Existentialism General

Let's talk about existentialism Veeky Forums. Kierkegaard has interested me lately. Correct me if I am wrong, but his basic premise is that people must find their own meaning in life?

Who talks about the idea of meaning existing a priori and that it need only be shaped into a form that can be acted upon?

Sartre, Jean-Paul. Even more awful than Camus.

This sounds difficult.

Does anyone know in which work Kierkegaard basically says we need to find our own meaning in life? Was it Fear and Trembling?

I don't know if Kierkegaard said that we have to find our own meaning. That sounds close to relativism, and he was always a Christian.

Rather than finding the meaning in life, Kierkegaard's writing always seemed to me to be more about doing the right thing.

There is someone in existentialism that said we must find our own meaning in life. I think it was Victor Frankl. He coined logotherapy but was very heavily influenced by Kierkegaard.

That's what Sartre describes (with the example of a paper knife) in order to distinguish clearly his own thought from it. It refers more or less to Aristotle, but also to any traditional religious view.

>There is someone in existentialism that said we must find our own meaning in life.

Yeah, pretty much every existentialist.

This is off topic but I am almost halfway done an essay for my existentialism course. Would anyone be open to give me their thoughts on my drunken pseudo intellectual drivel?

Existentialism is for people who fell for the human condition meme and don't realize existential dread comes from the socio-econonic circumstances they live under.

H-Hegel, is it you?

sure

interesting but no but worth an essay

cool, got a throwaway email?

[email protected]

thanks. I'll send it to you when I get home maybe 20-30 minutes

go away vladimir

lel

Kierkegaard says that despair comes from a lack of belief in the Christian God

Existentialism and Marxism are for people who fell for the blank slate meme and don't realize nihilistic angst comes from the genetic inferiority they're endowed with.

sent

2Darwinian4me

got it and sent a few notes. Didn't know Frankl at all. Also I forgot to say that perhaps the "existential crisis" appears a bit abruptly in the essay, as if you didn't want to explain it a lil more, that may be slightly frustrating.