Why is it said that the cheeks are the best part to eat, at least in the Hannibal movies?

Why is it said that the cheeks are the best part to eat, at least in the Hannibal movies?

Is there any truth to that? Are there any animals that this doesn't apply to?

Just pretentious shit passed down from the "apex" of French cuisine.

Basically the French were the first to actually standardize and institutionalize the culinary arts. Because of this they were regarded as gospel blindly for centuries as far as cooking goes, since they were the oldest in civilization to actually standardize cooking. There were about 200 years in there where they just kind of did whatever and as a result you get ortolans eaten whole drowned in cognac, fucking snails drenched in butter and garlic, and force-fed goose liver.

Hit or miss. One of those is actually great. The other two are shit scoffed up by people that can afford it, and people that can't trying to act classy.

Long story short, no, cheek is shit. It is poor person food that has been lauded up as much as head cheese or surstromming.

>The other two are shit scoffed up by people that can afford it, and people that can't trying to act classy.

please tell me foie gras is the winner here i dont want to be a pleb for finding the other two kinda gross

make up your own fucking mind holy shit. i bet you would eat a turd if it was deep fried.

Having had a couple of boiled whole lamb heads (Iranian delicacy,) I can say that the cheek is second only to the tongue. It's just a very soft, enjoyable meat.

Ive never heard of anyone making cheek the center of a dish though

bird turds are where I draw the line, user.
Now, cow turds, that's your kiddy right there...

I've only ever had pickerel cheeks.
Pretty good.
The idea being cheek muscle doesn't get much USE, leaving them tender.

>Long story short, no, cheek is shit.
fuck off I've had delicious soft tender beef cheeks before that were better than a lot of restaurant bullshit I've eaten before.

Well, I have only eaten the cheek of two animals: pigs and cows.
We call pork cheek "hog jowls" here in the south. Here, it is wet cured and then heavily smoked. It is the tastiest part of the pig.
The only preparation of beef cheek I have had is Tacos de Cachete. They are absolutely fantastic. It is like an especially flavorful version of Cuban Vaca Frita on a taco.
I will just say this. There is good meat on the face.

Snails drenched in butter and garlic is god-tier. Foie Gras is meme food, but I don't like liver from any animal. I have not had ortolans.

>Are there any animals that this doesn't apply to?
chickens and frogs

>snails drenched in butter and garlic
I mean, you drench anything in butter and garlic and it will taste good

which cheeks

I thought the Italians were the first to advent food?

Beef cheek is so good though.

Beef cheek is insanely good so maybe

to be fair, most surstromming "challenge" retarts don't even know how to properly serve it. Sure, it smells like hot garbage, but there is an actual way to put it down your neck without gagging. "Poor people food" it is, but it has never been pushed as something as regular until these challenge videos came up.

Have another (you)

cheeks are a rich and delicious braising cut in most animals. braise some pork cheeks in milk or with tomato and fennel seed. deep fry some cod cheeks and serve with a honey sauce and black pepper.

they're good because they have lots of fat and collagen which break down in cooking and they're thoroughly used throughout the animal's life which means they have lots of flavour.

this guy is trying too hard. i'm quite sure he's never even tried ortolan and this is word for word all the most shitposty stuff you will hear about french food on this board. do not listen to him.

Escargot ain't expensive you twat

Basically the harder a muscle is worked the more dense and more flavourful it is. In Hannibal Rising where he talks about cheeks being the best tasting it can be understood to mean that Hannibal considers people to use their mouths more than anything, either for eating or for talking. this is at odds with how Hannibal conducts himself as he doesn't fill the air with speech for speech sake.

Pig cheeks and cow cheeks deliciousness verified. I especially like the texture of pig cheeks.

>he's never even tried buttered camel shit so he can't say eating it is disgusting! its a delicacy in turdmenistanigan!

(You)

Never had ortolans but you are a faggot for not liking the other two, havent got a clue what you are on about and are obviously an uncultured swine.

Let me guess, you bought cheeks, had no idea how to cook them, grilled them like steaks and they were rubber?

Cheeks are delicious when cooked well, so are escargots and foie gras. Idk about otorlans, it's a thing of the past now anyway.

When we're talking about meats, tenderness is king.

The reason why tenderloins are so revered are because they're at a spot in the back of the animal where no matter how much exercise the animal gets, it will never become tough and chewy. This is also the same reason why people like veal so much: no exercise, more tenderness.

Cheeks are similar in the sense that no matter how much exercise or how old it becomes, its cheeks will never actually become tough and chewy. However, cheeks also don't contain much actual meat.

So yeah, cheeks are very tender and make for a good cut of meat. Are they the best part? That's a matter of opinion. I think a good chef can take a "bad" cut of rump roast and make it taste better than a cut of cheeks prepared by a dolt. Try it out if you want, but don't expect something life changing.

And don't forget, Hannibal doesn't know how to pronounce chianti.

>Cheeks are similar in the sense that no matter how much exercise or how old it becomes, its cheeks will never actually become tough and chewy.

You have it completely backwards, user.

Cheeks are a hard-working muscle. It gets exercised every time the animal eats. In fact it's one of the most highly exercised muscles on the whole animal. That's why it has a strong flavor. They also need to be cooked low-and-slow in order to make them tender.

Ever try to cook cheek meat like a steak? That will be like trying to eat leather.

It's a relatively common dish here in portugal, braised pork cheek

>I don't like liver from any animal.
Opinion discarded.

Are fish cheeks any good like a chef proclaims in hannibal rising, that you offer one cheek to the lady and one cheek to the guest?

>This is also the same reason why people like veal so much: no exercise,
What?! You've got it comletely backwards... Deer run and "exercise",as you put it, a LOT more than lets say a pig or a cow.

Yeah, fish cheeks are god-tier. The problem is that there's not much meat there so you need a pretty big fish to get a satisfying amount of cheek meat.

>its thinly veiled french cuisine is the pinnacle of dining post
have another (you), you frog eating surrender monkey

Uhm, what?

You know that veal is a baby cow, right?
Deer meat is called venison.

Which fish cheeks taste the best? Are orange Roughy fish cheeks any good?

I can't say that I've ever done a side-by-side comparison of different fish cheeks. But IMHO the cheek is the tastiest part of any fish. So whatever your favorite fish is would be the answer to that question.

I've had orange roughy, but never whole. I've only had that served as fillets.

I wonder what Alligator Gar cheeks taste like?

fuckin lel

What do the cheeks of shellfish, say like crab, lobster, and shrimp taste like?

Yeah, sorry, my brains messed up, cause I didn't sleep for almost 36hours... Of course it is... Mixed up veil and venison
same to (you)... I'm not trolling, just really, really sleepy.

I want to try veil cheeks. I wonder what a hamburger made solely from beef cheeks would taste like...

Probably awful. Imagine really hard chewy bits mixed up with a great deal of fat.

Cheeks need to be cooked low and slow.

You use relatively chewy meat to make hamburger mincemeat man, tender beef just falls apart when minced and cooked

I would bet it's excellent. I usually grind short rib meat for them but next time I go to the asian market I might buy some and try it. If they don't look like at least 20% fat, I'll just make up the difference with some trimmings from a chuck roast.

The cheek is just about the toughest muscle on the whole damn cow.

Whether or not a burger patty falls apart relates to the fat content, not the toughness of the meat.

Is there such a thing as filet mignon burgers or foie gras burgers?