Bread-making

Post your latest bread-making endeavours here

>Japanese milk-bread with Red Leicester cheese and onion with pepper

Looks a little fucked up mate. Not horrible, but it could be better.

Yeah I think it's underproofed and putting dough-rolls side-by-side ended up being wonky

This is my go to double rise dry yeast and sourdough starter blend. Not bad when I don't want to fuck with a long rise, high hydration sourdough.

>eating bread

My most recent loaf. 80% biga starter white bread loaf.

Shat out this atrocity earlier. 70% hydration sourdough was too hard to work with for me. The bread rose perfectly then totally sank upon transfer to the Dutch oven

And something a little more successful

That's some good looking meatloaf

Been on vacation the last week so this is from a week ago.

Where's the crumbshot?

How thick is the dough?

The ratio looks a bit off to be tasty

here you go

fukk any help diagnosing mine?

75% poolish white

it looked pretty good from the outside but the crumb just wasn't there

I made bread for the first time a week ago. It was alright. A little too dense and the crust could have been darker. An user told me to bake at higher temp for longer. I baked this at 375F.

You got a great oven spring, but yeah, looks a little dense especially at the bottom. I've never used a poolish, I know they tend to be a higher hydration dough which can be harder to work with.

Two things come to mind:
1) Did you over work the dough? Did you knead it, or just apply a few folds during bulk fermentation?

2) Did you over-proof it? The density could be caused by over proofing.

1. I just folded it during fermentation
2. I tried to do the finger test for proofing but couldn't really tell so I might have over-proofed it

I don't know why, but I love baking bread.

How long and at what temp did you do the bulk fermentation and final proofing?

5 hr bulk with two folds in the first hr and 1.25 hrs for final proofing both around 75 - 80 degrees

Definitely sounds overproofed to me -- with the 80% biga loaf I made, I bulk fermented for just 3 hours (with 4 folds in the first 1.5 hrs), then final proofed for just about an hour, both times at a room temp of 76-78F.

Next time, I'd shorten the bulk proofing temp and maybe add an additional fold in for added structure.

wow ok, I'll try a shorter bulk fermentation and another fold this weekend.

thanks for the help!

No problem! The key thing to remember when baking with a preferment like a biga or a poolish is that it has already done a solid ferment overnight - in your case, 75% of the flour already had many hours to break down and bulk up, so there's much less work for the yeast to do when you add the final flour!

Good luck, and post your results!

It was focaccia. About an inch and a half thicc. It was killer with some cream cheese.

A yeast-raised pumpkin sandwich loaf.

Crumb shot; it came out with a subtle flavor that went well with butter.