Since we don't really have a formal/rigorous study guide for mathematics I thought I'd make one...

Since we don't really have a formal/rigorous study guide for mathematics I thought I'd make one. These are all books I've personally used, and they're generally well received books too, and are the ones that I believe will give a student the best basis going into more advanced topics.

I'd love some feedback!

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.io
s3.amazonaws.com/aops-cdn.artofproblemsolving.com/products/prealgebra/toc.pdf
logicmatters.net/resources/pdfs/TeachYourselfLogic2016.pdf
guerrillamail.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is this the new meme list?

bump

>tfw no manga to motivate you further

Meme List v2.0

Is this new meme list better than the Wikia meme list?

Bump for more updated meme lists for math, physics & EE.

what if math is just a meme made by some monkeys

Dumbest retarded list ever. Hopefully it's a meme.

Saved. Thanks!

I have this

Why is the list dumb?

that's actually a good list op, thanks.

I like the random anime girl in the picture, makes your chart rigorous.

It makes me [math]rigorous[/math] as well.

on what level you need to be to start? i mean i just dont know how hard are those first books, im in hs and really interested in math

Ok, this one has to be bait. You don't need that much preparation for a calculus textbook. And why would one bother with a book as _basic_ as Basic Mathematics after all those proof and set theory books.

Some one post the googledriver with all of them, im a fucking poorfag

It makes my genitals "vigorous"

libgen.io

The idea is that you basically need no knowledge to start, but in reality most people will probably have basic high school knowledge at the very least.

>You don't need that much preparation for a calculus textbook
No, but you do need that much preparation for later stuff, and there's no point in reading a calculus book prematurely if you're not planning on stopping there. Only reason schools put it so early is that calculus is normally the highest level of math people study.

>And why would one bother with a book as _basic_ as Basic Mathematics after all those proof and set theory books
Because it deals with different subject matter entirely? Just because you've read set theory and proof techniques doesn't mean you know trigonometry.

>Because it deals with different subject matter entirely? Just because you've read set theory and proof techniques doesn't mean you know trigonometry.
Someone with the mathematical skill to go through those earlier books doesn't need Basic Mathematics to learn its subject matter.
Don't waste your time, life is short.

Some of these books have a lot of overlap. No one's gonna waste time reading 3 books about the same thing.

Also starting with rigorous books about logic and proofs then basic mathematics? Like, dafuck? Start with the basic stuff first.

Anyone know a good book that can teach the VERY BASICS of math like exponents, sets, roots, logarithm, etc.? I'm trying to get back into math but can't find a decent book for this.

Please no khan academy or other time wasting shit like that.

You underestimate me nibba

#
They complement each other.
One book can fill up where another book is lacking.
The overlap also helps to learn by Repetition .
We can also combine many books of the same subject to create the ultimate study note or even publish these notes as a book which will help others.

OP's meme list is better than the Khan Meme Academy for Reviewing Basic Math.

man can't wait until I get to post-calculus when I'm in the old folks home

That's by design. Actually an idea I adopted from Peter Smith of University of Cambridge, author of "Teach Yourself Logic".

Quote from him:
>I very strongly recommend tackling an area of logic by reading a series of
books which overlap in level (with the next one covering some of the same
ground and then pushing on from the previous one), rather than trying to
proceed by big leaps.
In fact, I probably can’t stress this advice too much (which applies equally to
getting to grips with any new area of mathematics). This approach will really help
to reinforce and deepen understanding as you re-encounter the same material at
different levels, coming at it from different angles, with different emphases.

Most books in the guide are actually pretty short, about 100-200 pages.

What about this one

Why is logics even included, its not used or studied in any great depth at all for pure maths or physics
Either you're pushing for an agenda
Or trying to justify yourself on logics

>time wasting shit like that
kys you fucking tard, Khan Academy is perfect for reviewing basic shit.

You basically included 5 copies of the same book. Nobody needs this much preparation for Apostol/Spivak.

serge lang - basic mathematics
khan academy is really shallow and not at all good as a foundation to study math further

Fuck you, bitch. I want a book that I can go through in a week or two just to brush up my skills, not watch hour long videos designed for tards like you on how to add or subtract.

this, also this list is sorely missing a problem solving book, like engel or zeist

I already have that book, it doesn't teach the VERY BASICS like exponents, etc. I plan to go through it AFTER I am 100% confident with my foundation in mathematics.

Nigga what do you mean???

