Meme physics, pseudoscience, and quackery general

Can Veeky Forums please redpill me on Structured Water?

I mean, in the sense of, my friend was telling me about it and actually fucking believe it. I countered his nonsensical arguments by insisting there were more important and relevant fringe theories to explore, namely, the flat earth theory.

What the fuck is wrong with people? What causes an otherwise intelligent person to fall for complete bull shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/did-the-soviet-union-ban-microwaves-due-to-health-concerns/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's true though. Check out this book called Life Force the Scientific Basis, it has over 1500 sources.

I must add that structured water has only been proven to manifest from experienced hands such as Qigong masters. I've not seen credible evidence to suggest that devices can accomplish the same task.

yeh water is structured cause it's slightly magnetic and it stays structured and retain memory even in a stochastic thermodynamic system. It must not change its structure when swallowed or moved around at all. Or when exposed to any heat. I'm sure it plays a significant role in cellular metabolism. Even if it did retain a structure it would be immediately fucking changed because of heat. God damn it all to fuck these are the same people that think microwaves are bad for you. Go take a lecture series on thermodynamics for fucks sake.

AFAIK microwaves essentially destroy food on a molecular level that's why microwave ovens were banned in the USSR back in the 70s.

Well obviously the structure of water changes but I've found it novel that Qigong masters can change the structure of water through mere subtle energy, hence why I mentioned that book. If it isn't helpful and you already have all of the answers why did you make this thread?

>What causes an otherwise intelligent person to fall for complete bull shit?
Memes. People don't give a fuck about facts our brains are wired for stories.

>Memes. People don't give a fuck about facts our brains are wired for stories.

I think this is it, honestly. When I asked him what evidence supported these claims... he said all kinds of people such as bakers, artists, industrial water users claimed incredible results.... turns out it was some shit tier youtube doc made in the 1990s that claimed all this shit.

I told him that I could just as easily produce a higher quality 'documentary' with all sorts of people claiming that my smelling farts was the secret of immortality.

It's really astonishing.

Fucking pseudoscience REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>This book goes unread and unchecked even though it's science

Figures.

>microwaves destroy food on a molecular level
>implying it's any different than what heat does when you cook food
FUCKING LEARN ABOUT HEAT FUCK
cooking your food at all will alter whatever it is you're cooking because you're fucking heating it up. Some of the molecules will break and become different compounds because you're fucking shaking them apart.
also not OP

checked

I mentioned microwave ovens dipshit, microwave ovens make molcules move around trillions of times per second, it destroys any nutritional value in food. OP isn't interested in learning about the subject he's talking about he's made a thread to circlejerk about how dumb people are.

>microwave ovens make molcules move around trillions of times per second
>it destroys any nutritional value in food
>OP isn't interested in learning about the subject he's talking about
(You) aren't interested in learning about the subject you're talking about
ftfy
keep it coming pseudo user I lived with a fucking pack of cargo cultists for years dealing with this shit I know there's nothing I will say to get through to you but venting like this is pure fucking therapy for me. Subtle energy, water memory, microwavesrbad, I'm sure next you'll be talking about your paleo diet and trying out sun gazing. What's next ormus?

OP here. What is your best ammunition against naturopathy and homeopathics?

Whenever they get lippy I ask them if they can help me out with some legitimate (actually pertaining to me) medical question I have... they always defer to an actual real doctor like the pussy charlatans they are.

In case anyones wondering ORMUS = Orbitally Rearranged Monoatomic Elements
>Monoatomic Elements fucking kek
they'll repair your dna, act as a superfertilizer, and are room temperature superconductors to start

a monoatomic element like mercury? or arsenic?

If you whisper the word love to water while you freeze it the crystal will be more symetrical. Hate has the opposite effect.

>What is your best ammunition against naturopathy and homeopathics?
7.62mm works pretty well.

