/out/ Challenges Veeky Forums

If all you had to cook with was rice, flour, avocado oil, baking soda, powdered milk and instant coffee, as well as what could be sourced locally (typically trout, various salad greens, mushrooms and cat-tails), and a single, single-serve packet for that meal, what could you make in a single 16oz saucepan?

So far, I've come up with smoked trout over rice with soy sauce / lemon pepper, and trout and cat-tail soup with a veggie boullion cube.

Outdo me.

Miner's lettuce and/or dandelion greens with cattail stalks and berries, with avocado oil and a vinegar packet for dressing.

Wild berry cobbler.

My dinner tonight was somewhat similar oddly enough. Grilled trout over rice with a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil. Spicy dandelion green salad.

Where do you live? I'm American and don't know anyone else that eats dandelion.

20 raw oysters on the half shell

>cattail stalks

wtf are you going to do with those?

Also most mountain regions are teaming with assorted berries.

Why raw? Also, this is a freshwater trip, but I think I'll look up some crawdad recipes now that you've got me thinking about shellfish. Thanks!

hippies eat them, they are high in vitamin C

Lower stalks taste kind of like cucumber, roots are like tiny potatoes. I've even heard that you can use the pollen as flour, but fuck taking the time to harvest enough of that shit to do anything useful with.

dandelion root tea is pretty goat

I'd totally forgotten about that... I might (but probably won't) stop carrying coffee.

Roast squirrel and mashed cattail root with mushroom gravy (picture wire instead of a packet).

>pollen as flour

You do know wheat grows wild just about everywhere.

Having dehusked and stone-ground flour by hand myself, I can tell you that it's not worth doing.

Anythings worth doing if you are starving

Could cat-tail roots be cooked up like fries?

Fish and (experimental) cat-tail chips with a dandelion berry salad with breaded and fried morels.

It's still easier to boil wheat than it is to grind it.

Hmm... I guess I'm gonna try to make cat-tail fries, then. I mean, it would be a horrible waste of oil on a long-hike, but fuck it, I'm going car-camping next week to try out all these recipes.

Clean, descale, and filet the trout. Mix flour, salt, and any dry seasonings available. You could even consider putting a little instant coffee in there just to see what it tastes like. Mix up the powdered milk and dip the trout in it, then toss them in the flour mixture. Pan fry them in a liberal amount of avocado oil. Serve with a sauteed greens and mushroom salad.

Save the head and fins for making fish broth after you're done.

I like this... a lot, but there's one problem: I don't carry a frying pan on long-hikes. Do you think this would work if it was baked with oil in aluminum foil, or would the batter just stick?

I honestly have no idea, only one way to find out I guess!

I'll give it a shot next week then. Seems like an awesome way to end the trip.

If you can manage to get any eggs during the trip, I'd definitely recommend mixing one in with your powdered milk. That'll hold the batter together much better, but from my experience with /out/ stuff it seems pretty unlikely that you'd be able to get any. Good luck, hope you have a nice time.

>cattail, the wild supermarket

Well, there's always trout roe, but I don't know how that'd work. I think most small birds lay eggs seasonally, but I'll look into it.

>avocado oil
Kek

too bitter for most people

I don't know about trout roe, might not be similar enough to a bird's egg to really do the trick.

I live in Colorado. Supposedly good for the liver. I could use the help. It's kinda bitter though. I eat it with the rice. Young dandelion leaves are better than the older ones. They get tougher and bitter as they get old.

Don't kek it 'till you try it.

It's hard to find enough of the little young leaves to make a good salad, but if you have a thicker or stronger dressing (chunky bleu works really well) and you mix it well to cover the leaves well, you can mask the bitterness pretty well.

As I binder, I think it would actually work, because you just need the protein and emulsified fats, but the flavor might taste pretty off. I'm going to look for alternatives or maybe just carry a couple farm-fresh eggs so I don't have to worry about refrigeration.

cat-tail root, dandelion, lemon, a pepper corn, and salt in saucepan with water, set in low-heat coals before fishing
catch fish
return to camp, remove vegetables from the sauce pot, place the pot on a warmer spot and add more cat tail to cook tender
clean, scale, fillet the fish white the cat tail cooks
remove cat tail and set aside
put the pot back on a low heat spot, add bones and head to sauce pot and continue cooking for as long as it takes for you to gather some more wood if you didn't the day before, maybe find some cairns to kick over
add the fillets to the sauce pot and poach until cooked through, remove meat from the pot and set aside
strain the liquid into another container and discard the solids, clean out the pot
add a mixture of 1/2 weight flour and 1/2 weight oil and stir on medium heat until it is smooth and the raw flour flavor is tempered
add some ground hot pepper and slowly pour in the reserved liquid you poached in while stirring, stop adding liquid when it is the consistency you like
keep stirring, add a little more liquid as it becomes thicker than you want - once it stops thickening, adjust seasoning with more salt
dress fish with a little more lemon and pepper if you like, serve up your poached trout with fume with a salad of greens, mushrooms, and the cooked cat tail dressed with oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice

>place the pot on a warmer spot and add more cat tail (Still root? Would you use stalk for anything?)
>maybe find some cairns to kick over
top kek
>stop adding liquid when it is the consistency you like
I don't have a basis here, am I going for a sauce or a pudding consistency?
>poached trout with fume
Fumé? Isn't everything boiled?

Thanks, I'd like to try it, but I'm not comprehending the instructions very well.

>first time trying dandelion leaves
>don't know that older ones get more bitter
>try first bite after cooking what must've been dandelion that was around with the dinosaurs
>most bitter thing i've ever eaten
>don't want to waste food
>boil and rinse it 5 times
>can finally eat one bite without instinctively getting awful bitter thing out of mouth but just that one bite
>give up
>lie down on kitchen floor

You can do some risotto. toast the rice with a little of oil, then simmer with a glass of wine. then you can add whatever you want (saffron, sausage, every ingredient that combine good). then you need some boiling stock, you can use cube stock or made by yourself using discard. add boiling stock gradually until the rise is cooked, adjust sult, and it's ready to serve

Oh, one more thing I thought of. To get the batter to really stick well, you should toss it in the flour dry first, then the milk/egg/whatever you have for a wash, then back into the flour.

I'll try that, thanks! Also, it's technically cheating, but I decided that if I also bring some JiffyPop, I can reuse the foil pan to fry those fish in.

I've never used cat tail stalk. If it has a nice flavor, go for it.
>Fume
WTF speel Czech, that should've been veloute. So yeah, going for a sauce consistency. Though now that fume is mentioned, you could smoke your trout.

>you could smoke your trout.
I typically slow-cook them on a skewer over a low-burning cedar flame, freeing my pot for the rice. I haven't considered actually going flameless and just setting fresh cedar bows over coals... I'll have to try that.