How difficult is it be to complete a double major in computer science and mathematics?

How difficult is it be to complete a double major in computer science and mathematics?
I already know how to program and I've started studying first year math to get ahead, but I'm scared the workload will be too much to handle.

if it's too much simply concentrate on cs and finding a job

I could just do math as a minor, but I really wanted to do both. Not to mention a heavy math background also looks good to grad school admissions and employers as well.

Yo, math and CS double major here. If it really is too much in the coming semesters, it's honestly alright to drop math into a minor.

That being said, I've found it very useful to peek ahead and plan my classes at least two semesters in advance. I got all my general requirements done by taking one class devoted to that each semester. I cycle math and CS by taking two from first major and one from the second, and then alternating to one from the first major and two from the second, etc.

In this fashion, I never try and put more than 4 classes on my plate at a time, since math is a big commitment to studying and computer science is a big commitment to time (think large projects). It pays off when you have classes that intersect topics from both, or when you can knock off requirements from both with a single class.

For more than any practical purpose, this is something you do because you want to do so. Unless you really want to *go out of your way* to study this in order to enrich yourself, don't do it, since it will put more stress on you at least on the first two semesters when you're acclimating to college and even more stress when you need to be taking things like real analysis and advanced algorithms (at which point CS classes will have started to require a few hard proof classes as well) in the same semester.

Would you say that you're not getting enough from either major, since you have to limit the number of classes you take in order to not end up with a huge workload? Or are you still able to study both subjects in depth?

Very easy, like one extra year. Just take all your technical electives in the other degree. I got Engineering and Math degrees at same time.

>take all your technical electives in the other degree
Not sure how this works in Europe, I'll have to check.
>I got Engineering and Math degrees at same time.
In five years then? How were your grades and how did you work?

Five years and got good grades. It really was not hard at all. Just about all STEM majors allow math classes to be used as tech electives. Math is by far the easiest of the STEM degrees to get as a second degree.

What are you doing now? Are you in grad school?

Finished Masters degree in Engineering...
Somehow I have been working at an Engineering firm for over a decade doing IT/web development.
Life does not go the direction you thought it would. Not that I am complaining, 6 hours a day to shit post and cruise the internet and 2 hours to do real work.

>2 hours to do real work
what job

>what job
This is what scares me about modern education. The total, and complete, lack of reading comprehension.

Hint: what is the ONLY job mentioned in the THREE sentence post.

Answer: IT/web development

Please do not go into any engineering field. There is a large demand for Kindergarten teachers.

Maybe do a lighter course load if you really want to do it. It's not mandatory to finish your degree in 4 years

IT/web development isn't a job you retarded pretentious fuck.

>Maybe do a lighter course load if you really want to do it.

NO. This is wrong. As counter intuitive as it sounds, taking a LARGER load leads to HIGHER grades. When people are pressed for time they optimize their studying. For many students the last week of classes is when they learn more in that week than the entire rest of the semester. People are lazy if they have more time they will put off things until they are due, people with no free time HAVE to finish things early and plan ahead.

If you want to raise your grades take MORE not less classes. Of course this assumes you are not a quitter.

>IT/web development isn't a job

Well then I guess for the last decade I have been doing a non job.

I do Internet Technology support and develop information system management tools via web based interfaces. IT/Web development
You only need a few skills (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Java, SQL). All you do is make database connections look nice for searches and data representation. Interfaces should work with desktop and mobile devices.
Any idiot can do my job (But then I do have degrees in four subjects and several Masters degrees, so idiot to me is probably the smartest person you know). And YES,I can be arrogant because I AM that good, that 2 hours of my time is equivalent to 8 of a normal workers.

>I AM that good, that 2 hours of my time is equivalent to 8 of a normal workers.
You do fucking web dev and tech support. Kill yourself

>pic

As someone who lives near a middle school teacher, this image is highly accurate. I'm constantly hearing about what moronic thing they are required to teach.

Why would you want to do both?
Either you want a CS job or a maths job

Not for all people. I lighten my course load for two semesters and got all A's in classes I would of just got a C in because I had more time to look over the material instead of just focusing on taking 4 or 5 classes and predominately focusing on the ones needed for my major. After that I was able to do 19 credits a semester because all my classes were in my major which I'm very interested in

All that jealous inferiority complex butthurt.
Lel.

I'm able to study both in depth. I'm anticipating spending at most another year in school, but I've worked hard enough and saved enough for it to work and out.

As it is now, I feel like I'm having a fun time taking everything in.

A lot of "CS jobs" are done by maths majors

it's not difficult if it's going to be difficult for you you shouldn't attempt it because neither math nor comp sci are difficult

Maybe he wants to study something for the sake of studying it.
Just a thought.

Math at upper levels gets hard. I don't know what you're on about if you're telling me real analysis and topology aren't hard.

I'll give you CS since it gets hard in grad

real analysis and topology aren't "hard"

Ookay, Mr. Veeky Forums e-peen

I'm speaking of the rigor of the classes, not necessarily the topic. As a math student, you're still building intuition at that stage. I don't care how smart you fancy yourself to be; a lot of these classes are about constructing math, albeit already discovered math, with confidence and rigor, which I feel make them appropriately difficult.

double majoring isn't "hard" it's just time consuming; you're doing the exact same work as everybody else, you're just doing more.

Such as?

As a person who already knows computer science, it seems likely that you would be able to test out of most math classes. Being that you are interested in two Fields so interrelated, a double major would probably not be that difficult for you, nor would it require a lot of extra classes.

>nor would it require a lot of extra classes.
All the pure math classes is quite a lot already.