Honestly I haven't found anything that works well. The cargo cultists mentioned are my fucking family - thankfully not all of them are like that - but they bring over friends that spout the same nonsense. My best tactic is to just stop giving them my attention when they start pseuding and that makes them change the subject. If I argue it they dig in their heels, and I'm sure that they take my silence as being close minded but that's the best I've gotten. I've been told multiple times that I'm a stark logical close minded person when I call bullshit on theories like mayans having levitating floating vehicles that used the earth's magnetic field and that was the reason they had gold capstones on their pyramids. These same people use chemical, particle, and atom interchangeably. None of them went beyond high school and think that they're educated cause they read a book 'the big bang is a lie' which has something to do with 'plasma physics' and they think they can legit hold a conversation in these fields. At the same time they anthropomorphize the fundamental forces and debate on if gravity is feminine and electromagnetism is masculine, and then say magnetism is feminine and electricity is masculine. There's just no fucking hope for these people man. They refuse to believe that tesla's 'hidden' technology is just fucking cellphone towers and you can't transmit power wirelessly over long distances because FUCKING INVERSE SQUARE LAW OF ELECTROMAGNETISM. I can't even get the inverse square law through their heads it's fucking crazy.

You recieved a taste with this book But I see you want some scans so just hold tight my friend.

fucking kek next time someone brings up ormus and starts to explain - oh so like arsenic?

Don't even bother user you think that book isn't on my families bookshelf? Go read earth ascending and let's talk about the fucking dreamspell tzolkin calendar and it's relation to the noosphere. or yes i bet you're the one that posted about masaru emoto's water freezing shit too.
I'm more educated on pseudoscience than the psueders man just go ahead and try to find something I haven't heard of. It's fucking bullshit and takes away from the real wonder of reality. Here's a supported fact - when you look up into the sky you're looking back in time, the farther away you look the further back in time you're peering. Get a telescope and you can see supernova that happened millions of years ago. Now that's fucking astounding, and true. Fuck pseudoscience and the cargo cultists that need it to uphold their magical reality. Missing the real magic. Motherfucking lasers and shit, all the photons are coherent so it's kinda like one giant photon wtf.

>Don't even bother posting science
Arrogance at it's worst, precisely the opposite of what science is about.

Here's the right one, to be clear I do not have all the answers but no one does really that's the point of science, you can't learn about stuff if you immediately paint anything that isn't well understood as bullshit without even considering the phenomena or testing it.

>no scientific method
>not science

>implying the book is scientific cause it says so
no user that book is literally on my mom's bookshelf
your claim of my arrogance is no different than when they claimed I was arrogant and close minded for saying the mayan levitating vehicle from earths magnetic field and gold capstoned pyramids thing was bullshit. I'd rather be 'close minded' than be so open minded by brain has fucking fallen out of my head. By close minded I mean I'm not gonna say 1+1 = 3 is as legit as 1+1 = 2 sorry bud this is base 10 and we're dealing with the classical definition of the addition operator there's not as much room as you think for debate.

OP here. I really like you. I agree with you, the only solution is to simply ignore them when they bring up the subject. That is a very good tactic and I will try it.

>mfw his evidence for homeopathy was that his friend, a practitioner of the quackery, 'makes like 100 grand a year bro' ... as if there aren't people who make millions, or even billions (eg: Bernie Madoff) by selling false bullshit.

What proof do you have that it is unscientific?

I'm not implying nything, science is based on observation and repeatable results. If you're interested in the subject just look up Structured Water in the Index.

The only person bringign up unscientific shit isyou my friend, no one else mentioned Mayans especially not me because most of their knowledge was burned or lost in time.

oh reich? orgone aka anti entropy aka life force? fucking kek literally einstein agreed to repeat his experiments and critiqued reich's experimental rigor. orgone was thrown away with the luminous aether in the early 20th century dude it's people like you that lack a scientific detachment to your claims and keep shit like this popping back up when it was laid to rest a fucking century ago.

jesus homeopathy is the ultimate lobotomy of reason
>the smaller dose you take the more effect it has
>mumble mumble subtle energy waves hands
I'm glad you're enjoying my rants user I'm so done with this shit

That actually was a small part of the book mostly covering the history of the science, let's see how you repond to pic related instead.

I take it you have at least an elementary understanding of math/physics? Living with these people must be sort of torture. But be honest user, did their endless missing-of-the-point not influence you in some way to want to actually find out the truth? I had a good chuckle at your post though.

I once farted in a hospital
Very soon after, a person who had been in a coma for three weeks spontanously revived
My farts woke the person from a coma. He takes me out to coffee every Sunday morning to show his gratitude.

>The only person bringign up unscientific shit isyou my friend, no one else mentioned Mayans especially not me
god damn your reading comprehension to hell me bringing up levitating mayan vehicles as an example of the ludicrous shit I have to deal with is not unscientific it's hyperbole. No my friend you are in fact the one bringing up unscientific shit like orgone and structured water and even doing it unironically.

