How do I make a good cup of coffee Veeky Forums?

How do I make a good cup of coffee Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6sNwjqwio
amazon.com/Tanors-700443183734-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B00JNZ7VNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499093246&sr=8-3&keywords=pour over cone
amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dripper-Large-Ounces/dp/B00EOM5RN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499093941&sr=8-1&keywords=clever dripper
youtube.com/watch?v=Es2l4yUBY6M
youtube.com/watch?v=zoc3-Bv2PmA
youtube.com/watch?v=nTVeWBua1Uk
youtube.com/watch?v=gjNRI8hzUSI
youtube.com/watch?v=cbe7qb6uzvg
blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WTF kind of coffee maker is that?

French press with coarsely ground, quality beans.

It's just drip coffee. Same shit as the cheap Mr. Coffee machines you can buy at walmart, but it's fancy because you have to do the work yourself.

I want one, any name to this product?

looks like a mellita cone
I'd get a v60 cone, a wave, or a chemex if you're looking for a pourover cone. Melittas are not very good from my experience

actually the filename says it's a kalita. bretty good for making coffee actually.

>Melittas are not very good from my experience

Than why recommend it?

I'll just find a keurig single serve and use that

Depends on what the coffee is.

He's right it's like a drip, it works the same, except you're pouring the water. The difference though is that a drip just, well, drips the water non-stop onto the grounds. Once you know how to work the coffee, you can get more flavor out of it.

If you want the fancy looking stuff look for a V60. If you want the same thing in plastic, get a Melitta.

Can you brew coffee with a moka pot with only half of the water/coffee ground?
I want to buy one for myself but sometimes I make coffee for my dad too so it will be easier for me to get a bigger one.

all coffee tastes the same.

you throw the beans in the trash, fucking pleb
Coffee is a meme

Get fresh roasted beans.
Grind the beans just before brewing with a decent burr grinder.
Use a pour over, chemex or French press if you want to be cheap and don't mind the extra work.
If you want to use a coffee maker get some thing like a bonavita that brews at the right temp and doesn't use a hot plate.

>holds up finger

'shhhh'

Nah, not really, but the difference rarely seems worth the fuss.

No.
Without the exact amount of water and coffee the thing is sized for, the pot is unable to build enough pressure to function properly.

They're cheap enough that you could buy two pots, but you'd be better off with a french press if you want one coffee maker that do both one or two cups.

Who /pouroverfrenchpresshybridforidiots/ here?

How do you use this?

Does this only work with fast coffee?

Put filter in the top.
Put ground coffee in the filter.
Pour hot water in the top.

>>Fast coffee
I have no idea what that is. This thing takes standard ground coffee. It does not take Instant coffee.

I just got a french press. How can i utilize it to its potential?

Just get an aeropress. It's superior to any brewing method, fast, clean and quite easy to make.

Instant coffee, I've been using instant and I just ran out

I'm looking for a new setup, I don't have a coffee maker...

I think I found one though, I can't find OPs pic and that looks good but I found a french press

It's just a pourover cone that is closed on the bottom until you put it on top of a cup, so you can let it seep and get an even extraction. It's like pouring french press through a paper filter.

Here's a hip fag explaining:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6sNwjqwio

My brother bought one and used it once or twice

I hear they are hard to get used to?

>pourover cone
Thanks

I think I found it

amazon.com/Tanors-700443183734-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B00JNZ7VNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499093246&sr=8-3&keywords=pour over cone

Well, the clever isn't really pourover but immersion with a paper filter. It's sort of in between. Very easy to use though.

amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dripper-Large-Ounces/dp/B00EOM5RN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499093941&sr=8-1&keywords=clever dripper

I thought the point of being "closed on the bottom" at first was simply to avoid messy drips.

Is it really intended to be used to steep?

A burr grinder, or get fresh roasted coffee and have it ground at the shop and drink within 3 days of roasting.

Buy a french press to make more cups.

Yes. See the video I linked.

People think this is pretentious, but it's practical as fuck, and has much less shit to clean than a goddamn plastic mr. coffee or even a keurig.
You don't actually need a gooseneck kettle so long as you can pour slowly.
The paper filter means you never actually have to wash the cone, just rinse it with water.
And the glass jar underneath doesn't have to be a carafe, it can be a plain ass mug, or a travel container.

The only difference between pour over cones is the size of the hole underneath.
Large holes will drain the water out VERY fast, you need to pour very slowly and very deliberately if you want any flavor at all.
Smaller holes are much more forgiving, they're basically foolproof.

I do the latter.

hario looks like a gaping slut

are there any pros to such a big leaky hole?

