MSG

Let's talk MSG, the dangers have been seriously overblown and I've heard some good things about this stuff.

Do you regularly use it?
What do you like to add it to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7EnWiGYT1g4
cbsnews.com/news/sugar-high-fructose-corn-syrup-worse-for-your-health/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I use yugoslavia's finest here

Makes everything taste better, I add it to meat, soup, pasta, almost everything

The "dangers" have always been total bullshit

Forgot pic

I use Vegeta as the stock for my stewed lentils which I eat whenever I have no meat so like once or twice a week. It's just a naturally occurring salt that's been concentrated, like any other salt don't use a lot if you value your health.

the ‘dangers’ are straight up delusions rooted in racism

No not because of health reasons I just think it's cheating.

I don't think it's racism. A lot of people didn't understand how much salt they were actually consuming. They'd usually get a main dish that has salt/MSG in it, put soy sauce on their rice, and drink a Coke that has sugar but also salt in it too. They blamed MSG anyway, and not Chinese people. They would still get Chinese food, they'd just want it without MSG. Racist people wouldn't do that, I think.

Them saying its bad for you and in Chinese food which is so tasty I got some of this thinking it would make things yummy.

It doesn't though, it gives things an off taste. It not good.

Johnnys and this chicken caldo stuff. I put it in literally everything that calls for salt, usually jist sprinkle a little after i already put regular salt. I think my subconsious thinks itll taste better.
It does

You must have been using a shitty brand, using a shitty recipe, or succumb to the power of suggestion. It's literally pure savory flavor, just like salt is purely salty and sugar is purely sweet. There's no other "flavor" to be tasted.

Salt and sugar still have a "flavor" to them. He probably just used too much.

I'm studying to become a dietitian. Professors have, fairly frequently, made sure we're aware that MSG is perfectly safe and that at the very worst there is a group of maybe 0.5% of the population that has "sensitivity" to it, which causes seemingly random effects from headaches to stomach aches. One of them flat out insisted those people were just your typical crazies you get in studies like that. I use it in a lot of my cooking. It's okay. Not the miracle spice some claim it to be but it's useful.
Take from that what you will.

Fags who use MSG are just making everything taste like meat.

Fun fact, if you own MSG, taste some and hold your nostrils closed. (flavor = taste + aroma. with the nostrils closed, you get no aroma, only taste. taste comes from the tongue.) You will taste meat on your tongue. It's a bizarre experience.

Anyway, that savory, meaty flavor does naturally occur in things like parmesan, tomatoes, mushrooms, seaweed, etc. etc., but when you incorporate those ingredients into your cooking, you are also adding their aromas along with a slew of other tastes. I would think that you guys are generating some strange, unbalanced flavors in your dishes by using the distilled essence of savoriness, especially if you use it on all sorts of stuff, but hey. It's your cooking, not mine.

you want to shift the balance, not throw it out of whack
so, don't use so much

Fair enough. I have seen "modernist" type recipes call for a small percentage of MSG. At the same time, I know these fucks ITT are just shaka-shaka-ing MSG on all their cooking like a noob cook uses garlic powder or Lawry's or something

most dishes involving ground meat benefit from it. I use it in some types of meatballs, pelmeni, and burgers.

Nah cunt I said only as stock for lentil stew

>headaches to stomach aches
I am one of those people. I discovered this when I was dating my polish ex-gf. Every time she'd make me breakfast I would get sick as hell, soon after I'd finish eating, I'd feel like I got an instant hangover. One day I was like "not so fast, I'm watching you cook" and the only thing different about what she did was using a bunch of Accent.
I'm not any kind of pussy when it comes to food, no allergies, etc... I admit, it tastes good, but it definitely fucks me up. That said, I do think she just used too much, but I do tend to avoid it.

It only tastes weird if you taste it directly. Also, you usually need just a pinch or two in most dishes. If using it, you should also cut the amount of salt you add to the dish.

If you have tomato, mushroom, cheese, anchovies, or other foods with MSG naturally in them, you probably don't need to add it, as too much can give food a bit of an odd flavor.

Fuck MSG. When I cook I'm not going to be a shitstain or lazyass restauraunt cook and try to bypass flavor building by a quick fix with an industrial petroleum produced chemical who god knows what byproducts are there. Part of the enjoyment of cooking is developing flavor. MSG is a lazyman's way to pretend to cook.

Ever used Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce, or mushrooms? Congratulations, you've used glutamates. And if you add salt, that's sodium too.

Chemicals are chemicals regardless of whether you distilled them from natural ingredients or synthesised them with reactions in a lab (and no, MSG is not a petroleum by-product). Besides, why do you think a simple flavour enhancer is somehow going to cheapen good cooking, or save a bad chef?

>you distilled them from natural ingredients or synthesised them with reactions in a lab

You can't be so naive as to believe that there are not unwanted and downright dangerous byproducts in the industrial manufacture of your favorite cheat sheet MSG. You are aware of course that the big agri/chem corps aren't required to list all of their ingredients in the manufacture of their products and the rsidue that resides therein.

You guys take it to the extreme. Le meme blogs bitch, so I'm fucking going nuts and dumping it over everything. I'll show 'em, fuckin' SJW.

Well that's interesting. It was just that one professor that said it was in their head. It wasn't really part of the lesson either, just sort of a thing he said. Have you tried testing it yourself? Just frying an egg and putting some on there. I'd be curious to know. Either way, if someone has a sensitivity to it they'd know something was wrong like you did. People act like it's some weird long term mystery poison that does something, no one knows what, but it's probably bad.

i used to fake headaches to get out of school, to the extent that i had MRIs and CAT scans and counseling sessions, my mom "decided" that it was just too much MSG and never let me eat ramen again
fuckin bullshit
semi-ruined my childhood, fuck her shitty weird poor family cooking
just let me have the ramens

>the dangers have been seriously overblown
>increases insulin levels by 300%
>overblown
Amerifats, when will they learn?

Makes Stuff Good seasoning

Its exactly the same as salt

watch the Binging with Babish video on the Kraby Patty.

there are lots of ways to use actual food to punch up the Glutimate content of your food.

youtube.com/watch?v=7EnWiGYT1g4

>my mom "decided" that it was just too much MSG and never let me eat ramen again
>fuckin bullshit
>semi-ruined my childhood, fuck her shitty weird poor family cooking
>just let me have the ramens
She saved you a world of problems in your adult life and in response you're an ungrateful twat. Neck yourself.

or just drink more water

Yeah and corn syrup's the same as sugar.

they are exactly the same except in taste retard

t. American education

cbsnews.com/news/sugar-high-fructose-corn-syrup-worse-for-your-health/

Not even an American, stay obsessed and stay brainwashed

Sugar isn't anymore healthy or dangerous than corn syrup

I can get that you like the taste of sugar more that's it

>Fags who use MSG are just making everything taste like meat.

what is a tomato?

where did this fucking retarded meme start?

Legitimate "dangers" aside, if you are with or around someone who is susceptible to migraine it will be a definite problem.

>what is a tomato?
A fruit full of antioxidants and fiber.

and MSG retard

where do you buy this irl?

Which isn't the same as adding MSG on its own, twat.

what would happen if you ate a spoonful of plain msg? just curious

>muh headaches