So I had some sugar cane juice for the first time today. I didn't even know that people drank sugar canes...

So I had some sugar cane juice for the first time today. I didn't even know that people drank sugar canes, that's weird as fuck.

And it just tasted like sweet orange juice, it's not even that special. Why go through all the trouble to squeeze the juices out of branches when you can just drink something that tastes better and is easier to get?

Anyways, what's some other weird as fuck drinks/food/whatever that comes from the most unexpected places?

>sugar cane unexpectedly has a drinkable juice in it containing sugar
>this is weird
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you white?

It's slavery food. When you work for 18 hours a day in a cane field you figure out how to survive and sustain energy.

>t. Snarky white teen girl

>Why go through all the trouble to squeeze the juices out of branches

because its one of the easiest growing and contains more grams of sugar per pint than any other plant?

Best thing is to just chew on one, used to get em from the flea market as a kid and do that

Asian male in my 30s. I mean I've gotten used to the fact that you people freak out about shrimp with the tail still on it,, but presumably you've seen "cane sugar" on labels before? What did you picture, in your head, when you saw those labels?

Sugar cane juice tastes better than orange juice, not to say that tasting better than orange juice is hard to do. I like chewing peeled cane pieces. Bonus points if there's a shrimp meatball wrapped around them.

sugar cane contains more minerals than orange juice

I'm actually black
You see I'm really dumb because my dad left before I was born and my mother did crack instead of working like the rest of black people

>Asian who has never been to Asia and can't speak any language but English

Nope, I'm not white.

Are you sure it's a good idea to be eating food from a market that sells fleas?

desu I can't eat anything that's seafood related. The only Asian food that I can eat is Japanese ramen, preferably with beef or pork in it.

>Sugar cane juice tastes better than orange juice

Yeah, I don't know about that user.

Rude.

If it makes you feel better you can picture me as an overweight black woman

More importantly, what did you picture when you saw those labels? Underground sugar mines?

I picture you as a half asian Asian on the mother side only with a massive insecurity complex

As long as you're happy I'm happy

Now tell me about those sugar mines. Where are they? How do they keep the sugar dry when it rains? etc, I would really like to know more

I'm not op

The fleas avoid sugar cane, they got diabetus in their genes

Sugar cane juice tastes nothing like orange juice, the fuck are you on about?

The one I had most definitely tasted like sweet orange juice. It was extremely noticeable from the first sip.

In Mexico, traditional piñatas are filled with oranges, sugar cane, and some other fruits that are naturally sweet.

BUILD WALL

Used to rollerblade to a supermarket that occasionally sold sugar canes and my autistic friends and I would roll around audibly chewing and sucking these great big sticks. Looking back, we must have looked like down-syndrome on wheels

Don't want to be that guy, but a lot of people had thier sugar from beets and not from canes. Sugar Beet juice exists but it is too thick to drink, it is used as a spread for bread instead. So don't be surprised if people are surprised that people drink sugar cane juice.

I'm not that user but it isn't supposed to taste like orange juice at all

gay

I had an interesting one in the pacific islands. You find a coconut that has fallen to the ground and just started to germinate, look for the sprout. Dig it up and open it.

All the coconut water will have turned into a semi firm fibrous stuff that's delicious. It's a traditional breakfast food in tonga that kids go out and gather for the family.

I always thought they were full of drugs...
no es cierto my hermano, jaja! saludos

You're gay, back when I used to rollerblade I regularly beat car commute times in my city.

>tfw drinking a large cup of cold sugar cane juice with peach syrup on a hot day

You never had "Cana-de-açúcar" in your entire life, man ? Jesus...

this may well be the most flyover thread so far in 2017

This. My grandpa grew sugarcane in his backyard and it was a great chew. Like free candy desu.

If you live in the carolinas then you know the best thing to come out of sugar cane is the age old Cheerwine, It just hit its 100th year this year.

Cheerwine, its a southern thang

More like it's a faggot thing. I bet I'm more southern than you and we don't drink that piss.

I'll get it when I go to the brisket place across the bay. Moist brisket, burnt ends, corn bread, fried pickles, and mac and cheese. Pack up half of it, then scoot back home before the shits hit.

I'm from up North never knew about these until saw Reviewbrah drink one.

Its actually a pretty good for a soft drink, I dont really like soft drinks but ill have one every once in a while.

Honestly im not sure how they have been around for 100 years and have only sold to north and south Carolina. Seems like they would be more spread out with all that time.

false. It is about equal in sugar content to sugar beet. Sometimes less, sometimes more, it really depends on what type of sugar beet you are comparing it too.

The process for refining sugar from sugar cane first involves extracting the raw juice and filtering it through a process called carbonotation. After this it is called thin juice. You COULD refine this into white sugar and molasses and make roughly 30 dollars per 100 pounds, or you could just sell the thin juice at retail prices to gullible hipsters for an ungodly profit.

Or you could just get your own damn sugar cane and squeeze it yourself and drink that.