ITT: weird food-related myths/bullshit your family taught you

>heating up something with mayonnaise in it is dangerous

Yeah I dont know why but this has always been a thought in the back of my head...I don't even know why...wtf.

>aspartame causes cancer
>meat causes cancer
>whiskey causes cancer
>EVERYTHING GOOD CAUSES CANCER

My mom was paranoid as fuck. Oh, and guess what she got for keeping that shit out of her diet?

>aspartame
>good
Tastes like really off sugar imo. Absolutely awful aftertaste. I'd rather just eat less sugary stuff than deal with aspartame.

Cancer?

Ding. Ding.

Right, I should have replaced that one with real cheese, which she also said caused cancer. There were tons of foods she claimed. A lot of these I have no idea where she was getting her info.

>niggers have spores that come out of the bottom of their feet

>microwaving water/milk is toxic

double dipping is a sin

Washing your hands

>Microwaving styrofoam can potentially poison your food.

Nobody has ever died from th......

The thing is she's not necessarily wrong, but this is just an example of what happens when people don't have any scientific education and take what they read in the news as gospel.

I mean, even the sun "causes" cancer, but when you report that to someone who doesn't look into it any further, they'll never leave the house again.

>Coffee stunts your growth

I'm 99% sure this was an old wives tail invented by parents who didn't want their kids drinking coffee and subsequently bouncing off the walls, but there are a lot of people who believe it.

>milk helps neutralize toxins
I got to say, whenever some food makes me feel iffy, it helps to drink some milk, but so does drinking water.

My family ritual for when you get sick is drinking Canada Dry ginger ale. And eating sherbet. No idea how the hell that started.

I wasn't allowed to drink coffee until I was 16 because of this. My mother is a fucking idiot.

Well ginger is considered a tummy settler but no plebs have or want raw ginger so they buy ginger flavored soda. It makes sense how uneducated people would arrive to that conclusion.

Sherbet? No idea.

>dont put hot food in the fridge because the food will go bad and youll get food poisoning.

My sister and I took food safety classes and discovered it was the opposite.

My dad used to force me to drink gatorade when I was sick.

I like the yellow one, so that's fine, but I think it's a little ridiculous to force it on someone.

same. No one believes me either.

Don't put cold food in the hot?

It makes sense you faggot. Also parents would

When I was a kid I thought I'd turn black if I was touched by a black person. I avoided them at all costs.

>Don't drink milk while/soon after having meat or you'll get a stomachache
Granted it's a disgusting taste combination but if you can put cheese on it I don't think milk is any different.

Correct.
Cooking food causes cancer. That's why it's become more prevalent in modern times

>milk and watermelon is poison
>country crock is butter
>every kind of beef cut should be eaten well done or you'll get worms
>all brands taste the same, the only thing that change is the price
>raw meat must be frozen, otherwise it will go bad
>defrosting meat can only be done with sunlight, otherwise it will cause cancer

>cooking food in the microwave ruins the nutritional value
> the gold flakes in goldschlager cut your throat, and the alcohol seeps in the cuts and make you drunker

If you belive either one of these, please kill yourself.

Wait that 'schlager thing isn't true?
I knew it was a fucking meme, good think I drink gin

black

It's not a myth but an annoying habit of people I know. The lazy cookers that either turn the food on high and leave the room so they always burn it. Or the people who turn it too low so they can leave the room (they were previously the last person). I know someone who boils water on low.

Meat literally does though.

muh dick?

>Never buy produce from Mexico because the workers urinate on the plants

My parents told me that it was illegal for children to drink coffee

She is right.
But y'know, going outside in the sun also causes cancer.
Everything either causes or somewhat slows cancer.

>you need to put cold water in a pot and put it on the burner after you turn it off or else the stovetop will burn

I had a really stupid mother, don't ask

Also

>shaking fruit juice too hard will bruise it

They do you liberal faggot theres videos of it on youtube

I remember at spacecamp they even told us a horror story of a guy that brought a sandwitch into orbit, which ended up warming up on exit and he ended up puking into his spacesuit

also
>if you don't cook pork to the consistency of a rubber boot you'll get AIDS and die

>>shaking fruit juice too hard will bruise it
This is the entire argument for people who prefer gin based mixed drinks stirred rather than shaken.

