Friendship

Can anyone recommend literature, poetry, or philosophy on the philosophical nature of true friendship? I've always wanted to read a really deep, nuanced philosophical anthropology type dealie of friendship, platonic love, that kind of thing.

I'm drunk as fuck and my life is an imploding shitheap of constant pain. I love this fucking board. I love that you guys all genuinely care about literature and philosophy. Even the oneupmanship here is at least motivated by a sincere desire to improve and understand. All the shitposters are unusually clever and funny, everyone is subtly well-meaning beneath all the vitriol. This is the best board. If you browse Veeky Forums you're a cool guy and I'd give you a big not gay hug. I appreciate everyone with asperger's syndrome and I'd be your fucking friend even if you're a weird guy. Everyone deserves a friend.

youtube.com/watch?v=QBhxfltn50E

Other urls found in this thread:

4umi.com/nietzsche/zarathustra/14
naomigryn.com/Ebooks/Of-Friendship-Montaigne.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also hey Girardfag, you're a cool dude.

I like you too. You should become a teetotaler like me though, or at least not drink excessively. I genuinely worry about people who drink a lot.

I am posting just because girardposter apparently is watching this thread.

This was weirdly touching.

>tfw only real friends I have are internet friends
oh well

Also hello Girardfag. did you ever finish up that big 17 page long essay you were working on?

Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics also talks about friendship

The White Donkey

Schiller - Die Bürgeschaft

4umi.com/nietzsche/zarathustra/14

Came here to post this. Aristotle did nothing wrong.

Montaigne's essay on friendship.

thanks

I'm a fan of Cicero's Laelius de Amicitia.

Also, same sentiments about Veeky Forums and all of its posters as well. Cheers to you OP. If you ever find yourself in the San Diego area, start a thread here, and I'll get in touch and take you out for a drink.

OP isn't Girardfag - I am - but he sure sounds like me (and vice-versa). I support that big not gay hug. And the rest of the post.

Thank ye sir.

I *am* but you have no idea how weird it is to read that.

Four pages were enough. I'm going to write the rest of the Total Pseud Guides and put them on a blog at some point, maybe with other essays. Maybe somebody can use them as notes to write some paper somewhere. But I plan on teaching overseas again pretty soon and I have to prepare for that so I probably won't* be on Veeky Forums too much.

*shouldn't
>tfw you lie, you will be here forever
>tfw i'm okay with this

So yeah, Seneca and Montaigne are good on this subject, as are most of the Stoics. Good night and good luck then, you sexy mothers. And I'm going to pour a drink *right now* and have one too.

naomigryn.com/Ebooks/Of-Friendship-Montaigne.pdf

I didn't expect this post user.

You caught me offguard and pierced my emotional armour.
You have deaply effected me.
I wish you the best.

Does anyone know of similar recommendations relating to romantic love and relationships?

Symposium
The Gospels

The Four Loves has a good section on it

The Gospels. 1 Samuel with David and Jonathan.

Beleg and Turin in The Silmarillion. Unforgotten Tales has a better extended version. And The Children of Hurin has a sort of novel on the story. Christopher Tolkien wrote it in a 'modern' way and ruined the beauty, but still more background and heartbreak in it ;_;

Epicurus and his maxims shows the true relationship of friendship, and also the last relevant stage of ethics.

There's a section in A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers by H.D. Thoreau where he talks about friendship. It's really nice. Recently I also read Gravity and Grace by Simone Weil, which has some really touching passages about friendship, like this one:

>It is a fault to wish to be understood before we have made ourselves clear to ourselves. ... Learn to thrust friendship aside, or rather the dream of friendship. To desire friendship is a great fault. ... Every dream of friendship deserves to be shattered. It is not by chance that you have never been loved. ... To wish to escape from solitude is sowardice. Friendship is not to be sought, not to be dreamed, not to be desired; it is to be exercised (it is a virtue).

>I love that you guys all genuinely care about literature and philosophy
Yeah, drunk as fuck.

I took a course in college called Love and Friendship. Recently reached out to the professor for the reading list because I wanted to revisit the texts. If he gets back to me in time I'll post it in this thread. I doubt that will happen, though, so keep an eye out and I'll make a thread for it. He also taught the course I took on Aesthetics and he'll be giving me those readings as well, so those will be included, too. This is all assuming he still has those syllabi (I took these courses almost ten years ago).

The Epic of Gilgamesh (S. Dalley translation)
Three Men in a Boat

Those two look weird next to each other but these are the first things that popped into my head on the subject of friendship.

you're welcome.