Is rare steak raw steak?

Is rare steak raw steak?

no

Rare steak has become just like spicy food. It's a total meme. At a certain point people aren't eating things at a spice level because its enjoyable, its only to show off. Same thing for rare steak, people choke down bloody meat so they aren't "pussy" or something. Medium rare is fine.

>stop enjoying things i don't enjoy

I know you're trolling but I've been cooking steak at home a lot recently and I usually go for medium rare, but I'm not the best cook and often make rare with a nice sear and I like it just as much,

Pretty much the Veeky Forums motto, except that when one says it out loud it must be said with a faggy vaguely European accent.

Raw means uncooked, so no.

rare you have to cut that fat off so i actually like it cooked it for the flavor of eating fat a bit more desu

Rare is in fact a meme, made to overcompensate against people who like it well. People who like it well have basically forced an averse reaction to cooking beef to the proper degree it deserves.

The reality is most beef is usually best at medium rare, not at actual rare or lower. The only reason people like it rare is because "Well liking it well is bad, therefore liking it the opposite is better"

Of course this all depends on the specific cut.

medium is the patrician choice

also those steaks look like shit

Why am I the first one to point out that OPs pic is completely wrong?
The supposed "rare" picture is actually a quality medium-rare where the intra-muscular marbling has been rendered.
The supposed medium-rare steak is also medium rare. The supposed medium steak is actually cooked well as is the next one. The final stead is cooked well-done. There are a couple of levels left (i.e. done and what Donald Trump likes).

Based on my sous-vide experiments, those steaks (NY Strips) are cooked to approximately the following temps:
1. 124
2, 128
3. 142
4. 148
5. 160

When are we gonna stop this whole "well done is bad!" meme?

>bloody meat

The red juice in raw red meat is not blood it's a mixture of water and a protein called myoglobin.
And the brighter the red it is the more oxygen is present in the myoglobin, which gets darker over time.

Test

which means nothing. eat steak the way you like it.

No.

Blue rare is pretty much raw yet seared.

Rare means the fat has rendered, but it is red throughout the inside. In medium we'll see more firmness and the encroaching gray from the searing yet pink in the middle, well done is obviously fully cooked throughout.

I don't give a fuck.
I only like it well-done, nobody will ever change my mind and I will never judge anyone for liking it rare... it's just preference ennit.
I like my bacon crispy as fuck, and my steak/burger burnt like it's a Jew.

dumbest thing I've read in days, stay off of the internet you cocksucker.

That's because if you tried to judge someone you would be laughed at for liking charcoal.

Rare steak is raw steak for people who want to pretend they aren't so uncivilized they'd rip out the jugular of a cow with their teeth if it wasn't frowned upon.

No.

Different pieces of meat require different styles of cooking, and different serving options. Sirloin, for example, is garbage to good to rare or medium rare because it's too chewy. It's best at medium, or slow-cooked to well past done in liquid. Fillet is wasted at anything past medium, since it's so tender. Ribeye is the same way, as is NY strip. Flank steak should be MR to Medium, and anything with "chuck" or "round" in the name belongs in a slow cooker or roasting pan, with plenty of liquid.

Match the cooking to the cut; just demanding the same temp for every cut shows ignorance of the vehicle.