Best Hyperion tale poll

Hello Veeky Forums and /sffg/ in particular, it's time for a poll for one of the real important questions, what is the best story in Hyperion?

strawpoll.com/8brfes5

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/8brfes5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've reread Hyperion several times in different languages, and I always skip Kassad's story. It's just shit.
Priest is above all, obviously.

I guess the one about globalization (galaxization?) eroding traditional culture or the age-reversal one.

I'm fond of this one

>the one about globalization (galaxization?) eroding traditional culture
pretty much all of them are about that. you mean the consul's tale?

Yeah I think. That's the one that dealt with that theme most explicitly anyway. been a while since I've read it.

This, but only because i haven't finished it yet. I'm in the middle of the detective story right now and I'm enjoying this book immensely. Are the sequels worth reading?

this book sucks balls. the shrike is a faggot and the book is a giant tease and ends on a stupid cliffhanger. hahah no chance I'll read the seccond one hahahahaha

In which languages have you read it? I know german, italian and french. German is my worst though got to improve it.

>strawpoll.com/8brfes5
barely. it ties up the loose ends, and gives an actual glimpse into the time tombs and the galactic AI. it never reaches the heights of the priests tale again though.

I'd rank: Priest>Scholar>Poet=Consul>Detective>Soldier

And you friends?

Underrated story
>On Hebron I arrived just as the Jewish settlers were ending their long feud with the Seneschai Aluit, creatures as fragile as the world's waterless ecology. The Aluit were empathic and it was our fear and greed which killed them - that and our unbreachable alienness. But on Hebron it was not the death of the Aluit which turned my heart to stone, but my part in dooming the colonists themselves. On Old Earth they had a word for what I was-quisling.

Russian (more than a decade ago in school), then english, then english audio-play, then french
Yeah, sounds accurate, I'd bump Silenus higher

Scholar (towards the end of it it got quite emotional and i think ive actually cried some ) > priest = consul > detective > poet (hated that character though his story pretty much explains why he behaves as he does) > soldier

>tfw you will never know the templars story

The Priest's tale is the best one. I also enjoyed the Consul's tale. Detective I enjoyed the least.

>strawpoll.com/8brfes5
Voted Consul but:
In terms of Veeky Forums's official tiers it is
Best Taste: Priest, Consul
Good Taste: Scholar, Poet
Worst Taste: Detective, Soldier

I like them all though, and this deviantart pic gets me hard still.

>In terms of Veeky Forums's official tiers it is
>Best Taste: Priest, Consul
>Good Taste: Scholar, Poet
>Worst Taste: Detective, Soldier

There are no official tiers stupid.

Priest Consul and Scholar are at the top, but most people get the strongest emotional response with Scholar. Consul doesn't really have character development, so even though it deals with similar themes to Scholar, it gets demoted.

Poet is contentious. I think he's a colorful character like Bender, but even 4channers are put off by his disgusting behavior. He has an amazing rags to riches story, and fills in some historical background, but those features aren't unique to the character, and could have been tied into any of the other stories.

All I know is I cried like a girly little bitch during Scholar's tale.

This, fuck my life I had like an existential crisis after reading that.

No joke, I had to call my parents and catch up with them afterwards. Honestly, it improved our relationship.

What a dumb depiction of Shrike. Why is he suddenly a giant mantis

Sequels are great but Veeky Forums hates them because they're no longer Canterbury Tales in space. Hyperion Cantos has some of the most imaginitive world-building in all of sci-fi, the adventure through River Tethys alone makes it all worth it. Also, at some point Shrike gets bullied by superior robogirl

>even 4channers are put off by his disgusting behavior
Veeky Forums is the new centre of morality and dignity. Get with the times.

I love this bit
>For the record, here is my entire vocabulary of manageable words: fuck, shit, piss, cunt, goddamn,
motherfucker, asshole, peepee, and poopoo.
>A quick analysis will show some redundancy here. I had at my disposal eight nouns, which stood for
six things; five of the eight nouns could double as verbs. I retained one indisputable noun and a single
adjective which also could be used as a verb or expletive. My new language universe was comprised of
four monosyllables, three compound words, and two baby-talk repetitions.
>My arena of literal expression offered four avenues to the topic of elimination, two references to
human anatomy, one request for divine imprecation, one standard description of or request for coitus, and
a coital variation which was no longer an option for me since my mother was deeeased.
>All in all, it was enough

Fall of Hyperion is definitely worth it. It gives some good worldbuilding and closure. I don't know about the others, but they're of lower repute from what I hear.

while i consider the priest's tale the greatest overall, i still end up choosing the poet just because his character just has a much stronger connection to me & my passions, which i realize may not be the best, but whatever

The worst is the Brawne Lamia computer lover story, the best is Sol and Rachel's tale. That was really really depressing, but great

The Priest's tale is the greatest in terms of its impact and how well it's known. Using other standards, in terms of emotional content, would rank it 2nd or 3rd.

The meaning of best or greatest is arbitrary, and I agree some can be considered finer than the Priest.