Same user that posted You are a real science bro and you remind me of why I chose to study physics.

Offtopic shitposting, I thought this was Veeky Forums not /b/

See Your anger is unscientifc unjustified and ignorant.

How is my fart experiment off topic? It follows exactly the same logical form as the shit you posted in those screenshots.

Your shitty story mocking actual scientifc studies isn't reproducable.

now repeat the experiment
can't? Dang that's critical to the scientific method and to if you want to call something science.
One even two farms that were blessed by a guru and tested for disease isn't enough to isolate the cause with certainty for fucks sake correlation does not mean causation! This is part of the basis of the scientific method man! Fucking peer review and repeatability of experiments! What could cause those trees to not have that disease anymore? Who fucking knows maybe the guru really did do it but you can't prove shit with one study.

Excuse me bro, I fart whenever I go into hospitals, and like clockwork, people are constantly waking up from comas in the hospitals that I fart in.

But it has been reproduced in a variety of settings. If you can't keep up with the science don't just shitpost.

Enjoy your shit.

Have you tried faking enthusiasm and curiosity? Act as if you believe them and then ask details on how their claims manage to get around seemingly unbreakable laws of physics. When you act like you believe them they can't dig in their heels and call you a meanie, and instead will have to attempt answering your questions or admit that they can't.
In other words, make them uncomfortable by acting like a curious child asking too many questions.

you know it really did. Ironically enough I find myself to be enraptured in the mystery of the universe and believe in the wonder and 'magic' of it all. But I don't have to resort to cheap parlor tricks to feel that way and as a result my worldview isn't shattered at the thought of having no soul or nothing happening after you die. I did learn a lot about entrepreneurship from them though and am actually going back to finish a B.S. in Math.

Physics is always used as an example of the ultimate science but at a sub atomic level all of the usual rules of physics break down completely from what I understand.

you got the same false dichotomy of emotion/logic as my family. I don't have to justify my anger and being emotional while conducting an experiment (which we aren't doing here) isn't by definition unscientific. You're critiquing my critique and if you don't like my style then you are welcome to find someone with much more patience than me that can explain these things to you in a lecture series over the course of a couple years or go circle jerk with other cargo cultists that agree that your emotions will change snowflakes and that globs of water in different shapes has an effect on cellular metabolism and you can run your water through your god damn magnetic funnels all day long.

You have done absolutely nothing to refute my unified theory of spontaneous revival in the presence of human flatulence.

They don't break down, they just get very far removed from your physical intuition. Which can lead some people to not understand it and hence mistrust it.

You must be a teenager, that's the only reason I can come up with for your unscientific attitude towards anything you don't like. The fact you feel anger towards this subject means that if anyone ever showed you proof of its existance you'd never accept it which goes against science. Scientifc dogmas are only useful until they're disproven, much of the science that makes up our lives was science fiction a century ago. You sound like those guys in the 1800s who claimed "everything that will ever be invented has been invented"

Excellent thread, keep up the scientific research of putting your fingers in your ears on anything that doesn't conform to your feelings. Just remember in your later years that prayer has actually been shown to work scientifically many times now, i'm sure by the time you confirm the existance of subtle energy, precisely through doubting it, you'll be wise enough to appreciate it. Peace be with you.

Nice one fellow /b/tard ;)

that's the first thing I did, but they just answer any question you have within their own paradigm and pseudoscience is a large enough set of ideas that it is basically a worldview. Antivax, chemtrails, gmos, microwavesrbad, emotions affecting snowflakes, crystal healing, they all know about all those things and talk to each other about it. It's a new religious movement and may coalesce into a solid worldview that claims scientific knowledge while literally being the antithesis. Think mormons. That shit is the newest religion on the block, with scientology maybe being the next thing, but scientology isn't as popular as this hodgepodge, and between crystals, metaphysics books, homeopathy, and whatever else I'm sure the market value is in the billions. This shit is a religious movement masked as a sort of rational spiritualism. The science *supports* our views! And they all trick each other into this and then disregard the scientific method and rationalism and anyone who calls them out are the ignorant ones. The hypocrisy is fucking thick man it's horrifying.

Ironic since the same has been said about science.

>prayer has been shown to work scientifically
Okay cool. Who do I pray to?

