Is this a good beginner knife? I don't have much experience in the kitchen, just starting to cook for me and my wife

Is this a good beginner knife? I don't have much experience in the kitchen, just starting to cook for me and my wife

Other urls found in this thread:

wusthof.com/products/ikon/8-cook-s-knife
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I also don't have very much experience with kitchen knives, so i would love some input into these types of knifes and what i should buy in the future

I bought all three of the ones they had because i liked them so much, anyone have any input on these knifes?

poor quality in my experience. you'd be lucky to have them last you half a year with daily use.

It's ok. You're overthinking it though. Everyone always does. Always put more thought, money, and planning into your sharpening gear than you do into the knives. You won't truly know what knives you like/need until you're a god tier sharpener. Whatever knives you think you want now, you're probably wrong.

>he fell for the jap knife meme
return that shit and get german my boy

I really like how the handle sits in my hand because i have big hands and i'm getting used to them more and more, and i know that they are more or less over my "level" but hea i'm only mortal

>X50CrMoV15
embarrassing

And yes they are super sharp, so i don't really know how to sharpen them other then a draw-sharpener

1 year in

Still sharp. I do take care of them not bad

Feel like I should've burned $150+ on a good set but these work just fine for me

>mfw I never had a knife sharp enough to actually shave with.

Whats ck think of mercer? I like the feel over victorinox tho idk why. If theyre bad i wont get more but rhis was babbys first real knife that isnt wqlmart tier shit

>draw-sharpener

jesus christ, don't.

>draw-sharpener

Either use a whetstone, or a professional sharpener and strop.

Are draw sharpners those things with 2 opposing grindstones, where you have to pull your knife though?

I had to use one of those before, I thought I was doing it wrong because it only seemed to make things worse.

Newbies start with wusthoff classics. Professional cooks usually learned to appreciate the pros of cheap knifesets like the ÄNDLIG set from ikea and stick with that.

Fuck those knifes, the stupid tang won't let you sharpen the blade fully.

Bolster.

Tang is the bit inside the handle.

How exactly does the tang impact sharpening?

I've been pondering this German Santoku as my first proper knife.

Rate.

It doesn't. He meant bolster.

You can't draw along the full length of the blade.

German knives are great but the Santoku is a flawed design.

I haven't used that one, but judging by the pic:

-blade is too short
-handle angle is too high
-I don't care for santokus; the lack of a long narrow tip limits their usefulness.
-Well-regarded, durable brand
-German steel. Takes a lot of abuse but not as easy to sharpen. Good for a noob.

Draw what? A whetstone?

I own a Wusthof santoku, but with the classic chefs handle, instead of whatever faggotron bullshit handle that is. I own an entire block of wusthofs. While all of their knives are great, even the santokus, I would absolutely recomend their 8 inch chefs knife over any of their santokus. I would make this same recommendation for any knife manufacturer.

Most Japanese designs are flawed. They had to innovate with new shapes to make up for their poor quality steel. Now they have access to good imported stuff there's no reason for these weird shapes to exist anymore outside of tradition.
They are just inefficient.

Don't argue with my opinion. Its mine, and you won't change it. Im not about to spend that type of money for something that is flawed.
Too many people use santoku as a general purpose knife. I always thought they were for vegetables. I never liked the way I have to hold them, it's more like a chopping action rather than a slicing action. 8" is the best all around, agreed.

>Too many people use santoku as a general purpose knife.

That's exactly what they are. The name means "three virtues" or "three functions". People debate what those three things are. Some say it's "fish, meat, vegetables" but the truth is that nobody really knows. But yeah, the Santoku was meant to be a housewife's knife that could be used for most home cooking. That's in contrast to a professional cook who would use specialized knives.

I just don't like the flat blade I guess. Feels less safe in my hand.

Over time, professional sharpening will take enough of the blade off that a gap will form between the cutting board and the blade when chopping or slicing. This will cause the knife not to cut through the food completely.

Any "professional" who does not grind down the bolster to match the blade isn't worthy of the name.

It's the most common complaint with these types of knives. You are taking metal off each time you sharpen the blade. You are not taking metal off the bolster. Over time, a gap will occur.

The santoku is a "modern" knife, same as the gyuto.
It was marketed specifically at housewives who buy all of their meat and veg deboned and pre-portioned at the grocery store and have no need to break anything down.

The myriad of weird highly specialized knives exist because swords were outlawd and swordsmiths needed to pull a hard left to keep in business, and Japanese culture encourages people to get autistically specialized at a specific task.

Japan never had shit steel, they have shit ore.
The shit ore is processed into good steel with a long and arduous process.

If you are not taking metal off the bolster then you are not doing a correct job of sharpening that kind of knife. You are supposed to remove metal from the bolster to prevent that gap from occurring.

