I wanna talk about finding new books to read

I wanna talk about finding new books to read.
Aside from the obvious rec threads and jpgs, how else do you find new books?
Do you trust the synopsis on the back of the book to read it with no other knowledge?
Is word of mouth or a recommendation from a friend enough to get you to read something?

Pic mostly unrelated

Have you really never been interested in something before?

What do you mean?
Sure I pick up a book if it looks good but a lot of the time it can turn out to be garbage.
I don't want to waste my time reading bad books, there are so many and only a finite amount of time, I'd rather have a better means of finding good books than trial and error.

use your cognitive skills

I wanted a discussion but really I should have known better.

Write better threads.

You wanted a discussion? It's the easiest thing in the world to find things to add to your backlog. Don't find disappointment in anyone but yourself.

I wasn't aware that my thread writing skills were under scrutiny.

I was interested in how other people found books, get off your high horse pal.

>I wasn't aware that my thread writing skills were under scrutiny.
this is a literature board, dummy

I have about a dozen of authors at the top of my head I'd read everything from and another two dozens of books in my shelf I haven't read yet, plus about 10 dozens of classics I'd like to have read. I'm really not looking for anything new but I'll still stumble over things I find interesting through conversations, Veeky Forums, and other places.
I don't care about what's on the back of a book and I don't remember ever having seen a good book that wasn't a classic in a book store. Internet is a blessing,

Research.

So do you scrutinise every single post and thread on the board?
Also, learn to capitalise, hypocrite.

TRIGGERED

This desu

Thrift shops are definitely inundated with shite, my local place has a back room where they sort through the books and they let me in there. I get first dibs on the good stuff so I tend to find a few of the more decent ones but there's easily 100 trashy books to 1 good one.

>he doesn't spend multiple hours online every day doing research and reading reviews and excerpts so he can plan out his future purchases
>sneeringharlots.jpg

Of course I do, I just wanted to know what others on Veeky Forums preferred.

It's called rating books and getting recs from Goodreads.

I either wander book stores til I find something interesting or I visit the websites of my favorite authors to see if they're plugging a new book by some other author. Those are the only two methods by which I have ever found new books that I enjoyed. Reviews are less than worthless and word of mouth is useless when you read far more than everybody you know.

Not sure if serious, Goodreads recs are awful.

That's a good idea.
Also, try checking out an author's Wikipedia page for who inspired them and who they inspired, that should turn up some similar work that you'd enjoy.

That's not a method that yields consistent results, that's only a one-time thing. Authors usually maintain a website or blog, and some of them will regularly plug other authors on it. Not everything they plug is good, but I've found far more hits that way than reading reviews or using sites like goodreads.

That's true of course, it's a decent enough start though, especially for authors who are either dead or don't have a blog.