Mfw i realize eternal reoccurrence is probably true

>mfw i realize eternal reoccurrence is probably true
>mfw i realize i can only reoccur as myself

Why don't you have any recollection of reoccuring before then?

What are you talking about? Are you saying I'd have memory of "past lives"?

Plus, if eternal reoccurrence is true, it's not even past lives, it's just a never ending repeat. Not a story, just a circle.

>>mfw i realize i can only reoccur as myself
yes, that's why it's recurrence and not occurrence.

also Nietzsche never suggested such a thing was literally true, just that the belief in eternal recurrence could serve as a model for ethical (life-affirming) living

so basically you've just clued into a basic Nietzschean concept but are upset about it, which means that you've failed to understand what he was getting at

>I think about reincarnation
>If I'm reincarnated, I won't have control over "myself"
>Have an existential crisis
No thanks, friendo. I'm gonna lose my self identity and become a throbbing cell of a slime mold when I die. Yes I am.

Also, question, Does that mean india is the first dudes who got it right? Before the greeks? I mean, their whole religion is based on the world repeating on phases.

This idea makes me desperate to achieve something with my life. If reincarnation were true I could just say "fuck this, i'll do better in the next life". If nihilism were true I could just say "fuck this, nothing matters anyway so I might as well not bother trying to achieve something". If I'm forced to live the exact same life in the exact same way for all eternity I need to achieve the most I can while I'm still alive because I'll never get a second chance. It also raises interesting questions about determinism and compatibilism.

I get that he used it as a model for his whole ubermensch philosophy, but the more I've thought about it (with my basic understanding of science admittedly), the more I've realized that its probably true, however, I can't reincarnate as anything else because I'm not actually a soul, but just the material result of the universe.

that's the entire point of him suggesting the idea, to make you think like that

well done user you manage to not completely miss the point like this retard

If eternal reoccurrence were to be true you'd be living all of your infinite lives simultaneously.

Yes I get the idea you fucking idiot. Beyond Good and Evil isn't exactly Finnegans Wake, is it? Do you actually get the idea as you post on Veeky Forums?

>he only understand the eternal recurrence as an ethical concept

Eternal recurrence would be the same as only living your life once, really. It will always be as if it's the first time you live through it. So, in practice, it's pretty much the same deal

I get what you're saying. I've thought about how, it's not like this would be my first life. But I've also thought, shit nigga, there's a lot of stuff I've missed out on. And, shit nigga, I can't help but feel bad for pretty much everyone who has it worse.

Nietzsche's interpretation of stoic metaphysics is very naive desu

Living the same life forever. Sounds pretty comfy. Do support.

So I just got to the part with the gate and the roads that go on forever backwards and forwards. Is this about the reocurrence? What did he mean by this? does it tie in to Camoo's "there is no meaning to life so you must make one" ? or am I getting it completely wrong? helb blease

Understanding that time is not linear, do you not find it more likely that you'd return as your offspring than yourself? Think about the nature of life. Of course in reality yourself and your child would exist at the same time. But "you" can exist as yourself for your whole life then die. And upon "your" return to existence, be your child. It makes sense physically and metaphysically. You can chose to "live" or "die". It's actually comforting.

Well, not much to be done, I suppose. If it is indeed real, it's not like you can do anything to change the course

I should clarify I meant
*upon "your" return to existence, be born as your child

So, you think your father is actually you?

Was me. And I was him until he died. Even though we were alive together. "I" was him until he died. And now "he" is me.

Honestly, user, that makes little sense.

Just so I understand clearly - Do you think his consciousness was transfered into you upon his death, or are you speaking in more of a figuratively manner?
And what then happens if you never have a son?

If the question would have asked for my mother instead of my father, the answer would have said the same.
It's difficult to say. Who knows for certain the true nature of consciousness? But it is relatively safe to assume it's a part of three things: the universe, the body, and the minds of those around you (be them real or imaginary). I say that it makes sense that "we" would live on as our offspring because those three things are at their most intimate when creating new life. Universally, reincarnation is a very believable, possible, and accepted belief. It is hard to ignore or argue the idea that the body is like a vessel and the universe like water. Bodily, your parents DNA directly combine to create your new genetic code. A mix-and-match of the traits of your parents. And lastly, mentally, your parents are the primary influence on your developing mind for a while until after memories can be formed and you then begin to root as an individual.

The only major logical concern is the issue of living while your parents are living or while your children are living or both together. But understanding that time is not linear, there lies the strong assertion that "I" can live even if I believed "I was" my father or mother, because that "me" (even if my mother and father are still living) has died in that life. And when I die, even if my child is 38 when I do, I will be born as (if you have more than one, you'd live all their lives) them when they/I are/am first born.