That gap problem happens to idiots using a pull-through sharpener. If someone does it properly with stones or with a wet grinder then you remove metal from the bolster too.

Nah.
Native nip steel is terrible quality.

Sorry if I'm shitting on your favorite memeknife, but there are better options without inherent design flaws.

This. Even the 'forded gorirrion timesu' steel used in swordmaking was far inferior to European steel, but because that's all there was in Japan this was never really an issue, it never went up against anything else.

I can understand if they use equipment like for it, that it would become quite the hassle to also grind down the bolster.

You're not offending me, user. I hate bolsters.

>> there are better options without inherent design flaws.
And I agree with that 100%. I wasn't trying to recommend a bolster to anyone.

I was simply pointing out that a "professional" knife sharpener should not have any problem sharpening a knife with a bolster. If a "pro" sharpened my knife and there was a gap by the bolster then I wouldn't trust that fool to sharpen my lawnmower blade, let alone a kitchen knife.

No self-respecting professional sharpener uses that shit.

They either do it Jap style with waterstones, or they use an industrial wet belt grinder. Imagine a belt sander, but with a water spray on it to keep the belt and blade cool.

With either setup it's no big deal to remove metal from the bolster. Shit goes fast with either a coarse stone or with the belt.

You talking about this badboy?

wusthof.com/products/ikon/8-cook-s-knife

Mount stupid in the wild

Great stuff

That would work. I have the classic handle with full bolster and prefer that because of the feel, but as stated there's are draw backs to the full bolster. I've owned mine for 9 years and have only needed to sharpen 5 or 6 times. I do so with wet stones and have not had an issue with the bolster. At this rate the bolster will outlive me without needing to be ground down.

Honestly, I use a Santoku shaped cheap ass knife right now and I like the shape and feel of it. Use it practically for everything and I like the wide slab of a blade.

What is the advantage of the cook's knife?

>wide slab of a blade

The Wusthof santoku is NOT a wide slab of blade. Its very thin. The chefs knife is THICC

Perhaps this will make it more clear. Width and thickness have nothing to do with each other.

Nice meme. Wusthof santokus have an exceedingly thin blade, no matter how many of them fancy charts and graphs you've got hidden up your skirt.

>Wusthof santokus have an exceedingly thin blade

I'm not challenging that. I'm pointing out that you and are talking about two totally different measurements.

is talking about the dimension I marked in red. You are talking about the 3rd dimension which doesn't appear in that photo.

This.
Also, you'll have to grind it* down if you want to chop things in the long term.
*the bolster

>german

>not Wüsthof

Are you even trying? Reddit spacing just for you.

Should I prank my dad by sharpening one of his thoroughly dull Farberware shits when he's on vacation?

No because hes liable to get hurt if hes used to dull knives and uaing them based on that
Sharpen them all and leave a nice note instead

I wanna buy this thing.

Is titanium a meme for knives?

Why would you need to sharpen your knives? They are already sharp you retard.

>Is titanium a meme for knives?

It's just a decorative coating that's only a few atoms thick. It means nothing as far as function is concerned, and will be worn off the edge in short order.

When you buy them, sure, they're sharp.

But as you use them they get dull. Then you need to sharpen them.

So no sexy knives for me after a couple of uses?

Worst yet I can end up with titanium in my food?

Learn how to use a whetstone

I have two and know how to use them, I just don't care about my knives being that ridiculously sharp.

nah. they sell tiny chainsaws for those without knife skills now. i'd suggest getting one. you have to refuel after say 3 carrots, but it's well worth it to not have to learn to use a knife.

That thing is cute.

>knife skills
I too juggle knives while cooking. It adds to the flavor.

You're talking out of your ass or else you never sharpen your blades. And i don't mean honing with a kitchen steel. I mean actually sharpening with a whetstone.

Get a whetstone, or at least a decent whetstone sharpening kit with a blade guide.

I make do with a double sided synthetic 600, 3000 grit whetstone from japan. Cost me £50. If you want better edge retention then get a 5000-8000 stone to further polish the edge. Learn the basics of how to sharpen an edge, which angle you want etc. Then practice on a shitty knife if you don't have a guide to go with the whetstone. Once you've had a good go you can move onto your actual blade. Remember to soak your whetstones for at least 20 mins beforehand. Refinish the edge as needed, some people might touch it up every week it just depends how heavy your use is.

I work in a kitchen and use a set of Sabatier knives, and sharpen them with a sabatier two-stage pull-through. They work just fine for me, for filleting chopping slicing chiffonade and anything else I need to do. The 6-piece knife set cost me less than £100, and the sharpener was £20. You don't need to spend big money for good results, it's all down to technique.

But objectively, if done right, whetstones will produce a superior edge to pullthrough, and will remove less material increasing lifespan of knife