Nigger you want khans and 7 grade stuff trust us
No shame in retouching the basics
Some maths profs have trouble with basic trig shit
Better know your shit then not

I mean that the book Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang doesn't teach you the VERY BASICS of mathematics like logarithm, exponents, sets, fractions, roots, etc. It starts at a higher level, linear algebra to be specific. I already know all these topics but just want a book that I can go through in a week or two to brush my skills. Of course these topics are so simple and short that I can just look them up on the internet individually but that method seems inefficient as fuck, a book is easier to go through.

Nigger you don't even know exponents how you gonna be able to go thru langs

You are literally wrong, the book doesn't start with linear algebra. Exponents, fractions, and roots are done in the first chapter. There's a chapter on the other elementary functions you're looking for later on. There's a chapter on sets.
You should be able to read Lang's book with no background, and it covers all the stuff you're looking for. You can either accept that or keep looking for a book even though the answer is in front of you.

> it starts at a higher level, linear algebra to be specific
not beyond a really basic level that you should know before starting the topics mentioned
maybe try rusczyk's AOPS vol 1 and 2?

Okay lets fucking settle this once and for all

Apostol or Spivak????

I'm not ashamed of anything, I just don't want to watch khan's stupid videos because a book is much faster and easier to go through.
By studying from the book(s) that I'm asking for here. I already know exponents but there are other topics on the same level that I'm not 100% confident about.
My bad. What about percents and other shit like that? Actually I was specifically looking for a book with the same list of contents as AOPS's "Prealgebra" or at least something similar like its Volume 1 and 2.
>s3.amazonaws.com/aops-cdn.artofproblemsolving.com/products/prealgebra/toc.pdf

Most of AOPS's books aren't available online. I managed to find Volume 1 but that's about it. And it seems incomplete without Volume 2.

Courant

Nobody?

It's bad.

Meh. Besides the stupid Bourbaki books on the bottom this looks like it was written by someone name dropping textbooks.

I can only speak for the foundations section , Jech is mostly a reference and survey book. If you really want to know grad set theory you want Kunen and then move on to a book, or more likely course notes in your subfield.

Hodges is another reference book.

HoTT is a meme.

just the fuck up retard, the fact that you would rather read a book to cover x material does not make khan academies videos on x topic shitty nor does it invalidate covering x topics even if x is the easiest most basic shit

Why are you so mad because I insulted Khan academy? Are you Khan or something?

What level of calculus is Spivak? What are the Spivak tier books recommended for algebra and analytical geometry?

Where do statistics and probability their fit in, I'm just now being into logic.
I'm assuming after I get a hold of formal logic and set theory I can start.
Recommend me some books to get me a good foundation of statistics and probability theory and the prerequisites?

Suugaku Girl you faggot.

I know Book of Proof discusses some combinatorics which pertains to probability and statistics, but there's actually no real book in that guide that deals with the subject completely.

would add "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" and probably some real texts on logic if you wanna rise above pleb tier.
Read logicmatters.net/resources/pdfs/TeachYourselfLogic2016.pdf for a really exhaustive guide in logic books

How do I read a book, do I just sit down and stare at it?

nvm im blind and didnt see that you already had logic books.
I still think TACPS is a good read (hell you end up solving Putnam problems), and the guide I posted is very recommendable if you wanna go deeper in logic.

So why should I trust this guide? You went to school for math or something? What's your background?

Hey anons
Can you guys create some throw away emails.

I've been interested in creating a math study list/guide for a while, and I'd be interested in forming a discussion group with you.

You can get a quick throwaway email address here:
guerrillamail.com/

You need to keep the short 8 letter code in green private and write it down, since anyone who has it can check the inbox. Then you post the long scrambled email address here and I'll message you. Emails only stay around for an hour

>insert book in anus
>wait until all of it is transmitted to your brain through osmosis
>???
>stop being a brainlet so you can btfo of retards on Veeky Forums

Didn't take much to figure out.

Why do math? What's the point? What's the end goal? I don't get it. Is there some ultimate mathematical concept that could be ascertained? Maybe, the formula for the universe?

I just mainlined 10 grams of pure math

RIP

1) Why do anything?
2) Because I find it entertaining
3) Because there are problems in engineering which are predicated on unsolved mathematical applications. Solving these problems can have real world applications, from which we can all benefit

hold up

so you tellin me

wait wait

no joke

u tellin me

are you saying

Hol up

hol up

hol up

is u sayin

that

math is useful and shiet?