Literary confession thread

literary confession thread

I don't read or write, I just come here to redpill

I only read 10 pages a day.

>with each book i read i become better than everyone else

i can't decide what books to read
i can't decide which language to learn

I read 50-100 pages everyday. When I don't I self harm and cut myself in one spot over and over for 50 times so it gets pretty deep.

I read

>I enjoyed the plot of Atlas Shrugged
>I care about the appearance of the books I read both on the shelf and when I'm reading in public
>Started reading just to get a bit more knowledgeable
>I exclusively read Classics & Modern Classics

I only read 1/3 of War and Peace and 1/2 of In Search of Lost Time.

It took me three years to read the Harry Potter books (I was in 2nd grade when I started).

I find it hard to read books that aren't on the Western Canon list

Nine years ago my uncle gifted me a book of poetry and I only started reading it yesterday.

wow fuck you

>can't decide which language to learn
Start learning a few and see which one(s) you stick with.

Read Dostoyevsky
Learn Russian

I'm monolingual, and the only language I'd consider learning is Afrikaans

I keep getting lost about who's talking in The Recognitions.

>Franzen
throw it into the trash

I have not finished one book over 200 pages long. Ever. I still come on this forum to argue with people. Thankfully, I can make up misinformation very, very often and nobody can tell who I am or will be none the wiser because it is too subtle.

wut?

Are you me? Or was this a post specifically designed to encompass Veeky Forums in its entirety, Atlas Shrugged-fags included?

Better than most people, fortunately.

I read the post-Ian Fleming 007 books.

I dropped blood meridian after the second page because the style was so jarring after reading nothing but Dostoevsky for the last month

I think that post 19th century poetry is worthless

all poetry is worthless

all is worthless

I have so many ideas, but I just can't get them out.

They could all be complete garbage and I'll probably never know, because, try as I might, I haven't been able to put a word on paper in years, and it'll probably stay that way forever.

Honestly, I'm kind of ashamed.

I'm the user who started doing Proustposting. It's like shitposting but spouting out as much In Search of Lost Time references, Proust photos, Proust threads, and saying ulysses is nothing compared to Swann's Way. I also masturbate to Proust

Read a bunch of authors with different styles and try to find one that you can plug your own ideas into, without worrying too much about the outward form it takes.

This helped me a lot with the same problem. As I encountered more stylistic options and realized you really do have a lot of latitude in how you get your concepts across, I just tried a bunch out, and in the process I got much more confident and moved forward toward real writing.

I think the first shit I wrote was in the style of Feyerabend's Three Dialogues. Read that shit and ask yourself whether you have to be a fucking supergenius to write something similar.

I only read to cultivate the appearance of being cultured. I don't enjoy reading literature, or enjoy anything for that matter.

I only read about 20 pages a day and I haven't read in 4 days

Both books of Kings in the Bible are confusing af

Joshua is also hard because it mentions 2 dozen dead civilizations in a geopolitical context where location matters. But I would agree with you.

I don't like Orwell. Animal Farm and 1984 are both lame commentaries.

Even waifus?

I've written more books than I've read

no, I was mocking him
Waifus are the most important things in all of existence

Take note: existence, not non-existence.

what

I spent my afternoon reading a Harry Potter fanfic where harry falls in love and fucks Mycroft Holmes.
>tfw it was actually really good

WAIFUS AREN'T REAL, THE HOLOCAUST IS A LIE, AND YOUR PITIFUL EGOCENTRIC SOMETHING SOMETHING REDPILL BAIT

>waifus aren't real
wrong

>WAIFUS AREN'T REAL
too right. too long has this 2DPD shit gone on. no more illustrations. pure thoughts and idealism only, you filthy fucking material empiricist pigdogs.
>daily reminder you do not have a body to touch at night, an equally absurd conceit

>daily reminder you do not have a body to touch at night
So you are saying that I'm alone. Is this supposed to make me sad? I accepted that fact years ago, and choose to ignore this reality and replace it with the universes authors create for me.

I lied I'm so fucking lonely please help I don't even remember the feeling of holding someone else in my arms

Meme tier author

I like warhamer books.

I read the first six Harry Potter books and never read the seventh. Never will.

I like broad periphery books as opposed to primary sources. I'd rather read a professional who synthesizes many primary sources than read endless primary sources myself. There's just not enough time.

I sincerely think Frieza is the ultimate, most ruthless villain in all of fiction.

I've been reading a children's horror alternate history series for the last two weeks and I don't regret anything.

David Foster Wallace could've been the next Dickens if he wasn't so eager for academic approval and avant-garde cred. The "big ideas" in Infinite Jest that sanction the author being irritating, or boring, or indulgent, are just excuses. He was a great writer who serially explained away his bad habits with theory. Somebody smart could edit Infinite Jest into a better novel.

Same. I passed the age of the target demographic when the seventh one came out.

Not , but I've started doing this. Yesterday I read a couple of Montaigne's essays and, in looking up the references and re-contextualizing them to better understand how Montaigne's trying to communicate his opinion, I inadvertently started writing a sketch of two people discussing M's sources without actually attributing it to him. It seems so disingenuous, like panning a riverbed for the fine gold grains until there's no remnant of Montaigne's humanism, but I wrote down more in one day than I had in a week. A lot of it will have to be cut, reworded, reworked and deleted, but dammit if it didn't get my creative juices flowing to just riff off another's work.

dick move

That is the list of 'controversial' things I do literary wise that I was hoping others would admit to.

I often make grammar and punctual mistakes but still consider myself rather bright.

Link?

>punctuation mistakes
zorry~~~

Plato is quite boring.

do it

good on you my man

I didn't start with the greeks.
I buy translations of englis books often because they are cheaper.
I don't care about Russian authors.

I listen to the audiobook version when possible

I buy books faster than i read them

I have 230 books out from the library right now and a personal library of 600~ and I haven't read 95% of either.

>230 books out from the library

How is that possible? Do you actually just steal them?

It's a university library and for some reason there are no limits. There aren't even limits on renewals so I just keep renewing them. I made a fort out of them.

same, more or less