The problem is they have never performed an experiment and seen results, so they have no bullshit filter. Mix that in with next to zero mathematical knowledge (primarily used to predict things and then see the outcome) and you have someone who has no way of discerning whether or not microwaves are harmful.

According to the few studies I've seen only Christians and Qigong masters from China have had repeatable results thus far but keep in mind that only an extremely small portion of studies have been conducted on this subject using the scientific method from what little I know.

see bitch I'm a math major and I have a much higher standard for proving something than the layman. I would be quite happy to accept proof of supernatural phenomenon and I actually don't rule them out as a possibility. The problem is that they are still unfalsifiable and none of the parlor tricks I've seen have satisfied me and many others. Aristotle called ferromagnetism the force of the soul. It wasn't until Gilbert and Boyle and some other cool fuckers finally figured out how to determine the exact properties of electromagnetism through experiment that we were able to say no, in fact, it is not the soul of the rocks, it has a list of these properties and we call it electromagnetism. Then over the course of many centuries we have been able to hone in on the exact properties of this force and have found its proper origins. Aristotle made an UNFALSIFIABLE claim that wasn't able to be made falsifiable until centuries later. You want to claim subtle energy? You want to claim quantum consciousness? Proof of burden is on you motherfucker and our CURRENT instruments are not effective in testing the claims and rendering them falsifiable. That doesn't mean they won't be falsifiable in the future, but it also may bid you well to LET GO of theories that HAVE been rendered falsifiable and FALSIFIED over a CENTURY ago.

>ironic since the same has been said about science
>science claims scientific knowledge while being its antithesis
>they all trick each other into this and disregard the scientific method and rationalism
are you sure user? scientists are pretty brutal with each others theories and tear each other down all the time. empirical facts are exactly that, empirical. You can repeat the experiment if you're skeptical, but you're probably gonna get the same results literally everyone else has, and if you don't it's probably because you fucked up, and your peers will be happy to show you how exactly you were a retarded brainlet in the engineering of your experiment. But I guess to you scientists are simultaneously too skeptical and close minded to outside ideas and also don't think critically enough about their own assumptions. Which is a very, very typical view nowadays in the public. It stems from lack of understanding of the field. The ignorant calling others ignorant.

Also, science works.

also why don't you try explaining the results of the experiment without misappropriating terms from physics like 'quantum' and the four fundamental forces. I haven't seen one yet. And if you're interested in the mind why don't you start trying to work on finding a model for consciousness that is actually useful?

>that's why microwave ovens were banned in the USSR back in the 70s.
nope:
snopes.com/did-the-soviet-union-ban-microwaves-due-to-health-concerns/
I linked Snopes because I don't expect you to take my claim that I fucking lived in the Soviet bloc during the 70s and heard of no such ban. it was an absurd place, but this particular absurdity is wholly made up.

Prayer has actually been shown to only be beneficial when the person who is being prayed for knows about it (placebo). All tests that remove this factor show no benefits.

>snopes
going by their track record im assuming its true then?

What I'm hearing is that mindpower is underrated.

>it has over 1500 sources
I'm sure I could find 1500 sources that say you can do magic with your butt if you try really hard.

>microwaves essentially destroy food on a molecular level
Are you fucking retarded?

Not 551 but heat more precisely destroys food's nutritional content on a molecular level

>microwave ovens destroy any nutritional value in food

here's your (You)

>What is your best ammunition against naturopathy and homeopathics?
10mm auto. It gives them a real problem to bitch about.

I don't read Australian you fucking asshole. Translate to American or gtfo.

Weeelllllll...
That IS a lot of sources, guys...

>What is your best ammunition against ... homeopathics?

Medicine gets stronger the more you dilute it, and becomes really, really strong when you dilute it to the point where there is no single molecule of your active ingredient still in the medicine.

On the face of it, nonsensical, but some folks believe it. But...

If that is true, all this water in the world that had been exposed to every possible compound for billions of years, and then diluted with more water until no trace of the compounds remains, is already powerful medicine able to cure every possible disease out there.

To summarize:

1: The premise is ridiculous

2: But if you believe it anyway, water is already a universal nostrum to cure all diseases, so going to the trouble of making "homeopathic medicine" is a waste of time.

They show a political bias, but on questions of fact, where they show your the sources that back up what they claim, their record is pretty good,