Any maker where you have to tailor the grind size to the exact volume of the cup and fiddle with pouring and grind size to make sure the coffee is done exactly within a specific timeframe to get the proper extraction rate is pretentious as fuck, famalam.

>cafetiere
>fresh roasted beans
>no robusta, not ever
>coarse grind (15 on a Hario mini)
>30 second bloom
>3:30 total brew for my current coffee (light roast, never drank one before)
>make sure you leave the water to cool slightly before pouring it over the coffee

You're an idiot. Fresh roasted coffee is best after 4-7 days rest.

>Same shit as the cheap Mr. Coffee machines you can buy at walmart, but it's fancy because you have to do the work yourself.
Except Mr. Coffee machines from Walmart do not have high enough temperature, consistent water temperature, or even distribution, which is important for good coffee

the hario can take your flow at whatever speed you want and still keep up, the melitta will slow you down to its speed

Turkish.

>drinking covfefe
>2017

As somebody who has roasted their own coffee a handful of times, I completely disagree. The best a roast ever will be is still warm from the roasting.

The common misconception that a bean needs to rest for at least two days was started because of how a bean will release carbon dioxide from itself for a few days after roasting, meaning if you were to brew this bean, you would have a lot more gasses escaping during early brewing. This causes difficulties in espresso, moka, drip, and any other form of pressure based brewing. However, turkish, cowboy, french press, and pour over are ideal for dealing with this extra gas release.

For an example of this occurrence, look to pour over tutorials, the "blooming" stage of pour over is representative of release the gases.

So it increases the amount of variables you have control over.

Are there any reasons to actually want a quick extraction though?

I don't think I ever had overextracted pourover.

Finer grind sizes for more proper extraction. One of the distinct tricks of pourover is how fine you can grind your beans while still maintaining a proper flow of water to prevent overextraction.

>Buy decent coffee, either buy beans you grind in the store or just buy beans and grind them at home
>Put two teaspoons of ground coffee into reusable Keurig cup
>Put into Keurig machine, put coffee cup beneath the spout
>Press start
And you have a good cup of coffee in no time.

That makes sense.

Is there a steep learning curve to it?

Mostly trial and error, particularly in regard to different types of beans. You can go fairly fine, especially if you tweak your temperatures, but you need a good steady temp electric kettle with a gooseneck spout for even distribution. Pourover is very tricky, but once you dial in the motions it's mostly just tweaking grind size and temp until you find what works for your roasts.

>grind in the store or just buy beans and grind them at home

You can grind beans in a store?

Are you illiterate or retarded?

>pour over is the bes-

Yeah, it pretty common for grocery stories to have a coffee grinder in their coffee section along with coffee bean dispensers with their price per pound listed and sealable paper bags for the freshly ground coffee. The cashier weighs the bag on checkout and charges you accordingly. This way even if the beans are old you still know exactly when they were ground.

Any of you guys have an espresso machine at home? I make them at work and am getting addicted. But the machines are bloody expensive. Might keep an eye out for a second hand one

Question:

I just got an espresso maker for an induction stove. Is it important to let the espresso brew for some time or can I just blast the stove on full heat and have it done in a couple of minutes?

>an espresso maker for an induction stove

Espresso machines are standalone units.

I meant one of these

Those don't make espresso

Pike place keurig

Get whole beans, grind mediumly, pulsing works best if using blade grinder, pls use hearing protection even if it's just awkward hand and shoulder way, put grounds in french press, boil water and wait for it to cool to less than boiling, pour intro french press and stir, wait 3-4 minutes, press then pour into mug.

Those lack failsafes so they can explode if clogged.

That pressure release valve in full view is the failsafe.

>How do I make a good cup of coffee Veeky Forums?
You don't. You go to Starbucks and a barista will make it for you

I use a Bonavita Immersion Dripper, foo the same coffee *without* plastic contact.

Ceramic Kalita Wave

How many of you drink coffee after 1800?

Any night time coffee drinkers here or is that a meme?

I have my first cup at 2200, but I have to work until 0200 so it works for me

I tend to have a double espresso after dinner, usually around 20:00.

>double espresso

Fuck, I did this once at a business dinner

Eating at a fancy restaurant, order coffee in a TINY cup, didn't sleep the whole night

That's not a bad start. Now just get you some quality beans, maybe a touch of chicory.

(I don't remember wich one it is, sorry)

youtube.com/watch?v=Es2l4yUBY6M

youtube.com/watch?v=zoc3-Bv2PmA

youtube.com/watch?v=nTVeWBua1Uk

youtube.com/watch?v=gjNRI8hzUSI

youtube.com/watch?v=cbe7qb6uzvg

Alright, trying out grinding my own coffee for the first time today. Fourth mug with the fourth bean in two hours soon done.

you're a moron

what kind of grinder laddo?

