Does anyone know his work as a mathematician? Was he good?

Does anyone know his work as a mathematician? Was he good?
As a terrorist he was not very good.

Other urls found in this thread:

worldcat.org/title/boundary-functions/oclc/34519173&referer=brief_results
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>As a terrorist he was not very good.

???

MKULTRA
KULTRAM
ULTRAMK
LTRAMKU
TRAMKUL
RAMKULT
AMKULTR

Why did he choose a life of poverty and terrorism instead of making money?

Friendly reminder to kill all your brothers

>ramkult
Spoopy

google his papers and read them

they are ok

He was perfectly capable as a terrorist, he had a very specific goal (get Industrial Society and Its Future published in a major newspaper so lots of people will read it) and he accomplished it.

in law

He was good and talented, but nowhere near any of the greats.

All his math was published before he turned thirty. This is in keeping with the conventional wisdom that math is a young man's game. His first paper was a relatively simple result in abstract algebra which is accessible to undergrads; a later paper takes up number digits, again in a relatively simple way, and which is part of a less-serious but interesting train of thought which reaches back to Hardy, through other Mathematics Magazine articles of the same period, and more recently to Lara Pudwell's note on the topic. A fairly simple challenge problem in abstract algebra and another somewhat more interesting problem in geometry were each published and had their solutions posted (with the problems being reprinted) later.

The rest of his stuff, the "serious work" is given over to /boundary functions/, a topic in complex analysis where he proved a bunch of stuff... and reference to boundary functions, although present in some other papers of the period, seems to stop circa the early 70s, when he quit. Objectively his work hasn't had a big impact exactly because it isn't cited much by mathematicians. You and I both know the only, the real reason why we're talking about him at all. Had he never done that other stuff then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

He basically had respectable output for a PhD, and was even prolific for a time, but that's about it.

oh

He worked in Geometric Function theory which is now essentially a dead feild of math.

This doesn't really explain how people who have moved across the country or internationally with almost no connections gained connections.

his manifesto is bretty comfy

Does anybody have scans of the letters some math major or whatever wrote to him in jail and he explained how he would go about solving the problem? He also talks about his time at Harvard I think.

they're fookin normies of course

I am reiterating my desire for any user who lives in the DC area to go to one of THESE (bottom two!) LIBRARIES, GET A GOOD COPY OF THE DISSERTATION, AND UPLOAD IT PUBLICALLY TO THE INTERNET, PREFERABLY ON A FUTURE Veeky Forums THREAD:

worldcat.org/title/boundary-functions/oclc/34519173&referer=brief_results

The worldcat page now lists /only three/ places where the text is kept, as opposed to the (recent) four (the fourth was also in the DC area but is apparently missing as of today!) This suggests to me that the fourth library is hip and doesn't want the thing accessible anymore.

Please preserve this historically interesting text before the universities destroy it!

also, from my "purported prison writing" folder:

Thank You!

The eight images just-posted are all that I've ever seen in connection with "the prison writing", and have been posted with some regularity by other anons on Veeky Forums over the past two-ish years. One user once claimed that derived from some yahoo group which discussed ted, and perhaps there are more examples, but I haven't seen them - I'm more interested in the professional publications.

I think Harvard got egg on its face about this and were forced to somehow retract-undo the thing.

what? i did this kinda shit in high school and im definitely not a super math genius
is he teaching here?

The context of that particular letter/fragment is pretty clearly that Ted is bored and is corresponding with a young person who:

-was foolish enough to directly correspond with the known mail-bomber, and who
-will be on that one or two watchlist(s) forever as a conseqeunce, and who
-has a high-school-tier understanding of math, as you correctly point out.

Ted is just amusing himself by politely replying to an equally polite letter, and pointing out to his pen-pal that there's differences between expressions and propositions (such as equations), etc.

Some sort of program akin to project mkultra messed him up

Yeah, the user who wrote that has a point, but he's too defeatist.

A baseline of self-esteem from past lives and various forms of attractiveness (which are confirmed to one's self and manifested in one's own self-esteem) renders a person better-able to make these sorts of dramatic transitions. The carefully-considered and classic /r9k/ thread obviates your objection in that it explicitly accounts for such social transactions of reward, value, etc, which can yet redound to an user who has been out of things for a bit in that that user still has a justified baseline of self-confidence.

>Environmental factors exist
>Therefore only environmental factors exist

Ironic that someone offering such a long, insightful critique of others' deficient empathy 1) perceives himself as entirely lacking in agency and not responsible for anything and 2) thinks the whole world is contemptuous of him, and thus justifies his contempt for all other people.

just wanted to post something similar.
one major symptom of a severe lack of empathy and understanding is the idea that everyone else is responsible for your problems - which, ironically, is what this guy spreads out over several pages of drivel.

i bet the sperg who wrote this has never in his lifetime come up with the idea of just spending time with a lonely older person (his grandma etc.) or similar, because that's just how "empathetic" and "social" he himself is.

if anything, that post makes me agree with the filename.

I remember this problem. Did anyone actually solve it?

I'd like to know too.

Is he still reachable via mail?