"You look like you buy used paperbacks"

"You look like you buy used paperbacks"
How would you ever recover if someone blew you the FUCK out in real life like this? Suicide?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fshm0J7ubxQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They'd be right.

what's wrong with used paperbacks?
do you even read the books you own?

Every book is a used book once you've read it

They're for poor retards.

>implying that and borrowing from libraries aren't the most patrician modes of consumption

This is a Carli and misc thread, btw
Wholesome meal from mommy. youtube.com/watch?v=Fshm0J7ubxQ

okay, Gatsby

I went to a used book store last thursday and I saw The Alchemist by Eco, but didn't bother to get it.

Was that a mistake, maybe it's still there?
It's probably 1-2€

"Who the fuck doesn't buy used paperbacks? Listen, you fucking idiot girl, I own 5000+ books of all ages, bindings, and types. I spend anywhere from $1 to 0ver $100 on a book if I want it, and I don't give a shit what you think about it. Now give me that giant sushi roll: it's going right up your tiny ass."

Not quite sure I understand why I'm supposed to be insulted.

I do buy used paperbacks; the value of a book is in it's contents.

I confess a sense of distain for you, OP, you're either trolling or a legit moron.

That's an onigiri

ok. ok. wow. just... ok

>someone calls him low-status
>cites his knowledge from The Great Gatsby as a retort

What kind of backwards thought glorifies consumerism of literature, the two spheres are antithetical

he was rightly implying that, like a bootlegger with an opulent lifestyle, you have nouveau riche ideas about what determines one's class

I prefer trade paperbacks. They are the best for reading.

It's the people that care about this stuff that should kill themselves t b h

>gets scabies from his 10c books
>welp at least I don't have noveau riche ideas about what determines wealthiness
that's very /rich/, user, thank you

>projecting this much

is that what you people call it?
that's good, I like keeping myself updated on how the less fortunate talk in their day-to-day lives

just out of curiosity, how do you call when somebody actually projects themselves? like, in a psychoanalytical sense?

>how the less fortunate talk
[painfully nouveau riche intensifies]
man, even poor people are still people and if your family ever owned them you'd have been taught that. read some consolation of philosophy or something and straighten yourself out.

you project your own insecurities about class and worth onto others in order to manufacture a hierarchy that reinforces your sheltered beliefs. You are projecting, in a psychoanalytical sense.

>ITT assblasted poorfag students feeding a 15 year old trololo

>even poor people are still people
>read some philosophy
ok, define "people". as in, a "person"
does "still" being "people" imply that they're being the same amount of "people" as someone who isn't stereotypically poor, or are they "still people all the same" just qualitatively speaking, but quantitatively they are being people to a lesser extent than well-off homo sapiens are being people?

upvote

>ok, define "people". as in, a "person"

really made me think. Did you read that in Play-doh?

I thought I already told you that I do attempt to maintain a common tongue with the less well-off

Yeesh, here's a pity (You)

As a writer, I understand the dislike towards people buying used books. It's preferred for consumers to buy freshly printed ones so you can get some royalties out of it.

As a consumer, used paperbacks are cheaper than new paperbacks, so fuckin' eh the used ones are sweet. I even love going to the Library! Ultimately though, I want to support my favourite authors, so once I'm a bit better off financially, I'll see what I can do.

Any other people here help contribute to the Amazon landfill that is CreateSpace? I've got two books self-published so far, and have gotten a whopping 3 sales in the past 4 months. At this rate, maybe I'll get my first pay cheque for $100 in around 8 or 9 years. Anyways, it's not about money; I write because I love to write, but if it makes me a bit of coin then it's win/win all around!

Except for trees... trees get fucked over pretty hard.

sometimes i take a rare book and borrow it from course reserves at the library

then i photocopy the pages i need

and i return it

op btfo

I am poor. Were it not for the kindness of others, I'd be squatting under some bridge right now.

Nothing wrong with a used paperback so long as there aren't pages falling out or missing. If it's the book you wanted to read, then it's fine.

Buying new paperbacks supports deforestation and impedes the progress of our digital world. Buying used gives extant books a home and they have better covers than modern books.

