Overrated books

Books that made you say:
"Why the fuck do people like this?"

I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

HAHAHAHAHA XDXDXDXD
SO FAHNNY 42!!! XD

This post gave me cancer. I hope you have good liability insurance.

I thought this was just awful.

YES! Thank you....

This YA trash is only popular because people were forced to read it. It's one of the 5 books they have read, and happens to be the best of those 5, so they assume it's the greatest book ever written. It was written for children...

I dont think you could class this as overrated but I see absolutely zero reason why its such a liked book by teachers

It shouldnt be a part of any curriculum, ever, unless its an example of what not to do when writing about history or writing to kids/from a kids perspective

Forgot pic

probably my least favorite to read during school. I enjoyed Milkweed, The Road, The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies, and Of Mice and Men. I was bored out of my mind when reading To Kill a Mockingbird

I think part of the problem with hitchhikers is expectations. People talk about it like it's some life changing transcendent, hilarious work when all it ever was or tried to be was sci fi parody written in the style of PG Wodehouse.

this
I like it for what it is, not its reputation.

It's fine for what it is. Plebs' opinion of it is irrelevant, letting them colour your opinion of a novel is pretty lame. Lots of good lit was written for children.

I'd say it's overrated, but it's still a neat book

TKAMB was absolute garbage. With all the good literature out there, it bothered me so much that my English teacher picked this as one of books we had to read at school.
He just seemed to pick books in which blacks are treated unfairly. We're in Ireland ffs. I'm not even sure black people exist.

Pretty decent book but Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is much better

the first in the series was fine, but after two it dropped off in quality pretty damn fast.

i agree. it was pretty boring - noir works better on film than in literature because noir is noir because of the visuals

Brave New World

Public school is propaganda wherever you go

Never read it, what can you tell me about it you didnt like?

Harry Potter, Fifty Shades of Grey, My Struggle, Joy Luck Club, The God Delusion, Atlas Shrugged, and so on.
It pains me to remember more and relive the hate

Complete Works of Plato
Complete Works of Aristotle
Iliad
Odyssey

He's a shitposter.

A lot of people also tend to forget about the other four books.

Hitchhiker's Guide is just a small piece of the trilogy in five parts. The whole series is, in my opinion, best treated and approached as a single work. I would definitely say that it's an extremely significant and moving piece of literature when considered form that angle.

I have the series bound in one book, and I've read the thing cover-to-cover probably fifteen times by now. I always take away something new from it.

It's fairly well written and has a good plot
The reason people say they don't like it is because it's often overrated by people who haven't read it (ie normies/redditors)

The whole series is not best approached that way because he did not have 5 books in mind when he wrote the first one. The drop off in creativity from book to book is astounding

You know what I'm going to say, please don't make me say it.

This

THISSSSSS

l'upvotes

Pretty spicy considering Hitchhiker's Guide is basically the gold standard of redditcore novels.

Why is reddit a derogatory term; is it because most litfags are turtleneck wearing basement dwelling wine drinkers who have delusions of grandeur and don't want to associate with normal people? I think yes.

you got it mixed up dude.

any vonnegut, ender's game, and hitchhiker are the reddit meme trio.

Try to limit your posts to three words. You'd embarrass yourself less.

Wtf am I missing besides
> you have to learn your own lessons

/plebbit/ is hated everywhere on Veeky Forums

>fire of my loins

them's fighting words bwoi

I remember being angry when I finished this book. At least it was short.

litfags like being pretentiously angry when finishing any book, after downing a glass of wine in their turtleneck and calling everyone who doesn't agree with them a redditor. then walking upstairs to kiss mom on the cheek before bedtime.

Why are all the greats or lit core books depressing as fuck?

Someone recommend books that make you feel warm and full of hope.

There is a reason why young Adolf wasn't able to get into art school.

You don't need to defend reddit dude. Reddit will be fine without you.

It was run by Jews?

Well, don't worry. It's being written out of the curriculum because it features a strong, intelligent white man defending a black man. In today's day and age, our schools only teach literature about strong black women who take care of themselves.

>The drop off in creativity from book to book is astounding

How so?

Exactly

>It's fairly well written
>Huxley

>It was written for children...

it is a very common sentiment I have heard time and time again, which I agree with. They just get worse and worse... it's terrifying and frustrating. Even the young reader who will inevitably appreciate this book most should be able to notice

"Veeky Forums" is not one person.

