I got laughed at for saying NDT is our generation's Einstein

I don't understand

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose–Hawking_singularity_theorems
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Phenotyplets just don't understand user.

because NDT is a science communicator, not a scientist. yes, he has degrees, mostly honorable doctorates and does no research. he writes books, has appearances, but does not actively work in the field.
he stands on the shoulder of giants and appears to be larger than life, but he's just a tv personallity, parroting others discoveries to educate and entertain.
he just had luck that carl sagan, another science populist, was his mentor who made him that awesome person he is today.

but i would not put him on the same level as Einstein or hawking because these two actually have scientific publications of their works, and not just essays and books like NDT.

This

Hawking is also a science populist, yes he made some contributions but they were nothing groundbreaking. Nowadays the man is just a joke who likes to meddle with subjects he has no idea of like "MUH PHILOSOPHY IS DEAD" or write books for normies.

to be fair, in his early days when he still did do research, he had a hand full of publications in some journals.

UVBY Photometry of Blue Stragglers in NGC 7789

Bursting Dwarf Galaxies: Implications for Luminosity Function, Space Density, and Cosmological Mass Density

On the possibility of Gas-Rich Dwarf Galaxies in the Lyman-alpha Forest

Radial Velocity Distribution and Line Strengths of 33 Carbon Stars in the Galactic Bulge

An Exposure Guide for Taking Twilight Flatfields with Large Format CCDs

The Expanding Photosphere Method Applied to SN1992am at cz = 14600 km/s

The Type Ia Supernova 1989B in NGC3627 (M66)

BVRI Light Curves For 29 Type Ia Supernovae

Optical light curves of the Type IA supernovae SN 1990N and 1991T

COSMOS: Hubble Space Telescope Observations

The Faint-End Slopes of Galaxy Luminosity Functions in the COSMOS Field

he hasnt done anything super amazing since the late 90s, and his last puplication in astrophysical journal letters is 10 years back.
but yeah.
he no einstein

NDT cucks my wife, I can almost take his entire length

step aside, you clowns.
i am the co-creator of the string field theory, and even less of a scientist than neil.

imagine the following:

the universe, a symphony of vibrating strings...where we are nothing but melodies. nothing but cosmic music played out on vibrating strings and membranes.

This. He has much better credientials than Bill Nye and does a bit more actual educating, but hasn't really made any landmark contributions (other than fostering at least transient normie interest in Veeky Forums). Hawking probably straddles the media/research gap more than anyone else, but he isn't really "our" generation much more than Carl Sagan is.

well, bill nye is a mechanical engineer.. who happened to land in a science show.. nye is nye the science guy... not nye the scientist. im taking neil more seriously than nye

>there are more transcendental numbers than irrational numbers
>there are 'five levels of infinity'
t. tyson

he's done some academic stuff, but he is no einstein

He's an autistic asshole who spends all his time shitting on science fiction movies on Twitter because he hates fun. He's the definition of a fedora tipping neckbeard who isn't really a scientist but gets pushed as an authority because of his race. He is intelligent, but not a genius and not a pioneer.

NDT didn't revolutionize physics

pretty much sums it up pretty well

You don't need to be actively researching to be scientist. Scientist is a lifelong title.

In the sense of being the face of normie science, your comparison is actually valid. However, as scientists, they're nothing a like. NDT has a few decent publications, but hasn't put anything out in around 10 years and never won a significant research honour in his field. Einstein published his whole career, won the Noble Prize in Physics and revolutionized his area.

I can't help but think I've read about this theory before PePe.

god i fucking hate michio

bullshit. if you're not being paid to do scientific research, you're not a scientist

what if you're an expert witness?

i dont think you get paid for that

nah they make hella bank

Regardless, you have to be an expert anyway before they ask you to do that, which means they're a scientist.

> no groundbreaking contributions
Go read a GR textbook and see if you still have this opinion

do not respond to shitposters

>Newfags actually replying seriously ITT
Veeky Forums was a mistake

R8 8/8, gr8 b8 m8.

>replies in a shitposting thread

>le ebin bats man

>yes he made some contributions but they were nothing groundbreaking

wew lad

just start here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose–Hawking_singularity_theorems

I'd argue that being able to get the younger generation interested in science, maths and astronomy is just as important than actual research, he also helps promote a science literate society (USA really needs this atm) i cant fault him for what he's doing

>science populist, yes he made some contributions but they were nothing groundbreaking. Nowadays the man is just a joke who likes to meddle with subjects he has no idea of like "MUH PHILOSOPHY IS DEAD" or write books for normies.

It's a job with following actions, not a title.

i would say elon musk is more qualified or stephen hawking.

Hi. First of all, thank you for the great introduction: I'm very happy to be the speaker myself. I would like to say that the internet is an extremely powerful tool for DEMOCRACY. I mean, just think about Type 1 civilizations, which harvest the powers of the planet, and there's Type 2 civilizations, that harvest the powers of the star, and Type 3 civilizations, which harvest the powers of the galaxy. But what I wanted to talk about is String Theory - which by the way is the very field I work on - and that has everything to do with chips. In the future, there will be a chipping chip that chips chipped chips. And we will pay PENNIES for that. That's because Moore's law says that technology doubles every 6 months or so. Today, chips have the power of a roach. In some time, they will have the power of a mouse, then a cat or dog, and then of a chimp. That's becausen we physicists do things for free, and I take personal credit for every human invention in the world because I am a theorical physicist, as after all, when I was younger I asked my mom to build a particle collider in our basement, and she said "yeah right kid", and that's how I got into college and destroyed all the resistors we had in the garage. The other day I saw a kid and she started telling me "Professor, professor, you are WRONG!" and I just said, "yeah, shut up kid. That's a nice intersection, why don't you go play over there?". You also should definetely not worry about the dangers of the technologies in the future, because we will make chips to destroy chips too. Please check out my newest episode on the Sci-Fi channel, where I waste your time by repeating exactly everything I said so far.

How you americans say it? He is just "articulated".

It's a stupid tweet, but contributing to scientific advancements is not the same as being an infallible superhuman

Nail disgrace Tyrone

>but contributing to scientific advancements is not the same as being an infallible superhuman
Exactly. It is a prerequisite.
Black science man go home!

he has many more than just that one

>ifunny