Which books should I start from Dostoyevsky Veeky Forums?

Which books should I start from Dostoyevsky Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Writers-Diary-Fyodor-Dostoevsky/dp/0810125218
newyorker.com/magazine/2005/11/07/the-translation-wars
youtube.com/watch?v=G7wrihZcAvo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

crime and punishment obviously.

Notes from Underground

This
This too
All of it

his diary desu
amazon.com/Writers-Diary-Fyodor-Dostoevsky/dp/0810125218

C&P is the most popular but it is also his worst work(Still Great). Brothers Karamazov is better than Crime and punishment. You should still start with Notes from Underground.

The dream of a ridiculous man

this
it gives dostoevsky's idea in layman terms, and makes each other book more clear (spare demons)

White nights

>plebstoyevsky

Requesting best translation for
C&P
Notes from underground
The brothers K
Other books too
?

What's his diary like, m8?

I'm finishing up the Oliver ready translation right now. I can't compare it to any other translations since it's my first time reading the book, but I really enjoyed it. His notes are extremely helpful too

I didn't like it

antisemtic
he took the redpill

Brothers Karamazov

I bought TBK, Notes, and The Idiot. The Idiot had the most amusing first few pages, so I read it. I don't know what difference the order in which you read his works makes.

Volkohonsky and Pevear are my Go to Translation for all things Dostoyevsky.
*NEVER READ CONSTANCE GARNETT TRANSLATIONS*

Interesting article about this
newyorker.com/magazine/2005/11/07/the-translation-wars

Start with his fist, like you would any other author

Notes from Underground (1864) was his first

I don't understand why Garnett is supposed to be so bad. I read TBK and C&P in both translations and the only difference I noticed was that Garnett seemed a little more formal and PV was more easily readable (granted it was a good period of time between readings so if they changed things I may not have noticed).

this

No, no it wasn't. Poor Folk was his first (1948). It's good.

See

Shit. You're correct. Also House of the Dead (1862) came out before Underground.
Should have doublechecked before I posted.

To whom is Dostoyevsky's work meant? I have never read one of his book, what should I expect by reading Brothers Karamazov? Great fiction, something to think about?

>I have never read one of his book
>starts with BK

Start with C&P, my man.

Notes - Michael R. Katz
C&P - Oliver Ready
The Idiot - Alan Myers
Devils - Michael R. Katz
The Brothers Karamazov - Ignat Avsey

What's the worst book to start with? Which of his is the most difficult?

Oliver Ready for C&P and P&V for the rest

Thank you for the recommandation. Care to explain the reason to a dilettante?

P&V are great writers and it really comes through on their best passages. But their methodology is so anal about "accuracy" that large portions of their translations come off awkward.

I prefer McDuff. His writer is more flat, but it's consistently good and flows nicely.

I've read some of his short stories translated by Garnett. They read just fine, I'm just not sure if it's all 100% there, but it's good enough.

I thought The Devils took forever to get started.

Notes from Underground is a way better intro to FyoDo. It is also shorter, easier to get into, and more engaging.

Move gradually to finally enjoy the deluxe experience of Dosto. It's an easy one to start. C&P will set your mind properly for the further immersion into his world.

Thanks to both of you. I will give each book his chance.

I started with The Idiot, and then followed it up by The Brothers Karamazov. Somehow I do not feel like I will regret this decision in any way and was blown away by both books.

Crime and Punishment is up next for me and that is what most people would suggest first anyhow.

They read fine, but it's not Dostoevsky.

Apart from TBK, C&P, Demons, The Idiot and Notes, what else should I read from him? I've read The Double and The Gambler, and while I like them, I don't think they are as good. Should I read some of his other novellas or move on to another author?

I did like it

White Nights, Dream of a Ridiculous Man, and The House of the Dead, in which the last one was highly praised by Tolstoy. That's pretty much all of his great works including the ones in your post, which is just mind boggling for just one individual to write

WRONG
Reading list should go
1.Dream of A Ridiculous Man
2.White Nights
3.The Gambler
4.Notes From Underground
5.Crime and Punishment
6.The Possessed
7.The Idiot
8.Brothers Karamazov

I wish Oliver Ready translated all of his works. Penguin could make some big bucks doing a deluxe edition for each novel

Why did you link my point about Translations? This.

Spacing fucked up

because stone cold said so

This one his best

I didn't mind it but notes was way better

youtube.com/watch?v=G7wrihZcAvo

Dreams is his best short story tbqhfam

this list is okay.
pull The Gambler, and you don't need to read The Idiot or Demons before Bros K, let alone both.

there are some who recommend Notes after C&P for a retrospective of Rodia, but thats down to preference

Did you pull this fact out of your ass pleb

BK is the best one imo so it should be read last .

>my favorite is the best
plenty of people prefer one of his other 3 novels over BK.
anyways, the point of a reading list isn't about enjoyability, it's about having a better understanding of the author and their ideas.

Why is BK last on the list for everyone?

It is too good to start with.