I'm not even shitting you.

>feed milk to baby

everything fine

>feed cheese to baby

u oh trabble

Goddamn doublestandards.

if you want to boil water you cant put hot water in the pot cuz it wont boil

>parents told me that meat came from plants
I believed that until I was 8 years old

>mom would tell me not to look into the microwave while it was on because it would cook my eyeballs
>I would stare into it when she wasn't paying attention

>eating raw eggs will give you salmonella

>eating rare chicken will kill you :(

>MSG IS BAD
>SALT IS BAD
>YOU SHOULDNT EAT FAT, HERE EAT ALL THESE HEALTHY CARBS FROM THIS RICE

You're oversimplifying things. 'Bruising' may be an old wive's tale, but shaking your drink and smashing up all the ice is going to give you cool water spiked with gin due to faster melting caused by greater surface area, not to mention making your drink look cloudy as dishwater.

Gentle stirring ensures the cocktail is thoroughly mixed while causing minimal melting.

>put bread in the fridge when it gets hot out
>put the coffee bag in the fridge to keep it from going stale
Both of these are counterintuitive

My parents would cook jello on the stove and have us drink it while it was warm. I'm guessing not a lot of people do this because my co-workers (pharmacy) thought it was really weird when I mentioned it

Fridges are bad at cooling down. They can keep cool, but take an awful long time to lower temperature.
If you put a large bowl of hot soup for example, your whole fridge and what's inside will get lukewarm for a significant time before getting cold again. So it's better to let the large bowl of hot soup to reach room temperature first (also lowers your electricity bill.)

>Don't mix dairy and meat.
Isn't that a Jewish thing?

Raw chicken? Because it will.

hasn't so far

This. You want to cool the food down first before it goes into the fridge. A great way to do this is to put the food in an ice bath or to use a cold paddle.

Pic related.

Raw/rare chicken is no more dangerous than any other meat at the same state of cooking.

The reason why we don't eat raw/rare chicken is because it doesn't have a pleasant taste or texture, whereas raw/rare beef or fish is very popular because it tastes good.

Refer to the section on microbiology and food spoilage in Modernist Cuisine. IIRC it's near the end of volume 1.

If I eat raw chicken will I be kill?

My parents taught me to put lobsters in plastic bags when boiling them to muffle their screams.

>Raw/rare chicken is no more dangerous than any other meat at the same state of cooking
Bullshit. Chicken and poultry is much more prone to dangerous bacteria than other meats, which it has to have 165 degrees internal for 10 seconds to ensure it's fully cooked.

>Chicken and poultry is much more prone to dangerous bacteria than other meats,

But that's not true, as the source I posted explains.

You've got some old wives tale in your head.

Also, laws regarding time/temperature have little basis in actual fact. That's also discussed in the same source. Stop parroting what you've been told and educate yourself.

guanciale is great

The deal with cheek is it gets a lot of exercise so it has a deeper flavor than say a loin which does hardly any work

>Go out and buy my books

How's about you go out back and shoot yourself?

Mom told me that grape seeds get caught in your appendix and cause appendicitis.

I was told watermelon seeds would cause watermelons to grow in your stomach and make your stomach burst open, eating apple seeds could kill you, and never to drink soda after eating pop rocks as it will make your stomach explode and your guts spill out on the floor.

Here we usually drink flat 7-up/sprite and get a drop of mustard or honey on the tip of the tongue

It is sort of true. Growth hormone is only released when a child is sleeping, so if caffeine is keeping them up more than they are supposed to be, they are not going to grow to their max potential. So, it isn't the coffee, per se, but the lack of sleep.

If you're an adult can you take growth hormones to make you taller?

>MSG is bad for you
>diet soda causes memory loss
>standing close to a microwave or looking at it while on will give you cancer

>eating uncooked pasta will give you worms

Thanks mom, you useless fucking cocksocket.

No, your growth plates are probably closed

>you need to put oil in your water to keep your pasta from sticking together
>you need to rinse your pasta
but if you just put a bit of salt in the water the pasta won't stick and doesn't need to be rinsed and your sauce will stay on your damn pasta

How do you open them back up?

