Literary tattoos

literary tattoos.

Have any of you got them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tattoos are for faggots.

Tattoos are for sexually active people

This. Literary tattoos are even worse since it's all just for show and you know for a fact they haven't even read the book and are just a product of brainwashed materialism. Does anyone else find it sad how many people need to carve out an identity for themselves to feel unique?

I originally wanted to get the infinite jest chapter symbol to remind me to work on my goals and not be sucked in by my addictions and waste my life away.

I wasn't interested in showing off my Veeky Forums knowledge

>Does anyone else find it sad how many people need to carve out an identity for themselves to feel unique?

Take a look in the mirror

meh, for women or queers

Someone post the copypasta quote about tattoos and criminality so we can say that this thread is done

Why do they trigger you so much? It's literally just decoration. It's not that far off from getting mad at people for wearing clothes.
That being said, the vast majority of tattoos look like shit because the vast majority of people have shit taste.

Nothing triggers the virtuous 4channer more than tattoos and cigarettes.

Remarkable change over the last 10 years

Cigarettes is somewhat understandable, as it's something that has a negative impact on others and the environment, not only the smoker.

because tattoos are for attention whore

>Does anyone else find it sad how many people need to carve out an identity for themselves to feel unique?

think about what you just posted.

So is your Veeky Forums virtue signalling

tattoos have went from most people who have them were in prison
to most people who have them have a instagram/tumblr/pintrest

>This Anonymous is quite the character

made irrelevant by anonymity.

Thus he is sincere or trolling, and that was not a troll post.

No, they're not necessarily. They can be, but they can also just be decoration, as I said.

this

tattoos are millennials ways to attempt to prove to the world that they are special and unique.

>made irrelevant by anonymity

Not at all

Unless you were a soldier in combat, a prostitute or a sailor on a particular ship I see no reason for a tattoo.

Virtue signalling is the way for an individual to improve his status in a social group by displaying his conformity to their norms.

I do not identify post as an individual. He may well be a bot.

I have these (1/2)

Veeky Forums virtue signalling is just jerking each other off for not participating in what 'le evil normans' do.

David Foster Wallace himself got a woman's name tattooed on his body.

Can't get any more literary than that.

>Unless you were a soldier in combat, a prostitute or a sailor on a particular ship I see no reason for a tattoo.
What reason is there for these people?
Is 'decorative purpose' not a good enough reason to put some ink on your skin?

(2/2)

Two outta three ain't bad.

You can make up whatever definition you want for the "Veeky Forums virtue signalling", but his statement is a reasonable one, and his anonymity makes any virtue signalling irrelevant.

/thread

Tattoos have long been a way to establish membership in a group - tribalism. Thus it is not edgy for a soldier to tattoo display as a member of a warrior tribe, it is frankly a human tendency throughout history. Same for the sailor.

prostitutes do it to draw attention. sorry for "virtue signalling"

>his anonymity makes any virtue signalling irrelevant
It's not irrelevant to the constitution of his own idealized self-image that is erected in this virtual community of faggots who need a perceived evil Other ('normies'), and validate each other by continuously engaging in circle jerks about the behavior of the Other.

Was he drunk off his tits and fucked up on xannies at the time?

There are many ways to establish yourself as being part of a group. Tatoos are just disgusting and lack subtlety.

theres nothing more ebarassing than a """meaningful""" tattoo

if youre goin to get one just pick some shit thats funny

That's how all communities work. Communities are defined in opposition to other communities; they are constituted by an agreement among members of what they are not.

Absolutely.

"In the early 1990s, Wallace became obsessed with the memoirist Mary Karr. Despite her statements that she was not interested, Wallace got her name tattooed on his body"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Foster_Wallace

>I'm such a book nerd xD cunt starter kit

While I mostly agree with your sentiment and find a lot of "meaningful" tattoos really tasteless and cliche, there are still some that I think are cool. An example would be how my mom got tattoos around her breast cancer scars. That being said, I can't see myself getting a tattoo that has any meaning deeper than I think it looks cool.

>that was not a troll post
you can never know that

Faggot

>tattoo

Yikes!

I don't have any but I'm thinking about getting one just to show off on Facebook. Might cost £100 but at least I'll get some likes.

A pretty standard consumer transaction really.

