Is it OK to go to a restaurant 30 minutes before closing time?

Is it OK to go to a restaurant 30 minutes before closing time?

Will it take more than 30 minutes for you to be finished?

no

if they didnt want customers coming in at that time they would close 30 minutes earlier

they should state a "stop serving" time, instead of just closing time.

30 is fine, fuck them. It's questionable if you're trying to squeeze in at 9:55 at a 10 closing.

Here at restaurants and bars they usually shut the kitchen down 1 hour before closing. So you finish your food and have a drink if you want. But then out when closing. It's a simple business model that makes this a non issue.

No

Go fuck yourself

it's fine, kitchen staff is just mostly pussies

you'll probably trigger some line cook into relapsing on heroin after he has to clean his grill and his utensils again and gets home 20 minutes later than he could have if nobody else ordered

don't feel bad about it

Never fuck with the people who handle your food.

The very latest you should go to a place is 30 min before closing, but preferabbly 45 min beforehand

I sometimes wait 10-20 minutes in front of a take away just so that I can order food right before they close.

As someone who has worked fast food and sit-down restaurants, go ahead and come right until 5 mins before close. Just don't be a shit customer.

Restaurants should tell me to fuck off and not decline service if I'm just going to piss them off. Don't take my money and then fuck with my food, you're a business and you have the right to refuse service whenever the fuck you want.

>foodservice are literally the most important people around always make sure to offer to suck them off to keep them pleased because they handle your food!

theres a pizzeria here that delivered until 9pm, i once ordered food at 8.45pm, they no longer deliver after 8.20pm

Nobody gives a shit how long they're there for; the question is when they put their order in.

The kitchen starts closing down (assuming it isn't busy) and it's a huge pain in the ass to start re-opening everything for a couple of inconsiderate shits who come in right at the end of the night, especially when the restaurant is otherwise empty.

That said, 30 minutes is what I'd consider the latest acceptable time to walk in before the posted closing time. It's assholes who walk in 15-10 minutes before close that should honestly be turned away, but FoH is going to fuck around regardless, and doesn't give a shit about the kitchen that's been earning them their tips all night.

get some work ethic little bitch or if you aren't happy doing your job find one you're happy doing

Every. Fucking. Thread.

> be me
> Like 10 years ago
> Bitch 16 year old working at taco bell
> Trailer trash family comes in at like 9:55
> Firmly remind them we close in 15
> They complain
> Get written up
> Lol steal all the shrimp from the freezer and walk out
> Get arrested for serious theft later because it turns out a 50lb box of shrimp easily worth 1000 is like felony theft

>a 50lb box of shrimp easily worth 1000

Um, no.

Order pizza for delivery 2 minutes before they close - gets delivered.

fuckem

This was in Texas they are like fucking retarded so there's your explanation buddy

I wonder if it's where I work

that's bullshit, most people want to go home nd be with their families if they have one

Nope. You're an idiot. Easy explanation.

>foh
>families

Kek, if anyone has a family to get home to it's Pablo in the dish pit, and he's going to be scrubbing floors long after the FoH have starting doing shots.

Why not. If they step in my food or cum in it or whatever, I don't mind.

>he thinks that this is funny

It's not necessarily funny, but it's true.

Sorry, I forgot that this wasn't a real industry thread.

ice cream shops yes

restaurant hell no think about the dishwasher!

>I'm about to go get laaaaid oh yaa hopefully no customer comes in
>FUUUUU

Imo, not really. Technically, you can do it, but it's borderline dickish. It's bad karma to act like a dick to people who make your food. I've only done this to get a dessert, coffee or drinks. If you're ordering a full meal, best bet is to ask if they can do it before seating you or just show up an hour before closing. Assholes can REEE at me, but I'm not as into my food getting dropped on the floor as them.

For the kitchen yeah

Yes. A restaurant's closing time is just when they stop accepting new customers. Showing up like

Ummm No, sorry sweetie. try again :)

This.

Every semi-competent restaurant will close the kitchen a half-hour to hour before close so that people can finish their meals but the boh can get their shit cleaned in a timely manner.

Yeah, because they can't act like professionals and do petty shit if you don't treat them like the sheltered babies they are.

the closing time should be when the kitchen closes

Every actually work in a restaurant?
Some do it from spite if they can and usually in a nasty way.
Some do it without discrimination.
Other do it because no fucks and don't practice proper food safe methods.

>most kitchens I've been in are worse than "waiting". This is why I never eat out.

Absolutely not.

yes, because this is a thing
it's not like everyone just runs outside when it's closing times. usually we spend about 30 minutes and up to an hour cleaning the kitchen, prepping some things for the next day and so on. So closing time is basically the time we dont take anymore order, up until that point the kitchen is cooking

I swear to god this "closing time" anxiety only exists on Veeky Forums. I worked in food service related jobs throughout high school and part of college, at no point was "closing time" mistaken for "everyone goes home" time. It just means no new customers. Actual "everyone goes home" time would typically be about an hour later.

I gather the problem here is that some people's employers think "no new customers" time means "don't pay your employees but make them work anyway" time? I've never seen that but I imagine it could happen. You should take that up with your local authorities as that's illegal.

I think at lot of places do this already, especially chains and shit, they closing time stated is just like the stop serving time you suggested

This debate is easily settled through a british custom; 'Last Orders'.
No orders are accepted past a certain time. Put it on the door if you want.
'Can I get an X?'
"No, we're past last orders."
'BUT YOU'RE OPEN YOUR CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGED TO FEED MUH CHILLUNS'
"No. We are past last orders."

Cringe

30 minutes is fine unless it's a fancy spot where it takes them 45 minutes to get you your food. 5 minutes before closing? You're a dick.

>do you still doing food?
>Sure, our kitchen is closed but we are still doing coffees and food from the front cabinet.

For real though, people sitting in till 5:30 while I'm trying to sweep is a pain.

That's why you don't start sweeping until after all the customers have left and the doors are locked.

If they don't want to serve customers past a certain time then they should close at that time. If you want to shut down the kitchen then don't leave up the Open sign you idiots.

Nah, we start sweeping at 5 and do it between other tasks serving coffee. baffles me when people want to sit in a café surrounded by chirs on tables. Also 5:30 was shut time. I'd personally just get a coffee and fuck off at that time.

phone them and ask, and if they say yes be on time and eat real quick.

son, i work in a restaurant. if you want to come in 10min. before closing time it's fine, but you'll better be on your way by the time we close. work ethics apply to closing time as well.

>Nah, we start sweeping at 5

You're doing it wrong. Stop that.

this

I work in a restaurant too. Most everyone I work with agrees with you, but I was raised to work hard so I don't really mind when someone wants to come in and pay me to do what I do

i definitely do that for dine in.

but how about 30 minutes for take out?

I picked up some food from a Zoe's Kitchen a few weeks ago ~30 minutes before close (i'd called it in 20 minutes before that) and the staff seemed really antsy that i'd done that.

Fuck yes, hell, I'll go 10 to 5 minutes before closing.

Assuming your underageb& and this happened yesterday, that box of shrimp was probably $150 max. Taco Bell ain't buying expensive shrimp. If I ordered that for my restaurant it would be $6-8/lb so $3-400

Open means open. If they want to stop serving people, close at 10 but lock the doors ar 930 so customers already inside can eat and order. Otherwise closing time is closing time. If you close at 11 that means anyone who enters the door even if it is 10:59 and 59 seconds is grandfathered in and must be served.

Cant, bosses orders