Apartment gardening

>Apartment gardening
>What do you grow?
This works fine for me, wish I had something else I could try but this is it for now
I've tried garlic, but they all died due to neglect
Should I move these outside?

I mostly keep scallions and garlic by my windowsill. It started off as a means of making the onions last longer without drying up, it's awesome to have a steady supply of greens. Wanna get into keeping herbs as well, hoping to save up some cash for a basic hydroponic system.

Honestly OP try to swap put the water in those containers every two days. It really does help.

>Should I move these outside?
yes, and into soil

Have you got a balcony?
You might have room for a vertical planter

nice rain boots faggot

They're cute as fuck nigga fight me

you're right they are pretty cute, I'm kinda jealous now

Hey that's pretty cool. Made from an old pallet right? Got some instructions on how to rig one of those up?

If you want more look online for a community garden. In my area its local churches who offer plots like a 4 by 8 for the season and it's only 20$.

And no you don't have to be a member of the church or anything. I'm an atheist. They just allow people on their property to garden. The only rule is you must maintain it and not let it go to shit.

I was actually looking into something like this

I have a huge balcony and there's plenty of sun out there

If you can get hold of an untreated pallet then basically all you gotta do is pack it with soil
either leave it horizontal while your roots grow in or seal it up with garden tarp so you can stand it up right away without the soil falling out

If you can only get treated pallets then knock a few boards out and use it as a shelf for normal planters

where do you get soil?

home depot or walmart should have it right?

Yes, basically any department or hardware store should have a gardening section

This time of year your grocery store might even have a bunch of soil out front.

Nice. How do I tell an untreated pallet from a treated one? A chemical smell? I used to work in a Best Buy warehouse and we would throw these things out by the dozens every month, I could easily drive around back there late at night and nab a few, I seriously doubt any of my former coworkers would give a shit. Granter they're likely to be fucked up, it's often nothing a few nails can't fix. I guess corporate figured it was easier or cheaper to just pay someone to pick them up and haul them off to a recycling place a few times a month.

If it's painted or has an odd color to it at all then it's treated.

If it's raw wood as near as you can tell then it's probably also treated, but there's a small chance it isn't. Ideally the shop you're getting them from makes it a point to use untreated and you can just ask them, otherwise you're going to have to figure out whether there's some sort of stamp or mark that's standard in your area.

Example of a possible pallet marking
In this particular standard HT (heat treated) is the only safe one to use

I'm rocking some basil and oregano and rosemary right now as well as also growing bamboo for no good reason.

I don't even own a panda.

Anyone do hydroponic indoor?

I grow outdoor
>Florida
I can grow all year basically anything. Although I do have some indoor plants that are just for decoration and not for cooking purposes.

They look pretty though.

I've grown "tomatoes" before. What's your question about it. It's definitely definitely something you need to research before you do. It requires a lot of water, a drainage system etc.

But there are a ton of guides available, online for free.

Additional:

Growing indoors requires buying the proper lighting and after you add electricity it adds to the bill.

>move the plants outside during the day

>Move your hydro system outside

Junior, back to the kids table.

Thanks, this is pretty useful. I don't recall looking too closely at markings like those on the pallets, but during most of my time at that job I was mainly concerned with getting TVs out to people's cars or unloading truckloads of product as quickly as I could so I could go home before 3AM.

I was thinking about transferring some cuttings from some parsley/basil and maybe a tomato and lettuce from the garden and doing deep water cultures in recycled coffee containers

I was thinking about maybe fabricating some sort of cart that I could put lights on and wheel infront of a window for some natural light

thoughts?

Ill never understand why people are afraid to put these in soil. Why just water? They get slimy and gross and you havebto change the water all the time. Just throw them in a pot with soil and water every few days.

Not everyone has pots and soil on hand breh

Those are things you have to deliberately go out and buy, while throwing scrap roots in a cup of water is something everyone can do

Everything I try to grow DIES!

How the fuck do you get a pallet to your balcony if you're on the 10th floor?

Pick it up and carry it? They're not heavy, and they're smaller than any other furniture you'd bring up otherwise.

By not being a pussy and carrying it

Thanks

I'm going to go and find a set, this experience shows that I really should keep them in plastic for convenience

About to hit up gardening section and get a few pots with some soil to add

If this works out, I might even try the pallet method I have a ton of space

I'm just lazy to go outside

What kind of indoor plants do you have, I've been looking to get some.