How can anything cross the event horizon of a black hole if the rate of time dilation there is infinite...

How can anything cross the event horizon of a black hole if the rate of time dilation there is infinite? Wouldn't the object heading towards it travel trillions of years into the future until the black hole had evaporated from hawking radiation? It just makes no sense

The outside observer would never see it. The blackhole is still a rotating spherical mass with a surface that attracts matter like any other gravity well.

Time is relative. You could easily say that making an object fall towards the black hole makes everything else speed up. The object will still enter the event horizon, but is right to say that outside observers will never see it.

It all depends on the way that you observe it.

Singularities are funny, and the event horizon is a singularity too.

Outside of it, anything falling inside takes an infinite amount of time to do so.

Inside it, things have took a finite amount of time to get inside.

So technically, as far as the outside world is concerned nothing ever happens inside the black hole. There is no time, no space, no nothing inside.

There is in fact a diameter, delimiting the points where events just stop happening in our universe. It is called the event horizon.

Hawkin radiation not real

>You could easily say that making an object fall towards the black hole makes everything else speed up.
No you can't. You don't understand what relative means in relativity.

For example length is relative in SR, that means two observers don't have to agree on the length of an object, it doesn't mean you can just declare 1 meter is 2 meters.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of babble around the subject and not a single answer to the OP's question. I've been wondering about the same thing myself.

Let's make another simple question to elaborate: How is it possible for supermassive BH's like the one in the center of milky way to form, when none of the matter that reached the event horizon since the formation of the initial, first black hole, has had the time yet to even move inside it, let alone reach the singularity? How can there even be "a" singularity to supermassive black holes, if this is the case? Wouldn't it mean that after the formation of the BH, the event horizon creates a sort of flat flypaper surface where all matter that reaches it is stuck just on the border, which given enough matter would expand... wouldn't that mean that the structure of a supermassive black hole, instead of a singularity, would be more similar to something like tree-rings in a 3D sphere, stuck in time?

Unless the time dilation is not in fact infinite. And if it's not, then clearly inside the event horizon, GR doesn't apply even close to the way we thought.

This is borderline scifi, and I'm no expert.

A black hole is a 4D object, it extends through time.

When you cross the event horizon, time is still happening as usual for you and you start falling in to it.

Implying you don't die crushed due to massive gravity, and you have an infinite life span, you would just see yourself falling forever alongside other light and matter.

This is because the center of the black hole would always be in the future.

From the outside we just see things fall into it and never get out.

And because its 4D, its total mass (in our 3D dt) is the combined mass of everything that's ever fallen in it.

This requires at least some if the extra dimensions of string theory to be real.

No, inside the black hole time is finite, but the singularity is everywhere in the future. You fall into a blackhole, and your future becomes the singularity. There is no escape, you eventually reach it, and accelerating anywhere just shorten your time.

Inside a black hole you don't reach the singularity. You wait for it.
Neither the singularity nor anything inside the event horizon happen, from any point of wiew outside it. As far as the rest of the universe is concerned, the gravity comes from either a pre-existing spacetime deformation, or all the objects slowly approaching the event horizon.

Inside the event horizon, things do reach the singularity, but nothing exists outside the black hole, just the things that ever fell or will fall inside it.

In a non-scientific sense, black holes split time into 2 timelines:

A)The one where objects eternally travel towards the event horizon, get flattened and redshifted and slow, and

B) the one where an object crosses the horizon, and awaits its demise at the singularity.

A happens everywhere but inside the event horizon.

B happens only if you cross the event horizon.

from what I understand , light cannot escape a black hole , so what happens to all the light that went into it after the black hole completely evaporates, does it just burst out in an enormous flash?

That doesn't respond to the point. To the observer moving into the event horizon, everything far away is indeed going faster through time. To the observer moving into the event horizon, they do indeed cross it in finite time.

Not until they cross it.

Mmm, I wonder what happens to a photon going towards the event horizon, from the perspective of someone outside of it.

>A black hole is a 4D object, it extends through time.

EVERYTHING extends through time.

he means as a 4d object.
We are 3d objects moving on time.

>he means as a 4d object.

Did you arbitrarily graph time as a dimension?

And then run it through a matrix transformation?

How the fuck is it a 4D object? It's a sphere floating in space, rotating, with shit flying out of it. It's a really fucking heavy spherical 3D object.

>I'm no expert
>A black hole is a 4D object
We can tell.

A black hole as an object is only defined by curvature of spacetime, whats inside it doesn't matter at all. And the curvature of a black hole is in both space and time. Its not a stupid thing to say. If you'd have some understanding of general relativity, you could see that.

A 4d object would have time as a physical direction that is at a 90* angle to every other xyz direction. You could see and move along the t axis component, right? To protrude into that physical time dimension one of these would have to max while the others min:

1. mass/gravity
2. time/xyz space fabric
3. speed C/photon

No satisfying answer so far. I came to the conclusion that black holes are not singularities, but a dense enough (to expand event horizon), one planck length thick layers of matter.

Photons can travel in space but have no temporal freedom. Just you are crossing the horizon, the particles in your body wont be able to interact, but can still traverse space. After crossing the horizon, space and time will have flipped and you now get back that freedom, even though every available path now points into the singularity because of this flip.

There are some paradoxes and stuff involved that physicist are debating so its by no means solved.

It's curvature is as much in space and time as every other object. The only difference is that a black hole is just more curved. Saying that a black hole were somehow different under a system that describes all macroscopic matter in that same way would show that you don't have an understanding of relativity (unless you want to say that everything is a 4D object, in which case your point is meaningless).
You also ignore Hawking Radiation in your initial post, which is a mechanism where a black hole can evaporate, and subsequently not always exist in the future.

The difference is that a black hole is that curvature.

Just because every car has wheels doesn't mean you can't say wheels
are round.

I wouldn't say a planet is a 4D object, but could say its gravity well is a 4D object.

This is just logic.

>implying general theory is appropriate to describe black holes
Bruh, just stop. Black holes are literally the limit that current physical theories are able to describe successfully.
To figure out wtf happens in a black hole, you need a theory that functions at those scales.
Such a theory should encompass GR and unfortunately does not exist yet (fuck you string theory). Only when we develop it will we be able to know

I'll try to put it as simple as I can:

YOU can get inside a black hole in a finite amount of time. Everything else will take infinite time.

This is valid for all observers.
>But that doesn't make sense, every observer would disagree

Tough. Welcome to relativity, observers disagree all the time.

I understand. I simply don't like this explanation. Everything in universe works beautifully, yet black holes are explained away with "it doesn't make sense, deal with it".
Either way, I do hope this question shall be answered eventually once and for all.