Hey, Veeky Forums

hey, Veeky Forums

I've never made stew before. here's to just winging it/

meat

Seasoned

Looks like a pretty good set of ingredients. I recommend putting in some red wine.

what did you season it with?

Don't forget. Some things are best pan fried before adding to the stew -other ingredients should just be plopped in there. Try to use ingredients with similar cooking time or prepare to time many different things and adding things over time. Also. Try to stick to two herbs -definitely not more than three unless yoiu know exactly what you are doing.

Just salt and pepper
I forgot the red wine

>fungus

Browned and put in a separate container

This.
Brown the meat and veggies and get a nice fond going. Then deglaze that shit.

looking good op, beef?

Is this too much?

Angus beef the tag said

Shit. Forgot pic

naw, shit'll shrink down
You could've cut them up a bit smaller though

What liquid are you using for the stew?

Four little onions quartered and a whole-ish head od garlic peeled and the bottom removed

Is this too much garlic?

yes, use like 6 cloves

>What liquid are you using for the stew?
water I guess.

Forgot pic

unless you really love garlic, yes

Good luck with that, you might end up with a water soup if your not careful

A good stew/soup usually depnds on the base it's cooked in

it's pretty hard to fuck up a stew op
but I have a feeling you're going to end up with soup

Just let the heat delayed the onions and give the 6 cloves a light browning. I'll put this ontop the resting mushrooms

Some beef or veggie stock would be better imo. Water might just leech the taste from everything.
That's entirely too much garlic for one stew. I'd do what one of the other anons said and use about 6. I mean if you really like garlic then be my guest but it's a strong flavor.

use stock

I've got some stock powder and a jar of fire roasted tomatoes

I'll just do a quick thick broth I suppose. I didn't know about the base

abandon thread

I second this, use stock for a tastier stew.
Why not chop your onions up smaller? Won't they be awfully chunky in your stew

Some juices from the meat and mushrooms

We're making stock

oh well

You're making broth, stock is made when long simmering with bones to extract all there delicious flavor.

Not trying to be a dick, I just know alot about cooking

oh, wow

it tastes pretty good

okay

Looks like you got a good set of ingredients, as long as you don't burn it or seriously fuck it up, should come out good

so wheres your roux

How do they make vegetable stock??? I keep looking, but my butcher won't sell me vegetable bones... please help

the butcher only deals with animals not vegetables of course he can't sell you any vegetable bones.
try the farmers market

Be honest, no it doesn't.

the taste should be fine, it's the consistency thats fucked

chopped

I should make some

They dont

Do you have a big pot to combine it all and just let it simmer for a while?

Anyone else here /ChoppedAPotatoAThousandTimesAndStillThinkToMyself"SomehowI'mDoingThisWrong"/?

yes. I do.

also, I don't know what a roux is.

Nah, I'm making this stew entirely in the skillet

this desu

threw everything in the pot

it fits.

taste it as it cooks it will take more salt than you think it will

Looks under seasoned. Also switch too red potatoes and leave the skin on.

Pee in it

I agree with this user. Slowly add salt and taste it, it'll go from tasting like water to a real stew quickly.

you're not lying are you?

now I wait for it.

how do y'all like Annie? I honestly love her.

>children

no, not lying. taste taste taste. salt when needed. you will notice the richer flavor developing

A stew is hella dense, it needs a lot of salt. Everything needs more salt than you expect. Notice how whenever a chef says
>and a pinch of salt
and they add a Fuck ton of salt? Yeah

pistachio, mint choc chip or sherbert

Shut up. Ice cream like that is consumed exclusively by boylovers. Kill yourself, you sick fuck.

what about C&C

Yeah, you sound like the kind of person that craves shota peen. Coward.

Op, heres some tips for braises/stews:
- salt your meat early ( season all my meat when I come back from the butcher/market, even if I'm not cooking it for a few days)
- choose a fattier cut pork loin is lean go with a pork shoulder next time.
- flour your meat before searing. It ensures a dry surface for browning, creates a better crust and more sucs (sticky bits in your pan is flavor), creates a thickener for your finished sauce and smells great while cooking.
- Use stock (homemade) but water is better than store bought stocks though, just choose a very small pot to cook in and use a ton of aromatics. Look at braising in milk for pork (old italian recipe)
- season as you go you want it to be underseasoned to begin with as the braise will evaporate and become more intense as it cooks, you can always add but fixing a salty stew is near impossible. Bland starches (rice/potato) can help fix it but it's better to not fall in that pit.

oh shit, nibba

how do you feel about this

You overcrowded it

they are correct, do season it but don't overdo it. Go easy until about 45 minutes into cooking and taste. Also don't just season with salt. Fish sauce and honey is great in stews/braises. You don't want to taste fish sauce or honey in your dish but you want it to deepen and enhance your broth/sauce.

and done

this episode was brought to you by the Mommy Cinematic Universe

Fat and flour.

that was delicious. very hearty.

now back to Annie posting on /mu/

i keked

looks like you ended up with a tasty stew and some good advice for next time along the way

>good thread boys

goodnight

Water is better than store bought stock? What's your rationale?

He's autistic.

Have you tasted store bought stock? It tastes like salty dishwater that gets concentrated. Plus braises and stews have this magical ability of producing a broth while cooking low and slow, you just have to know how to cook to coax out the flavors.

I tried using a store bought veggie stock a while ago, it just tasted like salty water that someone put a bit of tomato juice into. If you aren't making your own stock, a cheap but drinkable beer is a better substitute.

depends on the water quality, but that said, the locations those factories are don't usually have top tier piping in their area either.
I could go on and on about the different tastes and smells water gains without even having to touch on the actual conditions of the factories and how well their minimum wage sanitation crews do their job.

that entirely aside, i'd rather use bouillon cubes than pre-made liquid stock any day, it's far more convenient and tastes a shit tonne better than that powdered crap

>a cheap but drinkable beer is a better substitute.
That's good with beef but you have to counter the bitterness from hops, I agree and have used it.
I've also used pureed tomato, milk (mentioned before) and ciders (works great with pork shoulder) and coconut milk.
Water, you have to treat like a stock. Dice your aromatics slightly smaller and strain and refresh if you're still not getting flavor you want, Use tons of veg, add your dried herbs to your sweating onions/leeks/carrots, add tomato paste after your aromatics reach the desired color...There are many ways to build flavor with just using water. It IS the universal solvent. But homemade stock is best.

should have taken the stems off the small button mushrooms senpai.

some leftovers for breakfast

Those things are cute. I wish I could have a pet one.