Are fried green tomatoes any good?

Are fried green tomatoes any good?

Anyone have a good recipe for them?

What types of sauces would accompany this dish well?

Finally, if green tomatoes aren't available can you substitute red tomatoes... is there such a thing as fried red tomatoes?

I'm pretty sure those will literally kill you

Do u even know why they're green nigger?

No, why?

They are good. They're obviously not health food, but they taste good (like pretty much anything fried tends to.)

I'd think that substituting red for green might not be as nice. Green have a little bitterness and are significantly firmer, thus will hold up better to frying.

Might as well try it though, tomatoes and batter are cheap.

They are good.
Recipe: tomatoes, dip lightly in seasoned flour, fry.
Sauces: Ketchup or malt vinegar

Red tomatoes have ripened and the starches have broken down into sugar and water. They're too soft to fry.

They're not ripe yet

I like them.

That's not true idiot. They're a different type of tomato.

You're thinking of tomatillos. Green tomatoes are literally unripe tomatoes. Also, fried green tomatoes are overrated, they've always been really greasy and bland for me.

Fuck off retard, they are literally unripe tomatoes

mmmmmm

Yes, fried green tomatoes are great when done properly.

Recipe:
Slice green tomatoes into 1/4" slices.
Season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 30-60 minutes. This also draws out excess moisture.
Dry on paper towels.
Dip into flour and shake off excess.
Dip into egg wash (1 egg plut 2 tbs milk)
Dip into final seasoned breading (this can be breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, flour, etc)
Deep fry at 350F until golden brown.

The traditional dip is remoulade. Salsa, Ranch Dressings, or a Cheese Sauce are also good.

As mentioned before, green tomatoes are unripe tomatoes. It is what we do in the summer time when our tomato plants are at their peak. Out tomato plants put out so many tomatoes that we have to remove some before they are ripe so that the weight does not break the branches. You can technically make fried red tomatoes, but they will fall apart.

t. Georgiafag

What the fuck is a tomatillo?

Would Fried Green Tomatoes taste good with a hollandaise sauce?

you fags realize that frying a ripe tomato would be borderline retarded, right?
thats like trying to fry water

shh don't tell them that

We used to use reds in the diner i cooked at, id do sunny side up, and use the outer parts of sliced tomatoes for frying, and then when they broke the yolk, they could dip the tomato in it
>Tfw that place shut down last year and is now a dollar store

Restaurant I used to work at served a fried green tomato caprese and it was surprisingly delicious. Definitely worth trying at home.

Tomatillos are a cousin of the tomato that is smaller and still green when ripe. They also have a husk around them kind of like onion skin. Really common in Mexican food and not much else.

How do they compare to real tomatoes in flavor?

They're more sour/tart; they taste a bit like an unripe tomato.

The texture is totally different as well. Tomatillos are much less watery. They have more seeds but the seeds are tiny.

>Anyone have a good recipe for them?

You don't really need one. Slice green tomatoes. Press between paper towels to remove excess water. Coat in flour or cornmeal, then fry them.

have you ever had salsa verde?

That's not necessarily helpful. Many types of salsa verde don't contain tomatillo at all.

I like all three of the variants I've had.

Variant 1: breaded.
Sliced green tomato is dipped in egg wash then breadcrumbs and shallow fried.

Variant 2: battered.
Sliced green tomato is dredged in seasoned flour then dipped into batter and deep fried.

Variant 3: "chicken-fried."
Sliced green tomatoes are dredged in seasoned flour, allowed to sit until the salt leeches water out, hydrating the flour through then dredged a second time and shallow fried.

Depending on how you season your flour, breadcrumbs and/or batter and what sort of fat you fry in (veg oil, lard, bacon grease, chicken grease etc) will make a huge difference in taste but if you like slightly tart deliciousness, fried green tomatoes are great.

As for dips, I know I may catch flack for this, but ketchup is already slightly tart and just mutes the tomato's own tartness so I prefer either mayonnaise, ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing to dip them in.
They're also great in sandwiches.

Oh, and as for frying ripe tomatoes: sure, but it doesn't work well with 'regular' tomatoes cuz they're too soft. Instead, get cherry or grape tomatoes, halve them and do a mix between variants 1 and 2 above:
Egg wash halved tomatoes then dredge in seasoned flour. Egg wash a second time then bread them and deep fry. You want the oil very hot and the tomatoes cooked only up the point the crust is just browned. Any longer and the tomatoes soften too much. Any shorter and the crust won't be crunchy.

Hope this helps.
t. Euro who likes AmeriSouthern food

>What the fuck is a tomatillo?

As another user pointed out, the tomatillo is a cousin of the tomato but is has a more sour taste than a tomato. They are the primary component of salsa verde (i.e. the green salsa you find in Mexican Restaurants). They are delicious desu.

Here in southern Europe we do the same thing with aubergines and zucchini.

I think it works even better than with green tomatoes.

What the fuck is an aubergine?

Euro word for eggplant.

Why don't they just call it eggyplant?

yes, they're fucking awesome. they're even better with some kind of creamy and tart, slightly spicy homemade dressing to dip them in.

>all these steps

I usually just dip them in flour and fry them like that. Tastes alright to me.

They're a staple of southern appetizers for a reason. Tart from the green tomato, and crispy from the cornmeal breading. They're not difficult to make. They can even work as a burger topping if you wanted to do a southern-themed burger.

I refuse to believe someone is this fucking stupid. It just can't be.