If I learn to read Spanish can I read Portuguese too? If I learn to read Portuguese can I read Spanish too?

If I learn to read Spanish can I read Portuguese too? If I learn to read Portuguese can I read Spanish too?

Nigga start with latin, then branch into all the romances

I lived in spain for 3 years as a child, long enough to be able to understand Spanish, even if I wasn't fluent in it. We took a trip to Portugal, and I never had a problem understanding what was said. So while it won't make you a scholar of the tongue, Spanish will allow you to at least divine the meaning of Portuguese.

>if i learn one language can i learn to read another language as well?

are you like
retarded
or something?

>learn english
>can also read american

>learn american
>can also read floridian

who else /enlightened/ here

Are you? He's asking if he needs to learn both to understand both given the very close relationship between the two. The answer is generally no, they are quite mutually intelligible with just a little interpretation required. My friend is Brazilian and the only issue he ever had in Spanish class was asking to go to the bathroom - we had to ask in Spanish, and "Puedo ir al baƱo" is more similar to "Can I take a bath" in Portuguese.

>learn english
>still can't understand scottish english

No. There are pretty important grammar differences between them.
t. native spanish speaker

>He's asking if he needs to learn both to understand both given the very close relationship between the two.

no you mong he's asking if learning portuguese will allow him to read spanish

the answer is no

im glad your friend Raimundo was able to learn enough spanish to ask where the bathroom is in a spanish-for-dummies course, but we're talking actual fluency and comprehension of a language that allows a person to enjoy a specific language's literature, not just a "List of 100 Most Popular Spanish Words"

For native speakers, I'd say maybe. We can defintely understand a lot, but very often we'd come across vocabulary diferences.

Words that have the same root and a diferent meaning are the worst in that regard (and those languages have a lot of it).

But with some effort, you can do it. My friend has read Borges' works in spanish even though he never had spanish classes.

Not really, but if you learn one, learning the other will be easy.

>no you mong he's asking if learning portuguese will allow him to read spanish
But that's what I said rephrased as a positive, spic. My story wasn't to demonstrate anything specific about the relationship between the languages, it's just an amusing anecdote. My friend can easily read and understand Spanish at a functional level without having had to learn it specifically. You should swallow your pride if you really think your dialect is distinct enough to prevent anyone but a complete brainlet from working it out on their own.

No, but my understanding is there are a few minor things you can learn which will allow you to read it.

I'm learning German and I can read small bits of Norwegian and Dutch (Danish and Swedish are much harder.)

But it requires speaking it, not just reading it.

You might be able to read at a 1st grade level, sure.

Not if you're not a native. You won't be able to discern false cognates and your understanding will be mangled. It is possible if your fluency is very high.

If you're set on it, learn Portuguese. It's more complex, so Spanish will be easier.

Portuguese, Spanish and Italian are pretty much interintelligible, meaning that if you learn one (very well) you will be able to understand the other two.

You will be able to converse with people who speak the other two languages (although sometimes you will need to ask to repeat using different words)

You will be able to understand what a written text is about. But only the gist of it. You will miss all the subtleties and the shades of meaning. In other words, don't think you will be enjoying literature.

As brazilian, i can't understand italian at all. Some words may be, but is intelligible.Spanish is easier, but i had basic spanish in school.

however it's a lot more easy to read than to listen to

Yes.

I am Brazilian, have never had a single Spanish class in my whole life, and can read Cervantes, Calderon, Lope de Vega, Gongora and Borges with nothing but a very small and cheap dictionary to help me occasionally. I went throught the 1000+ of D. Quijote in seven days...

>I went throught the 1000+ of D. Quijote in seven days...

That's not impressive, Ronaldinho

Will learning spanish/portuguese lower my IQ?
I'm worried, because they seem like languages spoken by peasants

Italian can be understood with a little work.

I myself have read a chapter from Calvino the other day and understood almost all of it. I feel like I could probably read the novel and understand enough of it to enjoy it... Never had Italian classes, and my only contact with the language comes from the ocasional Fellini movie...

Also, the larger your Portuguese vocabulary, the easier to understand Spanish and Italian. Most Brazilians won't know what 'perro' means when they first find this word in a Spanish texts, but those who have a good vocabulary most certainly will, since the word was also commonly used in Portuguese until the 19th century.

I am referring to the fact that I understood the language so easily that I didn't have to read it slowly.

The novel itself is extremely easy to read, so I agree with you.

Fun fact: Ronaldo is not at all a very common name in Portuguese, and the fact that our three best football players of the century have this name is nothing but a very bizarre coincidence.

This is a lie, OP. If not even Spaniards can understand spoken Portuguese I doubt some bloke with 3 years of Spanish under his belt can understand Portuguese "without a problem", lol.

>Fun fact: Ronaldo is not at all a very common name in Portuguese, and the fact that our three best football players of the century have this name is nothing but a very bizarre coincidence.
Yeah Ronaldo is a way more common name in Pakistan

Cristiano Ronaldo is named after Ronald Reagan lol true story. Probably because there is a lot of influence in Madeira from immigrants who went to USA.

To the OP question: I'm Portuguese and I can understand basic Spanish if people talk slowly. People with thick accents or quick speakers are more difficult to understand. Generally, Spanish people are interviewed on Portuguese television and there is no need for subtitles, and the interviewer usually talks portuguese. Italian is another story, personally, I don't understand almost anything from it.

>Not learning Basque in an increasingly globalized world like a true patrician.
>ISHYGDDT

Well, for a native speaker it may be true. It is to me and several, if not dozens, of people i know.

>learn German
>still cant understand the Swiss

Swiss radio is an endless source of comedy though.

Portuguese is a Germanic language with some romance influence. Spanish is a romance language with some Germanic influence.

>is Swiss
>still can't understand them
I'm in the French part but still

this

There's some overlap, but not much. If you want to read Portuguese, you'll have to do some studying.

OP, this is why you are never supposed to ask Veeky Forums about languages. Most people here barely read. What makes you think that they will bother to learn a language? Nonetheless, I'll answer your question.

I'm Portuguese and I, and most Portuguese, can understand written and spoken Spanish, while the opposite is not true. Most Spaniards can only read or understand Brazilian Portuguese since both share the common linguistic rhythm that most romance languages have (exceptions being Romanian, Portuguese and some French and Italian dialects). Phonetically speaking both languages are far different from each other, but in terms of vocabulary they're quite similar. Although I must confess that I doubt you would be able to read Portuguese literature beyond basic school level (7th to 9th grade level). The same also applies if you learn Portuguese and try to understand Spanish without studying it. I had Spanish in high school and I found difficult to READ and UNDERSTAND (something must people ITT seem to forget is the following: of what use does reading literature but not understanding it is to all of you?) books like "The Hounds of the Baskervilles" - books that I would read without any effort in English.

Despite me being Portuguese, I would advise you to learn Spanish for the following reasons:

-It's easier.
-It can serve as an introductory language to every other Romance language.
-It has more literature.
-It's the closest language to Italian and it will allow you to somewhat understand the language.
-Supposing you're American you'll probably need it in your day-to-day life.

read some stuff like the Broons or Oor Wullie, which are newspaper comics written in Scots.

If you struggle to understand what they're saying say it out loud in the manner of Grounds keeper Willie from The Simpsons

>-Supposing you're American you'll probably need it in your day-to-day life.
Wrong. We elected Trump specifically so we would remain monolingual

>Portuguese is a Germanic language

>Learn English.
>Can't speak American.

American English is literal nigger ebonics. Every fucking Ameritard I see on Facebook and in online communities types like they just got hit over the head.

>y'all.
>y'all.

Isn't basque euzquera?