Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

I have his Syntactic Structures book waiting to be read.

Should I?

I heard antiflag is gonna play at the house of blues this month do you want to go?

>not going to a used bookstore

Pleb detected.

>being poor is patrishun

I'm in physical pain looking at the "smart thinking books".

Is that in the Waterstones in Crawley?

What? You don't think 'A guide for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans parents' is smart thinking? Only clusterfucks like that are smart thinkers bud.

I would know, I have the second edition of 'lesbian gay transexual dysmorphic hermaphroditic post-marxist neo lacanian love orgy sessions featuring Gay Fierro the butch lesbian BUTCHER extraordinaire'

Nice

It's a thing for idiot college students to go to their gay little parties and walk around saying things like, "Oh, Noam Chomsky is just so smart. He's SCARY smart! It's amazing!" And they say this shit so much (despite having never read one of his books) that people start actually believing the myth that Chomsky is a real intellectual. I read Manufacturing Consent and thought it was one of the most idiotic "interpretations" on media interplay ever written in the history of political science.

Being middle class but shopping like you're poor has been cool for years.

>"Smart Thinking" Books
>Fat is a Feminist Issue

good god

that's why i download my books, fuck giving people like this money

>I thought

Factually, no one cares

The mark of an uneducated pseud with no deep interest in learning new things when you have all his political writings displayed but nothing on linguistics or philosophy. Shameful

answer

This, desu.

yes

I won't need a background in anything else?

Chomsky was writing under the influence of Quine and Carnap, but you don't really need to read them to understand what Chomsky is attempting to do. A basic understanding of the field of linguistics would obviously do some good.

tyvm

>Dick Swaab

No way someone has that name. Lower right corner

>no one cares
Factually, no one cares

>he's never heard of Richard Swaab.

>Chomsky was writing under the influence of Quine and Carnap
Huh? Chomsky was writing in complete opposition to Carnap and especially Quine. There was a whole dispute about this; they reject each other's foundations. Quine's linguistic behaviorism bears no resemblance to Chomsky's crypto-Cartesianism!

There is an "anarchist bookstore" in Pikes Place Seattle.
I paid $4.00 for a paperback of V. from 1963 but I begrudge having funded them at all.

There is a loft with pillows and blankets in one of the aisles upstairs. I imagine it is used frequently.

lol so anarchist what a nice building defined by zoning laws and regulated by land rent

Anarchists resent that we've come to such a level in which rent control is required so people won't become pawns in real estate speculation, and that's not a unknown fact by the way.

>Quine's linguistic behaviorism bears no resemblance to Chomsky's crypto-Cartesianism!
Can you say anything a bit more about this, the major differences?

A better sign would be "Just say no"

Someone should replace the book "woman" on the top shelf with Schopenhauer.

>not buying slightly used hardcopies

>Smart Thinking Books
>Woman

>not utilizing the local library like a true patrician bastard who doesn't waste $150,000 on an education he coulda got for $1.50 in late fees.

You're right
They should totally reject all of society and go live in a shack in the wilderness
In order to live by your definitions

>not stealing from big conglomerated bookstores, buying first editions from used bookstores and utilizing the local library for books you can't find
Are you even trying to live the literary counter culture life style?

Is that a Goodwill Hunting reference?

Realtalk, books depreciate in value worse than cars, pretty much the only reason to buy new from a brick-and-mortar location is if you have to have something right now or it's a kind of book that doesn't really show up used (i.e. some books on computers and technology).

All those different editions that don't match