With a crowbar.

>Microwaving frozen bread makes it stale
30-45 seconds is plenty. Given how microwaves react to water content, at best opening the door would be like a sauna.

>Oil in water means you don't have to stir pasta/Food with long cooking times don't need tending, set it and forget it.
Never do this unless you're retard and if you're female, don't mind a husband that beats you for burning dinner or serves soggy/squishy pasta.

>Break pasta noodles in half to fit it into the saucepan
Let the water boil proper. You don't have to have break shit like a nigger. Maximum noodle length is best.

>A knife is a knife
Not always. One should consider a knife that's best at something. Serrated knives are best for fibrous materials such as bread or steak. Cake knives are often long with a simple blade meant to press rather than cut other substance, you shouldn't use a cake knife to cut vegetables or slice meat. Chef knives are sort of multi-purpose I guess, but best kept for raw materials, namely vegetables and fruit. I know some might say "when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" but fuck, there is such a thing as picking the wrong knife for the job.

>Cutting open burger patties to check for done-ness
Texture tells it all. If the burger is firm to the touch, it's good. Also, if the burger is cooked more outside than inside, it means you set the heat too high and flipped too much/too little.

>Cold pizza will give you food poisoning
Not family, a substitute teacher in 3rd grade. He's probably dead now, he was pretty old then.

It's only illegal for kids to drink coffee in schools in burgerland

Half Life 3 confirmed.

>this book I am shilling is more reliable then decades of international studies

uh-huh

>Growth hormone is only released when a child is sleeping
>tfw had a hard time sleeping as a child

Doctor said I was going to grow taller than my dad, but I'm just as tall as he is. Did I gimp myself?

>that one fucking episode of Rugrats with the watermelon seeds in Angelica's stomach
I'm pretty sure I started away from watermelon for a while after I saw that.

>Growth hormone is only released when a child is sleeping

That explains a lot

Came here to post that.

I asked my parents if it was true after I watched it and my dad would make me paranoid about it whenever I ate something with seeds.

It dissolves oxygen into the gin. Oxygen makes alcohol taste/feel rougher on your tongue.

You made the right choices

>averaged like six hours of sleep a night all through puberty because adderal
>tfw should have been like 5'10-5'11
>only 5'7

i turn my stove on low so i can watch tv in the other room while food heats up

if you believe this, you'll believe anything.

Apple seeds do contain trace amounts of cyanide.

Omfg is this why my room mate is always leaving water on the stove? Dumbass nigga

Insects, birds, rats, and possums all shit and piss on our produce, but Mexicans is where you draw the line?

>shaking fruit juice too hard will bruise it

The fruit has already been blended and squeezed into oblivion, what more harm could you POSSIBLY do to the fruits therein?

what the fuck is the point of jello then

It is very weird.
Why not just heat coolaid?

my family does the ginger ale thing too for stomachache

>Drinking any amount of alcohol regularly means you're an alcoholic

Dangerously stinky, yeah.

>>aspartame causes cancer
This is true
>>meat causes cancer
Only processed meats
>>whiskey causes cancer
Too much whiskey is bad for your health, with a fucked up liver and poor immune system you are more prone to cancer.
>>EVERYTHING GOOD CAUSES CANCER
What's your definition of "good"? I'm guessing when you say "everything" you are talking about deep fried and microwavable foods

Go organic and learn to cook, it's not hard. You're post is enough evidence you are unhealthy and probably fat.

Okay, A. I'm 125lbs. The examples I provided were just bad. She thought milk caused cancer.

B. I bet I'm a better cook than you.

Actually, there's some parasite in africa that reproduces like that.

How often do you eat raw pasta user?

>niggers
>some parasite in africa

When I was a kid my Mom would do the same thing with the jello

>A smoothie is a beverage not a meal
I'll fight you everyday on this one, mom.

Dunno, I leave water in pots, so they don't get dry and difficult to clean later, especially when I don't have time (or will) to wash them right away.

Could be true if the flour was never heated. Flour usually isn't pasteurized and is more likely to make you sick than eggs if you eat raw cookie dough.