world shithole here...

Hi Veeky Forums, poorfag from 3rd world shithole here. I finished high school a year ago and I want to learn calculus so that I can have a base to study machine learning. I never had any calculus lessons at school but I am pretty proficient in algebra and trigonometry. What are some book
recommendations to start learning basic calculus with little mathematics background?

Other urls found in this thread:

ilectureonline.com/lectures/subject/MATH/20
youtube.com/user/professorleonard57
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Aren't 3rd world shitholes supposed to teach more maths in high school than in western countries? At least in the post-commies you get 2 years of caluclus and linear algebra, and a bit of abstract algebra

Anyway, check the sticky.

Where are you from?
Rudin is a good one for analysis, then read some book on stats.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't calculus made easy a book written by a crackpot who does everything with infinitesimals?

I remember I struggled a bit in calculus 2 back in high school and I googled for "easy calculus", found that shit and then laughed my ass off.

EPSILON AND DELTAS MOTHERFUCKER
DO YOU SPEAK THEM?

And this book isn't calculus. Again, OP, do not read this book either. This is not what you are looking for.

I am not going to be here forever so OP listen to me. The books you get recommended here may be trolls but as a rule of thumb you should get the book and then see the index. If it has any chapters called "set theory" or "topology" then those books are NOT what you are looking for.

This book has a theory on which stats for ml is based. Maybe it isnt about calculus only, but it includes calculus.

I strongly advice against reading this book. It's best as a reference for student who already know basic analysis ( not calculus ), and is a bad introduction even for those who already know calculus. The best option for you is to do as I did, to learn basic calculus from khanacademy. The explanations are top-notch and you get a lot of practice with well-made exercises.
After calculus, to do machine learning, you also need to learn basic linear algebra. Khanacademy is also a good source for that. Then, you will not be totally lost when learning machine learning. You will be able to understand what the terms they use mean, and where to look up what you don't know.
So yeah, basically, if you don't know what an integral is and what a determinant is, use khanacademy.

You understand that this boom defines integral? So you dont need to know about it before reading. Khanakademy is a meme, 8 out of 10 times it gives "intuitions" instead of proofs.
If you will learn calculus this way, you will be able to understand only basic machine learning.

Put off calculus and read "Book of Proof"

Of course it's not a rigorous introduction, but it's a good beginning. Delving into baby Rudin right away will almost surely demotivate him and he's never going to touch a calculus book, and for that matter, a ML book again.

>basic analysis ( not calculus )
Whats the difference?

As I understand, basic calculus is only about intuition about derivatives and integrals, rules how to perform these operations and their basic applications. While analysis is all about proofs, making rigorous foundation of it all, convergence, point-set topology and whole bunch of other shit you wouldn't advice to learn for a person who finished high-school a year ago and just became proficient in algebra.

It can get a false impression about what actually happens in ml(which is statistics which is analysis).
I was there, at the end I had to learn analysis, it may be just waste of time to start from khanacademy. Maybe it is better to loose motivation earlier than later.

Person who finished hs usually goes to uni where he immediately starts analysis on the 1st semester.

Yeah but also person who finishes hs usually already has basic knowledge of calculus. OP pointed out he has not, which is why khanacademy is way better than a rigorous analysis book for him.

you will not ever get to a point where machine learning makes intuitive sense without multiple years of a math degree or graduate study in computer science.

either give up or seek a university

ilectureonline.com/lectures/subject/MATH/20

>3rd world shitholes supposed to teach more maths in high school than in western countries
There's spic countries where math education is even worse that in in america.

whats wrong with khan academy, why does no one mention it?

He asked for a book.

Besides, anyone who is self-teaching themselves calculus over the Internet will stumble upon Khan Academy at some point.

>Hi Veeky Forums, poorfag from 3rd world shithole here
i know that feel, take this and be a good person

youtube.com/user/professorleonard57

Just use free online resources like khan academy or edx

Brazil case:

>Mexican here
Yes, in public schools, math stops at basic algebra and SOMETIMES trigonometry. education is almost nonexistent.
Only the "top public schools" which vary from state to state have competitive level, and admission is tough as balls and have Math championships and such. those are at a pretty good level, but very bad and archaic education methods.

Pay for the wall.

Study statistics