Is this pasta or are you actually just incredibly reddit?

>the Library
I've never heard of that library

It's not an insult, but hey, I know this thread is bait.

>even poor """"""people"""""" are still people

I don't agree.

PRISTINE

whores

what the fuck is this channel

Never been on Reddit before. Haven't been on Tumblr either.

It's pretty sweet.

I would show them my collection of unread hardbacks and laugh.

>retards.

but why?

>tfw you will never discuss literature with a girl this cute

Generally, women are not as intelligent as men. You'd be better off turning gay and trying to find a fellow Veeky Forums dude. Actually intelligent females are very rare. Personally, I don't really have many standards for how chicks look, so I'm good with nerds, but if you have any standards whatsoever then chances are you'll never find an intelligent female that will reach those standards.

I buy hardback whenever possible and pirate e-books if can't find a non-terrible paperback for under 20$

You're a faggot if you don't want a qt Japanese waifu

>The Alchemist
>Eco
uwot

Oh believe me; I'd LOVE an Asian wife. Either Japanese or Korean would be preferred. Small, obedient, mannerly, loyal, etc. I dated a Korean chick before, and also made out in College with another Korean. Their women are fucking HOT! The one I dated, she was something like 2 years older than me or so at the time, so probably in her mid-late 20s, yet I swear she could easily pass for mid-late TEENS! Once chilly night when I was walking her to her apartment after seeing a movie or going to a restaurant, I took off my jacket and gave it to her, and she hugged my arm while wear my huge jacket.

I'm 6', broad shouldered, pretty strong, and all that good stuff. She was... God... 5'4 maybe? If that? My jacket could almost be considered a small robe on her, and she seemed to love wearing it. Yeah it was chilly in just a t-shirt, but I'm Canadian, I'm quite used to the cold. I remember once I picked up a handful of snow and rubbed it between my hands simply because they had gotten dirty somehow. I was with a friend, who saw me. He was from Nigeria, and he laughed at how casually I had done it, obviously not as used to the cold as I was.

Anyways, believe me, I know the feel of wanting a woman who's not going to be decietful and batshit crazy, which is a likelihood if you go with a white, black, or Native woman. That's the majority of what's available in North America though sadly. The amount of intelligent women is probably far higher in Asia, where the focus on schooling is so incredibly high. To be fair though, I also dated a black chick who was going to University. First language was French; she was from Haiti, and she was a very kind, thoughtful, and intelligent woman, tough we didn't talk much about books. I wasn't much of a reader at the time. She also worked full-time at Tim Hortons, and I have told her quite a few times that I don't know where she got the strength to not only go to University, but also work full-time at Timmy's which I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. It's Hell working there. So fucking busy all the time.

"Let me know when you have finished that 35$ hardcover while I read my fourth 3$ paperback this week."

or

"I only read badly scanned pdfs I download from russian websites."

none of this happened.

I have no pics... well, I do have SOME pics, but I'm not going to post them. So for all intents and porpoises you're right; it never happened.

This. Always this. I never take seriously a person who doesn't utilize his local library.

How do you scan a pdf, user?

>implying binding type somehow affects reading speed
>implying your financial inability to purchase four hardcovers a week is an argument
Try not being poor.

some things i want to read are out of print and the only copies i can find are used paperbacks

so fuck you

You put your laptop or tablet in the scanner, of course.

>Implying I am implying that binding type affects reading speed while my point was that if you buy 4 35$ paperbacks a week you end up spending 140$ a week in books.
>Implying the choice of buying paperpacks follows from poverty.
Try not being stupid.

>if you buy 4 35$ paperbacks a week you end up spending 140$ a week in books
>choice of buying paperpacks doesn't follow from poverty
really made me think

>How would you ever recover if someone blew you the FUCK out in real life like this?

They just showed me that they're materialistic retards, why should I feel offended?
That said, at this point I'm pretty sure that only people from the US prefer hardcovers to paperbacks. I personally prefer paperbacks, they're simpler, easier to carry, cheaper and elegant: to me harcovers always looked tacky, I'm pretty sure that I do that because I associate them with bestsellers I always see on the first section of every book store I've ever visited, while most classics were usually unavailable in hardcover.