The Hobbit, Don Quijote (maybe), the greeks, crime and punishment. Those are some book that gave me hope for humanity

it was a god damn radio program. it was never intended to be a book from the beginning. the radio program is very funny. that's it.

The only book i've dropped besides The Trial; but at least Kafka is an interesting character. Lee's prose triggered my autism so hard i literally dropped it when "Dill" is introduced. What's the moral i oughta get from the plot?

A great primer on the ascetic lifestyle, and as all great books do, Siddhartha, in many ways, gets you seeing life differently. Just to pick a few moments that I remember: the way his son treated him, the way he (Siddartha) had stood in front of his father before him years before, or his descension into a life of business and pleasure with that hottie, and how he climbed out of that...

With moments like these, and many more, that's all you got? Hell, I wouldn't even say Siddartha is in my top 30 books and I liked it.

That's a cute quote and all but a book can explicitly offer more service to a child than an adult and vice versa. There are childrens books that do their job better than adult books tho.

>Translation

I know lit doesn't like this but I still need to say that it's trash.

I hate all books to be honest. They are all stupid and not worth anybody's time. They make covers like the one in OP's to appear as "WOAH!" like this is some kind of cultural changing masterpiece but honestly this speaks to every fucking piece of literature. Its all one big dick measuring contest.

...lol

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse and that poetry comp by Harold Bloom

the bible

I like it.

Nice meme

Jesus, this was a chore.

Fuck. I don't like to hear that.

Did you enjoy The Secret History? I did and was rather looking forward to reading the Goldfinch soon.

That woman's writing style on To Klll a Mockingbird was just painful. I don't even know how to describe it accurately. I feel like the visual comparison is instead of seeing this beautiful nature scenery or something dark and grim, she just opts for those old films from the 20's that are all grainy and yellowed. Furthermore, it's set to like 0.25X speed.

I feel like the only reason it's 'popular' is because school districts push it because they can push anti-racism on you and okay creepy neighbors standing in your house looking at your 7 year old daughter.

What a horrible book.

That book was kind of odd to me. In some ways I liked how it was written, but it passively pissed me off reading it. The main character was just such a simple-minded idiot.

It wasn't even like he was a victim of circumstances in some tragedy like Turin or Kullervo.

I'm sorry. It was just so boring.

Full pleb. It's literally the birth of the novel.

Like it's fine if you didn't personally enjoy reading it that much, I get that, but to disregard its influence and relevance is pretty dumb

Nothing much. It's a minor work.

The Hawks movie based on it is p good though

I absolutely loved the Secret History. Which made the Goldfinch even more disappointing. Honestly, there's a good book in there if she had a harsher editor, but it's very, very purple and digressive.

no, he just had no artistic talent. Look at this shit

Jake & Dinos Chapman improved some of them

My history teacher in high school hated this book for how it insists on making you feel bad for the rich German kid, especially at the end, whilst hundreds of Jewish kids are being gassed in the end you're left worrying about the German kid

Hated as a kid still hate it now

You read the road in school?

It's not noir, it's hard boiled.

I hurt myself with all the eye-rolling I did.

2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 4

Tbh

this

That quote made me cringe. The point is that Young Adult novels can never offer as much as big boy books and the only people who say otherwise either write children's books, or read them exclusively.

Literally: don't be racist and be yourself

harry potter
i guess you had to be into it as a kid

You're the type of person who inadvertently reads a children's book and decides that because he liked it, it can't have been a children's book.

See Tom Sawyer, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson.

>soma is the blue-pill

those are all childrens books

Worse how?

That's exactly what he said senpai

Yes, and to pretend otherwise would be just that: pretending. Nobody is saying it can't be good, just that it can't be compared with something done just as well, but for adults.

When I read it, I quite liked the humor, but it got increasingly boring, and when I picked up the next book I couldn't read it. But that was when I was 11 or 12. I have no real perspective, but I'd say it's still an above average book. I probably couldn't read it today.
of course it's the one with the anime pic

The protagonist was a pretentious prick
The romantic arc was unjustifiably cringe
The Mcguffin was unoriginal
The twist was stupid
The preface was nothing but an atheist austistically screeching
The ending was the most 90's Disney TV movie level bullcrap I've ever read in a best selling novel

People that roll their eyes at ancient works don't get it

the school looked for degenerate artists, not realists