Is Infinite Jest a meme or do people enjoy the writing unironically?

Is Infinite Jest a meme or do people enjoy the writing unironically?

I cannot tell if this is schoolboy drivel or literary genius.

This writing is not very good.

Hold on, how many pages do you usually get with a preview? I don't know why I've never taken advantage of that.

Depends on the size of the book and the kindness of the publisher. I only got 30 pages for a sample of Lolita.

IJ has 1,100 pages of this stuff. Toddler or Tolstoy?

>I only got 30 pages for a sample of Lolita.

That's pretty good. I sometimes considering buying new books (ie Private Citizens) but hold off because I don't know how good they'll actually be. A 20-30 page preview would help a lot.

Sorry for going off-topic. I haven't read IJ but I find DFW to be pretty inconsistent. I love some of his short stories but found The Broom of the System to be a real drag.

a very human conversation between two human individuals

Despite how shitty Apple software is, I always found Books was a decent app. Books by dead authors more than 75(?) years ago are free which is good.

it reads like John greens looking for Alaska

it's both you dip
the weird thing is that DFW was very much capable of beautiful prose (cf. "Forever Overhead" or "Peoria")
he was trying to do something with IJ that made the prose instead this weird chimera of naive pop culture regurgitation and postmodern irony bait
if you don't like it then you don't like it though
I won't fault you for that

>Is Infinite Jest a meme or do people enjoy the writing unironically?
Both, but those people are fucked in the head.

holy shit. there really is no discernible talent.

>Title is literally Infinite Jest
>As in, unending joke reaching in all directions
>is this srs you guiz????

do you really read on a phone

His nonfiction is more enjoyable, IMO. Steer clear of his tennis stuff though. Try consider the lobster

>62.5%

Is this because the character's autistic, or is everything narrated this way?

The title of a book is never meta dude. The story might be considered a long joke in the main characters point of view but the writing style has nothing to do with it.

Wow this sucks.

I've only read very short excerpts and thought they were cherry picked and the book couldn't have been THAT bad. It's almost word salad. What the fuck?

The title of the book is always meta

kek

It's the best book I've ever read. I also read gravity's rainbow and V and some dostoevsky.
It's definately a book worth reading and after you're done reading it you'll probably want to read it again. Just try going with it, it has it's moments and pretty much every scene is memorable at the very least.

the hell? that legitimately looks like john green shit, all the memes make sense now

The writing is the way it is, in this case, because the narrator has mild autism, much like OP. The rest of the book is elegant.

never heard of john green and just read the synopsis for LFA, looks like its a shitty book anyway. no loss especially if it reads like these screenshots.

First day on Veeky Forums and this reads to me like the author was trying to be as much of an asshole to his readers as possible

I also think this would read far better if OP didnt read his shit like a vertical hotdog and had some god damn width to his pages

It's because the author was autistic. Does that implicitly make all of his characters autistic, or does it make them normies as interpreted by an autist? There's no right or wrong answer, it's just a choice in interpretation.

It's best qualities are a little more subtle than the not-too-subtle prose itself, there is a haunting quality to the book, a sort of desperation at being understood, that haunts and encourages rereads

ok. ok. wow. just... ok. just read the fucking book for yourself and if you don't like it put it down. holy shit you are fucking dense.

This. "A Supposedly Fun Thing," for instance, is a terrific romp.

Damn, literally no one in this thread shows signs of having actually read the book.

The opening chapter is written from the POV of Hal, who had been increasingly socially isolated and anxious for years for some reason, most likely the mold he ate as a child described in that chapter reacting to a high-strength MKULTRA-era hallucinogen he took later on. He had been this way for a very long time but it gets much worse following a particularly shitty year at Enfield for Hal.

Some DFW passages are pretty fucking obnoxious, but there's usually (USUALLY) a good reason for it.

literally 2deep4u