And to be as pragmatic as possible: I'd rather have a smaller book that fit coat pockets.

>only people from the US prefer hardcovers
>to me hardcovers always looked tacky
t. poorfag
>bestsellers are in hardcover
>classics are usually unavailable in hardcover
t. never been in a bookstore

>t. poorfag
Wich is irrelevant, since hardcovers don't enhance your experience in any possible way (if anything it is easier to have unglued pages on them).

>t. never been in a bookstore
In the bookstore I've visited in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (where I live) rarely had hardcovers for every classic you wanted.

If you don't trust me I can take a picture of a classic literature section of a local library in a few hours from now.
I mean, can you really find every Shakespear hardcover in your local library? I would be surprised if I found even one single Shakespear hardcover.

> only in the UK and in the US you have to pay 20$ for classics because most of the people in these countries are illiterate fucks who are barely able to read the YA shit their own authors write nowadays.
>In other European countries (France, Italy, Germany) classics cost 10/13 euros + original text, commentary and notes and they get reprinted with new commentary and notes every 10 years.
> user reads classics from editions printed in the 50s from scholars who translated using feets and has to pay them 20$+.
>user has moreover to buy a commentary if he wants to know anything about recent interpretations of the text and has therefore to pay another 20$ for expensive academic literature.
> user never been in a bookstore abroad nor abroad, since he has no idea what I am talking about.
> user not bilingual in 2017.

How much of a pleb are you?

>a single shop doesn't carry everything I want
Wew.
>can you really find every Shakespear hardcover in your local library
Yes, if you don't live in a bumfuck nowhere.
>hardcovers
>glued
Dear god, the poorfaggotry levels are off the charts. Just fucking stop.

>Wew.
I'm talking about literally every store I've ever been in.

>Yes, if you don't live in a bumfuck nowhere.
I live in Milan (second biggest city in Italy, certainly the most relevant one) and literally no bookstore I know of is like what I've described earlier.
I guess bookstore in the US have different catalogues (wich is completely reasonable, since every country usually relies on national, historic publishing houses).

Yeah just go back in your billionaire mansion reading loebs with translations from 70 years ago, Scrooge McDuck

I live in Europe. I'm trilingual and I build my library of hardcovers, while also borrowing from the library and reading ebooks. The fact that you think there are no hardcovers with modern translations and commentary speaks volumes about your knowledge of the subject. Try harder, patrishun.

He has no idea user, he's so rich he travels in space and has no time to visit actual foreign countries, nor enter a bookshop to check whether in other countries they have smarter ways to read.

>older translations are bad
kek

Paperback classics in english usually don't have the original texts - you need loebs editions for that. And most introductions, with the sole exception of SOME of the Oxford's World Classics, are either old or ridiculously short.
Again, check any edition of a Platonic dialogue by BUR in Italian, it comes with the greek text, a 90 to 150 pages critical essay and notes -> for 12 euros.

>b-b-but the cover is not hard :(

someone wouldn't validly say that in a negative way
also that's a huge onigiri

So you're comparing English mass market paperbacks with Italian. How is that relevant to the hardcover debate? You can get fantastic hardcover critical editions of classics in German by S.Fischer/Suhrkamp/Hanser or La Pleiade in French. Also muh introduction, muh essay and muh text in original are virtually irrelevant for someone not actually studying classical literature. But by all means keep on with the 'le 12 euros' as a conclusion to all your arguments. This definitely doesn't reek of poorfaggotry.

I don't buy any books. Patrician library card crew my brothah.

I'd say,"some great books go out of print and that is the only way to find a copy. And I like used books. Any other aspects of my life would you like clarified?" And smile.

I still don't get why the price of the book is relevant. Why are you so angry at people who buy paperback?

Honest question, I'm not trying to be patronizing.

I don't even buy used paperbacks, I take the free books from the carts they leave outside of libraries :)

>not stealing from libraries

subbed

Thanks, you too.

>stealing
I can't; I'm white.

>real life
>implying I ever leave the house
>doesn't evade sunlight like the plague
pleb