Is it worth it to learn Latin to read older litterature in its original language?

Is it worth it to learn Latin to read older litterature in its original language?

I don't have a specific period in mind, it could be anything from Cicero's "De Oratore" to Spinoza's "Ethica, ordine geometrico demonstrata".

Other urls found in this thread:

politicalavenue.com/10862/The Ultimate Latin Language Learning Pack/
discord.gg/2vWWThG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>learning latin just for the funz

Loser

Are you telling me you're not fluent in latin yet? Geez louise!

Learning Latin is going to have more use for you outside of reading original Latin texts. Your perspective on vocab will change, and you will be able to pick up many words and languges quickly.

greek is better imo

What books are good for learning latin autodidactically

Start with Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana.

Yes, but also so you can much more easily learn other latin languages later.

Wheelock's! I have Learn to Read Latin by Keller & Russell, which some tend to prefer, but I think Wheelock's Latin is the best there is.

politicalavenue.com/10862/The Ultimate Latin Language Learning Pack/

Thanks, friend.

I would also avoid this:

(It's not good at all!) (I wouldn't have purchased it if I had a choice. Went through the series as an extra warm up - it's by far the worst.)

Always!

I randomly made a discord yesterday. If you do decide to start with Wheelock's or anything for that matter, I have many resources to share (and Anki flashcards)! Someone requested them yesterday and I'll be going through my HD later this afternoon to send them to him. If you need any, drop by and leave a throwaway or shoot "angel" a message. discord.gg/2vWWThG

Best wishes and Happy Studying!

can someone help me translate the following phrase?

>"human, after all"

Google translate gives me the following translation:

"cum omnibus ominibus"

but when flipped i got >pic related

Greek and Latin for the win OP.

Homo, post omnis
I guess

this sounds way too literal
im not educated in Latin but i somehow doubt comma usage of that sort is appropriate.

No. Remember that J.K. Rowling was a Classics major and the departments are filled with her worshipers. Though they are all rich whores with daddy issues so it is easy to get Pantaloon there.

**Poontang** not Pantaloon

He only put in the comma to mimic the person who requested a translation. can remove it as he sees fit.

She was? Wasn't the 48 Laws of Power author as well?

I'd kinda prefer pantaloon to poontang
poontang sounds like some sort of infection

wouldn't it be: homo post omnes

we learned latin in highschool just to read catullus m8, go for it its not that hard

>tfw infection

>caring about old hags

Yeah too literal. There is no one-to-one translation that I can think of.

I'd use: homo revera (human in truth/reality)
Or: homo tamen (human nevertheless/still)

One would need the context to provide an effective translation.

I assume he's referring to the Daft Punk track, so it would imply one is human [rather than machine].

What answer are you expecting? You decide if it's worth it. Do you want to read latin books in the original language? Then it's worth it. Learning something new is inherently good.

>learning how to butcher a human is inherently good