I fell for the meme grinder, Wilfa wscg-2. Everytime I read tips for coffee noobs starting out, that one was recommended. And it was on sale here, so I got it for the equivelent of $60 instead of $80. If I feel that this grinding my own coffee-thing isn't for me then I haven't wasted too much money.

I thought the baratza encore was the meme grinder.

Are you liking it so far? What brewing method do you use?

>baratza
Jesus fuck, that's $160-$200 where I live. Does it massage your prostate while you grind? What justifies the price hike?

>so far
I can't tell yet. I'm going to find whole beans of the type of the pre-grinded coffee I've bought so far and use it as a control group, see if there is a difference that I can tell. Also find someone selling freshly roasted coffee beans.

>brewing method
Pic related, cheap and cheerfull. I suppose it is guilty for thirhty counts of atrocities against coffee.

Does coarsely really make a difference, I usually just grind until it stops making noise.

Soak the whole beans for 12 hours at least before grinding. Put 300°F water I the bottom of press. Put the strainer in the water and add the fresh bean paste to top of strainer. Submerge for 15 minutes and enjoy, user!

What's the best ratio of water to coffee grounds?

Standard brew ratio is ~2 table spoons of ground coffee for every 175ml of water

blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83

Locally roasted beans
French press
figure out grounds:water
coarse burr grind
use good water
204F, use a themometer
stir w wooden spoon
4 minutes
slowly depress plunger
very good coffee

>Melittas are not very good from my experience

How come? I get good coffee from mine, though it's the only pourover device I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it to.

just like that, use 1 table spoon coffee per 6 oz water minimum.

get on my level, you just need a sock and hot water

>not just pouring the grounds in a cup of hot water

level up m8

>not drinking your coffee staright from the civet feces
why don't you go back to starbucks and write a journal on your apple laptop about how much of a pleb you are?

>not fucking the civets over the raw berries and eating them yourself and then eating your own shit

homosexual

bump for shit coffee best coffee

Reminder that coffee not filtered through paper fucks with your cholesterol.

Stop making Trump jokes for attention.

coffee and tea are the healthiest beverages you can drink next to water.

you're missing out on both health and pleasure if you abstain from them. dumb choice desu

*if you drink a ton of it every day

To a totally negligible extent.

Buy a can of that $5.99 generic store brand stuff. Folgers or Maxwell House are okay too, I guess.
Anything but instant. Kill yourself if you drink instant. It's only good for drinking while you type your suicide note. People will see the can, they'll understand why you did it.
Cafe Bustelo or Carib or whatever vacuum sealed mexican stuff is okay too - actually, it's kind of top notch grocery store coffee kino. I occasionally buy a package myself.
Get a french press you fucking homo. No, not a drip machine. Won't make it strong enough.
Drop 2 cups in the french press.
Boil water.
Pour water in french press and stir.
Let sit for one hour or more. Maybe overnight if you really want hair on your ass.
When you're ready, press and pour.
If you want sugar and cream, put your sugar in the cup before you pour. Cream comes after.
If you use HFCS bottled creamer you're an idiot. Use either cream or half and half, or at least red labeled milk.
You're going to want your coffee to retain a dark color and heat, so don't pour too much liquid in there. A dark brown is my accepted color. Likewise, you should be able to get the bitterness behind the sweet. Think about how tobacco smells - not cigarettes, actual tobacco. That smell is how you want your coffee to taste.

What the fuck did I just read?

Please don't give people advice about coffee ever again.

I bet you get cold, bottled knock-off starbucks coffee flavored drinks. You're probably one of those people who buy cartons of pre-mixed mocha garbage. I bet you use brand named flavored coffee creamers, I bet your coffee comes out all light brown and shit.
kys.

>when amateurs think they know what they talking about

With a Keurig

I roast my own coffee, prepare using whatever I want between my press, moka, and ibrik. I contribute more information about coffee than anybody on the entirety of Veeky Forums. What you just typed out is an atrocious brewing method that you should be entirely ashamed of. It involves pre-ground, terrible quality, and terrible roast beans, too high of heat, an obscene amount of overextraction, and no appreciation for the immense varieties of flavor potential different roasts and strains can have.

To be so willing to opine on a topic you have so little knowledge of is baffling to me.

are you burnt coffee / bread guy? you sound a lot like that autist

> I contribute more information about coffee than anybody on the entirety of Veeky Forums.

Is coffee the comfiest beverage?

Most grinders let you adjust the coarseness. Try out what works for your tastebuds

Yes desu. Tea is also cosy but it doesn't give me that sense of well-being that coffee does.

Has to be a big mug though, espresso is nice but not comfy.

No, chocolate is comfiest beverage. It reminds me of my childhood, which coffee does not.