Where do I start with Nietzschean philosophy?

Where do I start with Nietzschean philosophy?

the pre-socratics

>le start with le greeks

avoid secondary literature
read Nietzsche's works
if you really want to get into it, read it in chronological order
if you want a gentle intro, try Beyond Good and Evil

He's actually right.

In order to understand Nietzsche, you actually have to start with the Greeks to know what he was attacking and to also recognise the *flip* he was making.

Nietzsche's critics claim he was simply doing the opposite of Greek philosophy and Nietzsche attacked Socrates extensively which is very important when understanding his philosophy.

You don't have to necessarily understand the Greeks, just basic, popular concepts like forms etc.

I was only jesting.

Would you recommend any literature?

I'll give you three routes. choose whichever suits your needs.

(1) do all that's written in (2), but reading all of the authors in its original language (minus the French and the Bible). this is the philological + philosophical path.

(2) start with Homer. read all presocratics, especially Heraclitus. then it's time for the Greek tragedies. after that, Plato. read the Bible focusing on the New Testament. read the “French moralists”, read Schopenhauer and when you finish all of this, read Nietzsche in chronological order (not only his famous books, but his other texts as well e.g. “Homer and Classical Philology”). basic philosophical path with references.

(3) just read the man.

For all of the three options, you have to read Nietzsche slowly and wisely. don't rush anything.

With Nietzsche probably

read birth of tragedy. nietzsche was a classical philologist.

What "French moralists" would you recommend?

Not that guy but I've been reading them recently.

Montaigne is the best. Also Rochefoucauld. Then La Bruyere, Chamfort, and Vauvenargues.

Also pic related. It's good reading.

Montaigne, Pascal, La Bruyère, François de La Rochefoucauld...

You write your posts like Rupi Kaur writes her poems.

I just started yesterday by reading genealogy of morals. I have no prior knowledge in philosophy so I'm reading secondary sources online to help me understand what I'm reading. It's slow, but I'm learning.

READ NIETZCSCHE IN CHRONICAL ORDER THEN READ EVOLA BECAUSE POST NIHILISM LACKS A TRANCENDENTAL ELEMENT

evola is for fucking plebs m8.

Beyond Good and Evil is too hard for beginners, I've learned this after recommending it a few times.

It's better to start with Human, All Too Human. If they are a true philosophical nature and have a good attention span, start with Untimely Mediations. If they have a short attention span and want to get to the good stuff quick, then Gay Science. All of these should be read as the first book after which you read the rest in chronological order, skipping Zarathustra until at least BGE, Gay Science, and Twilight of the Idols have all been read.

Evola seems really shitty and uncultured compared to Nietzsche. I say this having consumed nothing but the introduction of Revolt and a few articles/podcasts. I agree with his politics but he seems inferior to Nietzsche as a thinker. Too retarded with the magic stuff and the ascetic promotion.

Now I am probably a pleb compared to most around here but I think Schopenhauer is kinda an important prerequisite if you really want to enjoy Nietzsche.

Thanks, lads. Would you recommend any specific translations because I know there can be dodgy ones out there. I've heard Alexander Pope does a good translation for Homers works.

"Post-ironic start with the greeks" meme