Stay mad, /r9k/

You can virture signal anonymously, it simply means you're trying to prove box with text in it is more morally correct than the other boxes with text in it.

have a minimalist harpoon on my left peck

>self-branding

Can someone explain to me why people mark themselves as chattel to an idea? I have never understood it

>be in the navy
>like seas
>like moby dick
>everyone on deck is getting a tat for some reason
>not be a faggot and get

Didn't see that coming?

>everyone on deck is getting a tat for some reason
>decides to behave as the other chattel are and -- get a tat
That explains it, I guess. Doesn't make it any less absurd or pathetic to me

>bonding with your brothers in arms is the same as being cattle

give me some ideas about what a nietzche/ubermensch tattoo would look like

this

noot noot

No.

>bonding
If you will the bondage, it isn't bondage but ownership.

>brothers in arms
This phrase implies self-bondage to the idea of a nation-state, and so "bondage" in the sense of mutual ownership becomes impossible because you are all besessenmensch to the idea of "My Country" or "My Nation"

>friend of friend I know is getting her third Harry Potter tattoo
>she hasn't even read the books, movies only

>have nice pale skin
>ruin it with tattos

Wow, thats pretty gay....

Truly /ourguy/

Your blood group

Christ alive, is there anything a woman does that isn't for show?

>heh, if you have friends you're just making yourself their slave!
Careful not to cut yourself on those edges user. I mean Christ, that's anime villain tier edginess.

Sup Arthur?

bamp

Came here le say this

Ok I thought about it. Now what?

I'm thinking a cool and literary tattoo would be some Gustave Doré stuff, like his illustrations for divine comedy

I got tats, sure, but they aren't literary.

he also cried himself to sleep every night and fucked 2/10 skanks and killed himself

>that one lit-user who carved a quote into his thigh

yo, nigga, went to prison, got any tattoos?

I might get an "I would prefer not to" tattoo if I get pissed enough

noot noot

I got a lot of scars, so why not cover them with tattoos?
Not a literary one, tho.
That's gay.
I'm getting a fish on my thigh. Because. I like fish.

I like faggots but I'm not going to get a tattoo of you on my thigh.

good. That'd be fucking weird.

These are very tacky.

I have a tattoo that i keep covered up. Its for me to look at and strangers would never know I have it. Its from a dylan thomas poem

Nice kanye lyrics my man

Tattoos are just so stupid.
How are you "expressing yourself" by having someone else draw someone else's words or images on your body? The only thing you're expressing to me is that you're a bloody idiot.

Please re-read your post and consider whether £100 for a temporary burst of attention and a permanent ink drawing on your body (which you may love at first but grow to dislike, or may even dislike from the get-go, depending on how good the tattoo artist is) is really worth it. Not saying you shouldn't get one if you really want - I'm not as anti-tattoo as many others are - but it should be sincerely thought through, my man.

If you get one, make it one that's worth it. Something that could be tasteful rather than something that's your current flavour of the month craving.

If you have any literary tattoos or want any literary tattoos you have to go back.

>peck
Lol. On your pecktoral or your pecker?

I don't get the foaming hatred for tattoos on here these days. I don't like them much myself but who gives a shit?

They are fashion readers. Pure Reddit.

Tattoos have become mainstream. Therefore beta Veeky Forums nerds dislike them because theyre special snowflakes

I can only speak for myself, but I think taking something that was once cool or rebellious or edgy and making it normal means it's time to leave that thing behind for people with bad taste and no integrity.

>triggered poser gets angry that Veeky Forums disregards his vacuous poser shit

>only true Proust fans will understand

suicide when

Why did they get that shit tattooed on their fingers? Just draw it in pen if you have to have an obnoxious photo like that.

I have a small tattoo on my inner arm of Lovecraft's elder sign like pic related. It's like this but it has a triangle around it. Can't be assed to find a picture of it on my PC.

not being an untermensch faggot with a tattoo

>redwall
mah nigga

>strawman
That's not what I said. Maybe try reading again?

They're not actually your friends unless you will their company, and they yours. If you are "friends" through the virtue of an idea, you're not actually friends. You are friends with the idea of a soldier, and look for the "brother in arms" in every person who is or is not a soldier.

Enjoy not having a meaningful relationship in your entire life, besessenmensch